Nerdy Things To Do In An Altea!

Hampton Caught

No It's These Trousers
Dec 8, 2009
Near Hampton Court
Thought this might be an interesting idea for a thread.......!

I've been making the boring daily drive a little bit more interesting by trying a few tests in the Freetrack. For example, I don't have to use cruise control to keep my speed at 30 mph in (fairly flat) residential roads as I leave the car in 6th and chug along on tick-over. The speedo reads 32 mph, so that's probbaly about the legal limit.

Another one is seeing how slowly I can set the cruise control to work. So far, I've managed 28 mph, though why anyone would want to do that, I don't know. Can anyone beat a lwest speed of 28 mph?

What other 'nerdy' games or tricks have you found your car can do?

Cheers, Steve

(Car is a Freetrack with the 170 Ps diesel engine)

oldtimer

Mar 3, 2008
Wales
Are you sure you ought to be driving on public roads, while performing silly things like that!! If you are that bored I'd try walking.

Dec 5, 2007
N W Leeds
I use cruise control all the time, 28 seems to be limit. My stretch of road to work is 8 miles and has 25, yes 25 feckin Gatsos. Cruise, brake, bang on cruise, brake etc Who needs accelerator pedal

Hampton Caught

No It's These Trousers
Dec 8, 2009
Near Hampton Court
I use cruise control all the time, 28 seems to be limit. My stretch of road to work is 8 miles and has 25, yes 25 feckin Gatsos. Cruise, brake, bang on cruise, brake etc Who needs accelerator pedal

Hee hee, I know just what you mean. Better mooch along and see how the mpg figure creeps up rather than run the risk of the boys in blue aiming their hair dryers at you!

Don't worry Oldtimer, it's all perfectly safe - the traffic around here doesn't go very fast anyway! At the same time, I can feel a warm, environmental glow as chugging along helps preserve habitats for Polar Bears, or somesuch!

Techie, I quite agree with you. It's not a good idea to labour an engine. On the occasions I do get to drive our clogged and pot-holed roads at more than 30, it's great exercising the 170 horses and especially the 258 lb ft of torque. ;)

What about odd/ bizarre or other features of our cars that keep you amused as you're driving along?

Cheers, Steve

FR+TDI

Jul 8, 2007
Carmarthenshire, Wales.
lol, I like to set the cruise at a reasonable, say 50mph, then go on to a nice B road which I know well then click 'resume' - ooooh its like a Play Station game!!!

PhilOfCas

Nov 2, 2006
The capital of Yorkshire
20mph is the lowest you can set cruise on mine :D

I'm no expert, but 30mph in 6th on tickover sounds like it'll knock the fook out of the engine or drivetrain :shrug:, it'll be labouring more than a 7 stone women trying to give birth to a 10 pounder :D

Like FR+TDI, I too like setting the cruise at a high speed (legal obviously) and pressing resume when you're driving a lot slower, lovely [B)]

Last edited:

8MU

I know its not big and I know its not clever but how about when changeing lanes on a motorway doing so without hitting a cats eye

alteadriver

I know its not big and I know its not clever but how about when changeing lanes on a motorway doing so without hitting a cats eye

x 3 Yup done that too... but not in the Altea...yet :whistle:

redlockrasta

2007 Altea XL 2.0 TDI Stylance
Mar 31, 2010
Warwickshire
Surely I cannot be the only one who folds electric mirrors to go through narrow gaps? and it is good to see the ESP light flash when possible :whistle:

Last edited: