Idling problems

eggy524

Hi,

I have a 2004 1.4 Ibiza and I've noticed that over the past couple of months when the car is idling it doesn't idle at a steady speed anymore. It tends to dip maybe once every couple of seconds and then recover. Would anyone have any idea what is going wrong and have any ideas for fixing it?

Also, another problem I'm having with the car is that when started from cold there are times when I depress the accelerator and nothing happens for a couple of seconds and then it kicks in - this can be quite dangerous when needing to get into traffic quickly!

I'm not sure if these problems are related but I thought this would be the best place to ask.

Thanks

rich3001

Mar 9, 2009
Try changing the spark plugs. I had a similar issue with mine a while back.

shauns

is your exhaust blowing or have a hole in it, my old car did the same thing and it was because i had a massive hole near the manifold

MadFaz

New(ish)bee
Sep 28, 2008
Bradford
my previous Polo 1.0 was like this, as in the engine was "missing" and then recovering... delayed acceleration etc, it was a piston ring, the seal had broken or something and oil was getting into the spark plugs which caused the missing... i had to change the spark plugs every few months :(

Zorikos69

I think the EGR valve is responsible for the unsteady idling...I had the same problem once and cleaning and reclibrating the valve through vag-com was the solution to my problem...

kimimaru

Feb 15, 2010
West midlands
Hi
i had it on my car 34000 on the clock , but them it stop and didnt see it any more , but the other problem that i saw now is when idle with foot of cluth and on neutral there is a ratling noise close to the passanger side alloys , if u press the clutch full it will go silence ,relece the cluth it will make it .
any help ?

danny_

mine is doing the same on idle, missfire here and there, im going to have it serviced ill let you know how it is after that

eggy524

Thanks for your replies everyone. Looks like the actual problem could be quite hard to diagnose.

I've bought spark plugs anyway and will see if that fixes the probem ( if only temporarily like MadFaz says) - if oil is getting in there, it could be a bigger problem to fix.

I tried to fit the new plugs in yesterday but I couldnt loosen them - the spark plug remover tool I was using actually broke while trying to remove them. Any ideas on how to loosen them? Would the engine being warm help? Would using wd-40 be a bad idea?

Also, is there any point in getting a VAG-Com unit and connecting it to the car? How much information can you get off those?

Thanks

rich3001

Mar 9, 2009
Hi
i had it on my car 34000 on the clock , but them it stop and didnt see it any more , but the other problem that i saw now is when idle with foot of cluth and on neutral there is a ratling noise close to the passanger side alloys , if u press the clutch full it will go silence ,relece the cluth it will make it .
any help ?

that rattling noise is the thrust bearing, ive got that atm after having a new clutch so the garage is having the car back in to fix it. I would get it checked to make sure.

Thanks for your replies everyone. Looks like the actual problem could be quite hard to diagnose.

I've bought spark plugs anyway and will see if that fixes the probem ( if only temporarily like MadFaz says) - if oil is getting in there, it could be a bigger problem to fix.

I tried to fit the new plugs in yesterday but I couldnt loosen them - the spark plug remover tool I was using actually broke while trying to remove them. Any ideas on how to loosen them? Would the engine being warm help? Would using wd-40 be a bad idea?

Also, is there any point in getting a VAG-Com unit and connecting it to the car? How much information can you get off those?

Thanks

when was your car last serviced? When i had this problem no errors appeared using a vag com

eggy524

I've changed the spark plugs today! But it hasn't fixed my problem!

Any suggestions on how to replace the EGR valve? I'm sorry but this is my first time doing this!

Monks Seat

Mar 23, 2009
Birmingham
I had a problem like this, I tried the spark plug and that didn't work so I tried changing mi fuel filter and it seems to have worked, when I checked th filter hadn't been changed since new an that means it was 4 years old and covered nealy 40k. Id give this a go mate.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.