Xenomatch Bulbs

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
And how much are they? Probably not a tenner
Ive tested these (not in a leon admittidly) so know what they are like. Yes i know they are no real HID lights and know all the splur about gas filling etc etc
All I am saying is that when put next to another car with HID kit there was no noticeable difference (Both Evo VI). So from a saving view of about £140 then trying out a £11.99 set was a no brianer. If however they dont perform as well as they did in the Evo then I will look at the HID kit.

Did you get a chance to check these out, Karl? Keen to hear how you get on, I adjusted my headlight angle a bit last night as even with the adjuster on the dash as high as it'll go the beams only went about 2 car lengths ahead - not good on 70mph roads with no streetlights. If these bulbs are good I'll order a set of dipped and sidelights today.

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
I put them in last night but havnt used the car in the dark yet
Hopefully will get the chance to test tonight. When i switch them on in the garage they did look white and not "candle like" like the OEMs.
The OEM side like let them down now though

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Sounds like a main beam situation to me, or a slow down situation :p

The main beam thing wasn't much of an option with oncoming traffic so it was a slow down situation, but even 50mph didn't feel very safe only being able to see about 20 feet in front of the car. It's a fair bit better now but do think I need brighter bulbs to be properly safe.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
I adjusted my headlight angle a bit last night as even with the adjuster on the dash as high as it'll go the beams only went about 2 car lengths ahead - not good on 70mph roads with no streetlights. .

i had this , Hids did improve it , but then i went and i had the beam pattern adjusted too high , and i can manually turn it back dow for normal driving not to blind others - its its made a huge difference

i know its meant for bringing the level back down when yer cars full etc , but its never full so thats what i done to overcome that problem

Last edited:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Chester wrote

Mmm, you're right about the blue filter effectively limiting the amount of light from the bulb, especially from other parts of the colour spectrum. However I do believe the Xenon gas helps, possibly just by changing the colour temperature of the light output.

The use of a "premium fill" gas, say krypton or xenon, rather than argon extends the life of the bulb and allows the filament to run hotter. Colour temperatures for these bulbs are in the 3K region. Hotter running will push up the colour temperature a little, but not noticably. The gas fill does not take part in the light emission process, being there only to stop the filament oxidising.

The HID process is completely different, in it the gas is at a specific low pressure and is stimulated by the application of electric current into glowing, the actual gas atoms themselves emit light. There are very specific conditions under which this occurs, and they are not approached inside a filament bulb.

Even if that is the case and there aren't any more lumens from these 'cosmetic' bulbs, it does add clarity to night time driving.

I'm not sure how that would work. How does having less light, and of a restricted spectral range, make things clearer?

Hmmm. Maybe a single colour or narrow band makes it easier for the eye to focus . But you'd lose colour distinctions, like under the old yellow streetlights of days gone by (the low-pressure sodium lights)

I don't believe having a 'blue tinge' to headlamps helps one bit though. They are distracting for other road users and the filtered affect cannot offer any more visibility in real terms at dusk or at night.

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
Right, test them last night and even for 11 quid I was very impressed.
Compared to TubbyTwos lights that were reccommeded by people on here they blew them away in test of colour (they are white) and range or light.

Well get pics up later

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
Right here some pics... we didnt get to test the beam on a dark road next to each other and take pics as it was too busy but driving down dark country roads the Xeno match did perform well.
I'm no photographer either so quality probably isnt the best bust you can see that mine more white than blue.

P1020482.jpg

P1020485.jpg

P1020488.jpg

P1020492.jpg

P1020494.jpg

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
You can get hids for 40 odd quid my 1st set of bulbs for it lasted 3 years , bargin if you ask me and the light the produce is the nuts

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
You can get hids for 40 odd quid my 1st set of bulbs for it lasted 3 years , bargin if you ask me and the light the produce is the nuts

thats my plan, you can see the MTECs in my car in the pics above are bright but they dont project the light enough.

HIDs are gonna be the next move for me :D

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
OK I've just ordered a set of the Xenomatch dipped beam bulbs and a set of the LED sidelights while I was at it. I'll post back here re. the LED sidelights once they've arrived and I've had a chance to check them out too.

Cheers for the heads up on these Karlw, hopefully they'll help night-time driving without having to go to the lenghts of installing HIDs.

TubbyTwo

Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
what we should have really done was a view from the drivers seat of each car somewhere with no street lighting to show the light pattern and distance etc.

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
what we should have really done was a view from the drivers seat of each car somewhere with no street lighting to show the light pattern and distance etc.

I did think about that too but it was difficult ro stop anywhere where we would match them up side by side :cry:

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Easiest would be take it in turns in each car with one person driving and the other taking photos. Couldn't put up proper side-by-side shots but would at least manage something as a comparison :)

TubbyTwo

Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
i might crack out the SLR tonight and get some pics of the MTECs dismal lighting lol

at least it will save people getting disapointed!

8bit

Feb 11, 2010
Aberdeen
Karl, did your bulbs take a long time to arrive? Ordered mine a week ago and they've still not shown up, despite them apparently shipping on the 20th. So much for express delivery...

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members