Blown Turbo , Help Required

gasaxe

Hi everyone ,

First time poster after a little advice,

I purchased an 06 Leon 2.0 DSG in september with 22k miles on it from a dealer, since then ive done 6k miles but 3 weeks ago the turbo blow up on it. The garage have had it since then and rang yesterday quoting me £1700 for a replacement as its not covered by warrenty they supplied with the car (had to buy extra warrenty on purchase for this which the sales person never told me).

Does any one know were I stand ? Is this common on a Leon for a turbo to blow like this?

What should i do fell annoyed as I only paid £10k for it 6 months ago (under fiance,could i claim on this?)

Cheers

Gas

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Blown turbos are not something I have heard many of, on here or otherwise. You say you bought your car six months ago. Is it just under six months, or just over? You have a degree of protection under the Sale of Goods Act that states that all goods sold must be fit for purpose. It is generally easier to get things sorted if you bought the goods within the last six months.
If you are willing to take them on, I can point you in the right direction (but it will be a bit of a battle).

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Hi everyone ,

First time poster after a little advice,

I purchased an 06 Leon 2.0 DSG in september with 22k miles on it from a dealer, since then ive done 6k miles but 3 weeks ago the turbo blow up on it. The garage have had it since then and rang yesterday quoting me £1700 for a replacement as its not covered by warrenty they supplied with the car (had to buy extra warrenty on purchase for this which the sales person never told me).

Does any one know were I stand ? Is this common on a Leon for a turbo to blow like this?

What should i do fell annoyed as I only paid £10k for it 6 months ago (under fiance,could i claim on this?)

Cheers

Gas

bummer , firstly £1700 for just a blown turbo is well overpriced.
did you buy it from a SEAT dealership?
not having a warranty that doesnt cover the turbo is a joke.
i would quote the not fit for purpose act at them , as long as the car has full service history then you wont have them wriggling out , dont settle for a 50 / 50 settlement either.

stick yo your guns , contact your finance company and let them battle it for you as well.

chris@lworth

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Blown turbos are not something I have heard many of, on here or otherwise. You say you bought your car six months ago. Is it just under six months, or just over? You have a degree of protection under the Sale of Goods Act that states that all goods sold must be fit for purpose. It is generally easier to get things sorted if you bought the goods within the last six months.
If you are willing to take them on, I can point you in the right direction (but it will be a bit of a battle).

2zeroalpha - you are totally right. Can I ask where did you purchase the car from & also what finance company is it???

You can get the finance company involved aswell as you (should be) on what is know as a 'triparty agreement'. This means that there are three people involved in your Leon - You, the Finance company and the dealer. So should the dealer mess you around you can bully the finance company into helping you.

I hope that everything works out for you!!

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
this is not a common fault with TFSI engines...mines at 61k nothing blown yet and yes 1700 is way overpriced heck you can get a cupra turbo for that instead but thats another story - Hope everything works out for you which im sure it will!

gasaxe

2zeroalpha - you are totally right. Can I ask where did you purchase the car from & also what finance company is it???

You can get the finance company involved aswell as you (should be) on what is know as a 'triparty agreement'. This means that there are three people involved in your Leon - You, the Finance company and the dealer. So should the dealer mess you around you can bully the finance company into helping you.

I hope that everything works out for you!!

If bought the car from a Seat dealership that has since been taken over by a nationwide chain (Should I really mention names ?) and my fiance company is Black Horse.

The car was bought on the 8/10/2009 and was towed into the garage on the 24/3/2010 , under 6 months.

The replacement quote was for a turbo,intercooler/exhaust strip and clean and oil and filter.

Thanks for all replies so far

Gasaxe

reesy

May 4, 2007
South Wales
Hi mate

if you have no joy with the seller, I have a tfsi fr k03 turbo in the garage and the oem intercooler as I replaced it with with the s3 intercooler.

Give me pm if your interested

Reesy

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
If bought the car from a Seat dealership that has since been taken over by a nationwide chain (Should I really mention names ?) and my fiance company is Black Horse.

The car was bought on the 8/10/2009 and was towed into the garage on the 24/3/2010 , under 6 months.

The replacement quote was for a turbo,intercooler/exhaust strip and clean and oil and filter.

Gasaxe

Right here's what you do:
Explain to them over the phone or in person that you fully expect them to fix it under sale of goods act as mentioned above. They will most likely stonewall you, or possibly not even know what SOGA is! Then next step:
Recorded delivery letter to the dealership general manager. You state all the facts to them. Then you say that you are giving them 14 days from the date of the letter to fix the issue with no charge to yourself as you believe the vehicle wasn't fit for purpose under the Sale Of Goods act. Wait for their response if they agree then all good.
If not then you follow it up with second recorded delivery letter saying that you will reject the car under SOGA and you are involving your finance company. Mark it: "Letter Before Action". Give them a shorter deadline this time, maybe ten days.
If you've not received a satisfactory answer then you formally reject the car through your finanace company, but we'll cover that if we get there.

chris@lworth

Gasaxe

I have just been speaking with my Aftersales Director and weather your car is on a Seat 'Named Component' or an 'All Component' guarantee it is covered. That is providing you were sold the car as an 'Approved' Seat (which all Seat garages should do). I cant see what the problem is as it doesn't cost them anything.

Yes, Blackhorse will most likely be able to cover you under the Triparty Law (unless they set it up as an AutoLoan - personal loan) so I would contact them. (I think the number is: 0845 300 0022). Depending how far away you are we would certainly look at doing something for you. Keep me posted.! Fingers Crossed.!

2zeroalpha

Chippin at the chalkface
Feb 12, 2008
Yorkshire
What he said! Nice to see a delaership taking an interest Chris. Reminds me why I tried selling my k1 to you guys :)

Gasaxe, if you try all of what Chris says and get nowhere then get that first recorded delivery letter off to them!

chris@lworth

What he said! Nice to see a delaership taking an interest Chris. Reminds me why I tried selling my k1 to you guys :)

Gasaxe, if you try all of what Chris says and get nowhere then get that first recorded delivery letter off to them!

Thank you buddy. It always makes me laugh how Dealerships/sales executives moan about the reputation they get however treat people in this way.!!! What on earth do they expect.!?

I try to help / advise where ever I can - I guess I just think and hope what goes around will come back around!!!

BlackMagicLeon

Jun 11, 2008
Hampshire
bummer , firstly £1700 for just a blown turbo is well overpriced.

Depending on the extent of the damage and what else needs to be replaced that doesn't sound out of the ballpark...

My turbo blew a couple of weeks ago at 60k. It broke the compressor shaft at the bearings so it sent a load of shrapnel and most of the engine oil around the induction system. Needed new turbo (~£700) and intercooler (~£200) as well as some replacement pipework which had shrapnel embedded in it (and those are trade prices BTW). Add to that the labour cost for stripping and cleaning out the induction system etc of oil (including hydraulic'd piston chambers) and fitting the new turbo and intercooler and it all starts to add up...

4523294138_bc9f691d77_o.jpg

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
as has been said, if the car was bought as an 'approved used car' from a SEAT main dealer, it will be under warranty

chris@lworth

Morning all...

After speaking with you yesterday on the phone to advise alittle, did you get anywhere? I know its a bit of a waiting game while you wait for replies from the finance company, Seat UK and the dealer. The frustrating thing with the Finance Company is that it is mostly done via letters and post.! Hang in there though.!

gasaxe

Update:

First thank you to everyone for your replies they have been most helpfull.

1. Have made contact with Black Horse who are sending out all the relervent forms to fill in and send back.

2. Spoke with trading standards who said that i should be rejecting as unsatisfactory quality and have sent template letters to fill in to send to the garage and finance company.

3. Thanks Chris for the phone call yesterday, I rang Seat but the chap on the phone was'nt really that helpfull.

UPDATE UPDATE

Whilst ive been on here typing I have had contact for the garage manager again offering me this,

1. 50/50 split in repairs cost

0r

2. The garage to pay for an independant check of the car and depending on the outcome is who pays the bill.

The manager has said he is trying his best to help me and has contacted the warrenty company and Seat UK but has not had any luck.

Thanks all again very everyones input

Gas

Last edited by a moderator:

phil_monk31

Feb 22, 2010
don't take the 50/50...... you should not be paying anything. My dad is a warranty manager for Hyundai UK, They had a Getz TDI in there the other day with a failed turbo after 90K and 4 years and 300 Days.

It was replaced without any problems .......... why are SEAT not doing the same?

gasaxe

don't take the 50/50...... you should not be paying anything. My dad is a warranty manager for Hyundai UK, They had a Getz TDI in there the other day with a failed turbo after 90K and 4 years and 300 Days.

It was replaced without any problems .......... why are SEAT not doing the same?

That i dont know !!!

Gas

chris@lworth

That is great news Gas, however the 50/50 seems like a gesture to make it seem like they are trying something and put you off the trail.

It might not be too bad of an idea if you go down the route of getting them to pay to do the check - but you chose where it goes. Also dont sign anything, that way then if they come back and say for what ever reason it isn't covered then your not tied into paying anything. I can't understand what an 'independant check' will uncover though?!?! The car is broken and we already know that, unless they say certain parts are/aren't covered?!?

Regarding the Hyundai the car at 4yrs 300days will have still been under FULL Manafactures Warranty therefore the work shouldn't have been questioned (unless the car had been modified or not serviced as should have) but the Leon should be covered by a different Warranty. Which should still cover the turbo but there is where the disagreement has come from.

I would just fill the forms in and make sure the dealership are aware that you are also going down there route.

Regards, Chris