Pipercross Viper or Jabba Sport Induction kit?

chris2401

Oct 30, 2009
Hi Guys.

I am saving up for my black LCR 225. :D

Along with a number of mods I am wanting to do to it when I purchase the car, one of them is a decent performance induction kit to it.

I preferbly wanted a ITG Maxogen Induction kit for my LCR but for some reason I don't think they make a Maxogen kit for the Mk 1LCR which is a shame. My race mechanic has got a 2009 Green Focus RS 375bp (at present) and he has got a Maxogen ITG induction kit on. :)

Anyway because of this I have been looking into various other induction kits, such as Pipercross Viper Induction kit. (Link below)
http://www.pipercross.net/fastroad/p...m2=128&app=361 ,but as good as they sound, I think I would have to have part of my front grill cut out to fit the a air pipe trumpet fitting. I don't want to do this or take one of the fog light bulbs out for the air intake. Any other ways of going around this?

The other Induction kit I have seen is a Jabba Sport 1.8T Induction kit http://www.jabbasport.com/store/inde...ef=JSIKLEONFBW which looks nice but the Viper one sounds better because the filter is all enclosed so no engine heat can dispurse into the filter.

Could you tell me if from experiences whether it be from your own LCR 1.8T or a mates LCR which induction kit is better? Pipercross Viper or Jabba Sport Induction Kit?

I'll look forward to your feedback and if there are any other very good induction kits out there on the market that you would recomend me looking into that would be cool to.

Cheers.

Chris [B)]

chris2401

Oct 30, 2009
most people on here use jetex filters mate, including myself

Hi Mate.

Many thanks for the reply. :) I've been on the Jetex website, and had a look at a few of their filters. I hadn't heard of jetex filters before u mentioned them.

I am not sure whether to go for a universal cone filter and a Jabba Sport Heat shield OR a universal cone filter inside the carbon fibre cylinder housing as it keeps out more heat then and it looks nicer. :D I have had a look at the carbon fibre cyclinder filters and I see they have got their air intake pipe connected to them obviously, but I don't want to drill a hole in the front grill for this though, where do most people feed their air intake pipe from to the filter housing?

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
if you search mate youll probably find benefits of a 60quid heatshield is negligeable... much better cooling the air after the turbo, i have pipercross open cone and never ever hot rendering a heatshield pretty pointless. looks pretty though.

if you thing of the charge temps from the turbo to the intercooler then if you manage to cool the air a few degrees from a heatshield then itl only get heated by the turbo anyways. n/a cars then yes, turbo then id say no tbh. the temperature sensor for ait is in the inlet manny itself so cooling after turbo over this sensor is the way to go

spend the 60 quid on a phenolic spacer instead, or save for a fmic, much more worthwhile imho.

stick to large open cone jetex and use silicone spacer to put it nearer the wing... best your gonna do in that respect

chris2401

Oct 30, 2009
if you search mate youll probably find benefits of a 60quid heatshield is negligeable... much better cooling the air after the turbo, i have pipercross open cone and never ever hot rendering a heatshield pretty pointless. looks pretty though.

if you thing of the charge temps from the turbo to the intercooler then if you manage to cool the air a few degrees from a heatshield then itl only get heated by the turbo anyways. n/a cars then yes, turbo then id say no tbh. the temperature sensor for ait is in the inlet manny itself so cooling after turbo over this sensor is the way to go

spend the 60 quid on a phenolic spacer instead, or save for a fmic, much more worthwhile imho.

stick to large open cone jetex and use silicone spacer to put it nearer the wing... best your gonna do in that respect

Hi Mate.

Many thanks for the advice it was good to read. So basically your saying the way to go would be to get a Jetex open cone filter amd a silicone spacer? This may sound a stupid thing but could you send me a pic or a link so I can see what a silicone spacer looks like that you mentioned in the above please mate? I take it fmic means Forge Mounted Intercooler? I am going to save up for one of them anyway mate. Don't know how much your talking for a decent Forge Intercooler for a LCR 225 though? :confused:

Sorry if I have confused u. lol

Chris

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
ok cheers mate.

Here is the Jabba Sport induction kit link again. Hopefully this one works mate.

http://www.jabbasport.com/store/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=JSIKLEONFBW

Same as fitted to mine. Its a good bit of kit. On mine you can physically hear the bonnet being sucked down so it works from the point of view of keeping a good external clean air flow to the engine.

But as james says if your doing this to keep the temps down its things after the turbo that make the cooling difference like the FMIC.

The only real positive from a well fitting heat shield on our cars is cleaner air so your filter will maybe last longer:shrug:
Looks good though!:redface:

l.e.star

Feb 8, 2009
leicester
instead of the two you mentioned id say get a jetex open cone filter they have got nothing but praise from the guys on here thats what made me go for one. ive just fitted it this morning and the car is a lot more responsive plus sounds deeper and plus you can here the dump valve dumping a lot louder in and outside (if you prefer to hear it that is)

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
if you thing of the charge temps from the turbo to the intercooler then if you manage to cool the air a few degrees from a heatshield then itl only get heated by the turbo anyways.

I agree with that in part and know where your coming from but the cooler the air is to start with the more dense it is, so more to burn. Cooling it after its taken in wont increase the air if its drawing less in to start with because its warm air.

james walker

cooling is the key people
May 24, 2007
retford notts
agreed, but heatshield... negligeable cooling capabilities.

larger surface area open cone is the way forward, spaced into the wing. get as many g/s through the maf as possible.

chris2401

Oct 30, 2009
fmic = front mounted intercooler.. forge is a brand of intercooler... 600quid for theirs

or search for custom fmic.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/80mm-3-1-8-ID...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item20ad72c0b2

link to silicone joiner. helps to straiten the airflow out to the maf aswell.

Yes I know what you mean now mate. lol. sorry. I was going to get a blue forge silicone hose or samco but I know they are quite expensive. It saids on the ebay add that Temperature Range: -60 C upto +200 C. Does this mean anything? After all it's only a pipe that straightens the air going into the MAF sensor like you said. Which would say's best, forge, samco, or ebay silicone hose? Or are they a much of a muchness to be honest mate?

A front mounted intercooler is deffinately on my list but way down the order, but deffo will get one. :D

chris2401

Oct 30, 2009
instead of the two you mentioned id say get a jetex open cone filter they have got nothing but praise from the guys on here thats what made me go for one. ive just fitted it this morning and the car is a lot more responsive plus sounds deeper and plus you can here the dump valve dumping a lot louder in and outside (if you prefer to hear it that is)

Hi Mate.

Cheers for your advice on the experience of your new Jetex open cone filter. Like I have said I had never heard of them before you guys mentioned them so I didn't think they were that good. But if you guys praise them and from what I have read from yourself it's made me feel more confident in buying one. I would probably purchase a open cone jetex filter, but with it being open cone and no heatsheild dirty air may get around it and I don't want that so would you say a heatsheild is needed or get the carbon fibre cyclinder housing with it too mate? Or do what you have done and just got open universal cone filter along with silicone hosing. I would of got a Milltek Cat-Back Resonated exhaust before this too mate, just to let you know. :D

Apologies if I have confused you or not made any sence. lol

chris2401

Oct 30, 2009

Basically what I am looking for seen as a FMIC is a only way to cool the air, I would be looking for basically more air intake to get slightly more MPG and quicker throttle responce. That is what I would be expecting from a open cone Jetex like what you got. Would you say this is what you have experienced with your new filter matey? :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.