Possible ESP problem?????????

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
Hey all, took the car out for a spin today and after a few hundred metres the EPS light started flicking on. The car was only going about 30mph, the light flickered on for a few seconds, and it felt like the brakes were seizing on (only when the light was flashing though). It happened on the N/S/F wheel first and then the O/S/F the next time it happened. I then turned the ESP off and the car felt really dodgy, steering felt really light and quite twitchy, something wasn't quite right. Also the steering wheel had moved dramatically when driving in a straight line, the last time i drove the car everything was fine and working normally and the steering wheel was definetley in the normal position.

I took the front wheels off and had a look at the track rod ends and drop links, but everything seemed fine, nothing was bent or had any play. There is also no codes present on the ECU. I haven't got a clue what it could be or what to check next, hopefully one of you guys can help me????

Cheers in advance!!!

Last edited:

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
Tell me about it! It's baffled me, rather annoying as well as i can't use the car. I thought i'd see if anyone would know what it is on here before taking it a garage!!!

robbob

Leon Cupra
Jul 24, 2008
Portsmouth
Mine did this after changing a tie rod. The tracking was really out so the esp was constantly kicking in. Got it sorted when the tracking was done. The steering wheel was at 3 o'clock when driving in a straight line. Strange though I you haven't changed anything. Did you hit the kerb when you parked up? Might of put the alignment out.

Deleted member 43482

If the tracking is along way out with will kick the esp light on. Although if you haven't had an impact with anything something may have come adrift or something in the rack may have failed, worth getting checked out asap.

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
Cheers for the replys guys! i'll get the tracking done on Monday. I know i haven't hit the urb for definate, but i'm unsure whether the other half moved the car and curbed it and is just saying she hadn't (cuz i don't allow her to drive the LCR. lol) I can't see no big scratches on the wheels which implies it would have been curbed.

Jamesrowe

Feb 6, 2009
Dorset
I found out what was causing the problem today. Some kind person, driving a vehicle with giant wheels like a lorry or tractor, drove into the O/S/R wheel. they clipped the wheel arch and wheel, forcing the car into the curb which caused the rear axle to crease!!!! Thanks very much!!! That would explain why the steering wheel position has moved, to counteract the buckled rear axle, and new rear wheels postion. So i'm currently looking for a rear axle if any body knows of one. I found this on ebay, does any body know if it's the correct one?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vw-golf-mk4-a...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e1226f17

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
to be safe as he's breaking the car itself if you can get a reg no or chassis no i can check parts number wise if it helps ??

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
in fact had a quick glance

2 beams listed for all Leons but a difference on stabiliser bar either 18mm or 21.7mm

same spec and part numbers for the golf if look at year 2000 for example but if ya not sure then the spec sticker will list whats fitted IF you can find it

0BB = 21.7mm

0BC = 18mm

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sadly they turned up as 2 stickers in the glove box so it can vary but inside the service book cover for one and the other on the boot floor under the carpet were favourite places

here's what they look like, almost to scale too

PR-Codes.png

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.