The secret to decent MPG in your LCR !

revere

Nov 10, 2009
Glasgow
As said above I didn't buy the car to drive like a granny, there is nothing more that I love than opening her up but I drive a 45 mile round trip 5 days a week to work and it makes a big difference to my pocket. I thought some other peeps might appreciate the economy factor !

Jun 16, 2008
for sure, if its saving u alot of money then why not right?

im sure u open her up on the weekends or something :)

revere

Nov 10, 2009
Glasgow
for sure, if its saving u alot of money then why not right?

im sure u open her up on the weekends or something :)

Sometimes I forget how rapid the car is after driving like a snail all week. Put my foot down after work, blinked, looked down and was seeing myself at a ridiculous speed :rocker:

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
Sometimes I forget how rapid the car is after driving like a snail all week. Put my foot down after work, blinked, looked down and was seeing myself at a ridiculous speed :rocker:

Another bonus of driving carefully - car feels so much better when you do give it the beans!

collins

Sep 29, 2009
Ettington,Warwickshire
loving this topic,seeme everyone likes to have a laugh at the mpg,but still gives it a good old squirt now and again.i feel the same as many,although it is nice to see a good mpg now and again the car is all about putting a smile on my face,not spare money in my pocket,because what i dont spend on petrol im saving for modding!

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
I am currently on a mission just to see how many miles I can get out of a tank, so am driving extremely carefully - I find the best thing for economy is not how hard you accelerate, but how hard you brake. If you don't use the brakes, and just freewheel to slow down, or use engine braking (so the MPG reads --.-) you will do much better than just accelerating gently and still wasting all the petrol used by braking to a stop again.

As said, this car aint about MPG, and I CERTAINLY don't plan on carrying this on, just an interesting test to see how economical these engines can actually be...

For anyone whose interested, I have done a 20 mile trip home from petrol station, 2 trips to work and back(18miles each way all A roads), a little 5 mile pootle around town with the mrs and then my trip to work today (roughly 120 miles) and am currently averaging....

41.5mpg!

Needle hasnt even got halfway between 3/4 and full yet! apparently I have 420 miles to go on this tank.....

I know the car aint designed to be frugal, but it makes a bloody big difference to your pocket, and with fuel prices these days I aint suprised I'm the only one who is starting to look at MPGs!

(p.s. sorry to the likes of bret +godber!)

You have done 120m and the range is still reading 420, add on the additional 30m or so that you can get past the 0 range and that is around 570m:blink:

Not a chance, i carried out this test quite a few times (on long motorway runs) and best i managed was low 400's (418 IIRC)

Can't see you getting 570 to a tank, that would be 47.5mpg average over the whole tank. (570/12)

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
I think there is a time for driving economically and a time for driving like a hooligan.

I generally drive sensibly on a day to day basis (to and from work) and i get around 28 - 31mpg. I can get more if i drive longer distances 35 - 38mpg.

For me the LCR is a really practical performance hatch batch, it ticks so many boxes and one of those is when you need it to, long journeys, just before pay day etc... you can get decent MPG. When you compare a remapped LCR against other equally quick cars, the vast majority of them have considerably lower MPG.

The Focus ST being a perfect example, a great car but its very thirsty. When the MPG doesn't match the performance it's like your being small changed. :no:

If your car is going to guzzle fuel like its going out of fashion then it needs to offer sufficient performance and noise etc so you can forgive it for its thirst.

I'm all for purposely going for a drive just to enjoy you car, after driving around town like an old lady for a week, when i do take my car out for blast (early morning / late night) it feels so much quicker because it gives you contrast. :drive2:

Unfortunately with every rising fuel prices it has become a luxury... but it will be a luxury i will always indulge in! :yes:

Last edited:

collins

Sep 29, 2009
Ettington,Warwickshire
I think there is a time for driving economically and a time for driving like a hooligan.

I generally drive sensibly on a day to day basis (to and from work) and i get around 28 - 31mpg. I can get more if i drive longer distances 35 - 38mpg.

For me the LCR is a really practical performance hatch batch, it ticks so many boxes and one of those is when you need it to, long journeys, just before pay day etc... you can get decent MPG. When you compare a remapped LCR against other equally quick cars, the vast majority of them have considerably lower MPG.

The Focus ST being a perfect example, a great car but its very thirsty. When the MPG doesn't match the performance it's like your being small changed. :no:

If your car is going to guzzle fuel like its going out of fashion then it needs to offer sufficient performance and noise etc so you can forgive it for its thirst.

I'm all for purposely going for a drive just to enjoy you car, after driving around town like an old lady for a week, when i do take my car out for blast (early morning / late night) it feels so much quicker because it gives you contrast. :drive2:

Unfortunately with every rising fuel prices it has become a luxury... but it will be a luxury i will always indulge in! :yes:

couldnt have put it better myself!i did try.lol

Mark300zx

Apr 24, 2008
Surrey/SW London
[4]thing is, if you start to drive like this the ECU will adapt and it will feel sluggish when you actually do give it the beans

unless you have a VAG COM/liquid gauge.....you'll have to manually reset the TB

Doesn't the Leon have an open and closed loop management system?

speedinsaxo

Jun 7, 2003
Visit site

Ditto.
So one day I get 500 miles to a tank and the next the mpg reading is near single figures...

DOLBY

Jun 24, 2006
North of London
www.facebook.com
i think we would all like our car to be more frugal, but i think the point in this thread or what the OP was saying, was to drive ridiculously slow just to eek a few more miles out of the car is pointless...

revere

Nov 10, 2009
Glasgow
i think we would all like our car to be more frugal, but i think the point in this thread or what the OP was saying, was to drive ridiculously slow just to eek a few more miles out of the car is pointless...

The point was not "Drive ridiculously slow". All it was simply telling people is how to get a decent MPG!

It does not imply "Drive like slow/like a granny to eek out extra" at all.

Shoot me for trying to be helpful FFS !

3formrhalez

Apr 22, 2010
Sussex
Before the recession!!!... i had a 53 plate red cupra R 225, my absolute pride and joy........................now i share my girlfriends beetle turbo..........not only alot slower but also just as bad on fuel!!!!! So all be grateful you still got your R's and think of me filling up a girls car that wouldnt get near any of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol:

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
The point was not "Drive ridiculously slow". All it was simply telling people is how to get a decent MPG!

It does not imply "Drive like slow/like a granny to eek out extra" at all.

Shoot me for trying to be helpful FFS !

You got the wrong of the stick matey, he wasn't shooting you down. Admittedly I miss read his post the first time around, it easy to miss read that sentence. :)

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
You have done 120m and the range is still reading 420, add on the additional 30m or so that you can get past the 0 range and that is around 570m:blink:

Not a chance, i carried out this test quite a few times (on long motorway runs) and best i managed was low 400's (418 IIRC)

Can't see you getting 570 to a tank, that would be 47.5mpg average over the whole tank. (570/12)

Only quoting the figures on the trip computer matey.

It's never accurate - as the petrol gaugue reads halfway when you've got more like 1/3 of a tank left, I reckon the trip computer goes by this, hence over-estimates the range left in the tank when you're more than half full.

Mine doesnt have 30 miles left when it's on 0 - I filled up with 56 litres the other day, and it had only just hit 0 about 2 miles before.

Using 56 litres as the tank size (may be possible to fit slightly more in, but this is biggest value I have ever seen):

56 / 4.546 = 12.32

12.32 * 42.2 (current MPG reading) gives 520 miles, not too far off the values given earlier.

I'm not one for bullsh*tting mate, I am just using the figures the car is giving me.

Will have to see how far I actually get with it, as trip computers have a reputation for over-egging the MPG readings...

On way back from castle combe yesterday, I hit 200 miles, and the needle was bang on 3/4 full.

^^^^i agree mitchy

Impossible, even if you do mega economic driving (and probably killing the clutch in the process you will get 400 or so from tank (if very lucky)

It's not killing the clutch mate, admittedly I am using higher gears, but given the tiny amount of throttle I'm giving it, the engine wont be producing anywhere near enough torque to be ripping the clutch to pieces.

mikeholroyd

I can't believe some of the posts on this thread.
Hot hatches or not, your cars are lethal weapons, and if you insist on driving them in the way you so proudly and arrogantly say you do, it's only a matter of time before you kill yourself, or more importantly, someone else, on the road.

Fair enough, I'm only running a standard 1.6, so could not compete with the Cupra brigade even if I wanted to, but at least I know that I'm not thrashing the living daylights out of my car, and if something untoward does happen, it won't be my stupidity that causes it.

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
I can't believe some of the posts on this thread.
Hot hatches or not, your cars are lethal weapons, and if you insist on driving them in the way you so proudly and arrogantly say you do, it's only a matter of time before you kill yourself, or more importantly, someone else, on the road.

Fair enough, I'm only running a standard 1.6, so could not compete with the Cupra brigade even if I wanted to, but at least I know that I'm not thrashing the living daylights out of my car, and if something untoward does happen, it won't be my stupidity that causes it.

I've seen people drive more dangerously in low power cars than high powered cars.

It's not the speed or aggressiveness of the driving so long as those factors are within the limits of what the car can handle.

I'm not condoning caning it at 70, 50 or even 20mph if the road conditions and surroudnings don't permit it. I'm simply saying that it's pushing a car beyond what it can cope with more than the outright figures.

For example, there's a corner at the bottom of the M606 joining to the M62 which is a posted speed of 40mph. It's 'fun' in my LCR, so how it's expected other, not so grippy cars to manage I don't know.

But then I've being driving 10 years, got caught speeding once and since then, and the contribution of the LCR being a police magnet, I do potter about town within legal limts. Albeit getting up oto the speed limit quickly, if surroundings permit.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise