FR or Cupra?

danw

Hi all
looking at buying a new leon and just been thinking the petrol FR lately, but there is not that much price difference compared with the more powerful Cupra.

Can anyone give me a summary of what the advantages one car may have over the other?

Is it worth the extra money, cost, insurance, fuel etc?

any feedback appreciated.

leviathan18

Jan 30, 2007
Venezuela, Caracas
well let me lay it down

Cupra

old 2.0tfsi (they renamed the engine to tsi but is the old one)
bigger turbo K04
better brakes 345mm
all black interior
better seats
lower stance
better dampers
bigger sway bars
better rods
better camshafts (not 100% sure if the cupra has de S3 ones)
better position of the divert valve

the FR

the new tsi 211hp
different turbo maker IHI instead of B&W a little bit smaller than the original K03 (IHI makes the turbo for subaru)
better camshaft design for HPFP (prone to cam follower failure in the old TFSI engine)

prosa

leviathan18,

hey there mate. Dont want to start another thread and be redundant.... I was reading your reply and you said the turbo on the new 2010 FR is smaller.. I just purchased mine two weeks ago and I was wondering if you know if the K04 is a direct swap on a 2010 2.0 TSI?

I have a chance of picking one up really cheap. I know they changed the head on the TSI but I dont know if the manifold is the same.

Cheers

jezyg

Feb 21, 2003
Derby
Cupra also has better residuals than the FR TSi I think 38% against 42% as an average.

If I was going petrol it would be the Cupra all the way worth the extra IMO yes slightly higher insurance and worse mpg. Although FL Cupra is 3-4mpg more effcient then Pre FL Cupra and about 15g/cO2 better as well.

densil

Feb 22, 2007
Atthough with the pre-FL, I looked at both and just preferred the FR. Small things such as the Cupra instrument decals, the oval exhaust, the seats and even the external styling differences just seemed a bit over the top on the Cupra. Combined with the lower initial cost (which was pretty significant) the lower insurance and the improved fuel consumption of the FR made it a no brainer for me.

Horses for courses I guess!

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
Cupra also has noticeable better ride than FR due to reduced weight of the alloy suspension arms and softer springs.
Wouldn't recommend FR ride at all, especially since the winter has left the roads around my area like the surface of the moon ! It will take out your fillings and leave any excess bodyfat you have in permanent motion ! :D

Also: I can get 40Mpg out of mine if I drive very carefully...but why would you want to ?
I average about 29Mpg.

Last edited:

danw

Thanks for all the information guys. Much appreciated. I think at this stage it would be really helpful to know how real world mpg of the new cupra compares to that if the new fr. Can sort if deal with the insurance and tax as it is a yearly thing where as mpg effects day to day costs.

jaykicksass

2011 SEAT Leon SE 1.2 tsi
Jun 11, 2009
devon
Cupra also has noticeable better ride than FR due to reduced weight of the alloy suspension arms and softer springs.
Wouldn't recommend FR ride at all, especially since the winter has left the roads around my area like the surface of the moon ! It will take out your fillings and leave any excess bodyfat you have in permanent motion ! :D

Also: I can get 40Mpg out of mine if I drive very carefully...but why would you want to ?
I average about 29Mpg.

The FL FR has a much better ride than the pre-FL I have the diesel and i love it the spec it amazing as standard!

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
3 numbers for you sir 360bhp with some tweeking, Fu*k DSG :lol:.

Indeed, however bear in mind that an FR DSG with 'some tweaking' can be at the same figures...

If you want a petrol car I'd get the Cupra unless you want DSG, as aside from that there is no logical reason to get it.

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Indeed, however bear in mind that an FR DSG with 'some tweaking' can be at the same figures...

If you want a petrol car I'd get the Cupra unless you want DSG, as aside from that there is no logical reason to get it.

Some :confused: id say a fair bit more tweaking and £££ to get their than the Cupra and that money could be spent on handling mods.

http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/jkmtfsi-K04-upgrade.htm and that doesnt include hpfp, tbe, ic, Intake and bigger brakes.

All im saying is if the OP gets the modding bug hes much better off with the cupra.

Jedimaster65

Searching for a clear lap
Aug 13, 2007
Cheshire
Some id say a fair bit more tweaking and £££ to get their than the Cupra and that money could be spent on handling mods.

Yeah I believe the DSG would struggle with 300 Bhp plus...probably result in TWO broken clutches ! ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members