rattle from underneath

jdl1981

Hi,

My cupra has developed a lovely rattle from underneath, it happens at very low revs, and seems to dissapear after about 2k or so. It's very loud and annoying. It appears to be coming from what looks like a heat shield in the midle of the car roughly in line with the drivers seat.

Is this another common problem with these cars?

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
get underneath and see if one of the exhaust brackets has sheered off. Its a very common fault on the oem exhausts. If you have an after market exhaust, Ignore everything I've just written. lol.

jdl1981

Thanks for the reply mate, it's a standard exhaust so i will have a closer look at it. There seems to be quite a few faults with these cars, a bit like my TVR!

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
There is a heatshield on the centre section, and yes it is roughly in line with the drivers seat. It's fixed by spacers, one at each corner, but they're very vulnerable fixings and can break. The two rear ones rusted away on mine, leaving the shield to bounce up and down and resonate at certain low frequencies.

I fixed it with some steel cable ties, it stopped that rattle no problem. Unfortunately it's revealed another that was a bit quieter, and I've not tracked that one down yet!

jdl1981

without wishing to sound stupid, can you take it off and just not park it on grass etc?:confused:

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Small but significant risk of car going up in flames from parking on top of something flammable, or gatting it blown under there by the wind.

jdl1981

Small but significant risk of car going up in flames from parking on top of something flammable, or gatting it blown under there by the wind.

I thought it wouldn't be advisable, i will have a go at fixing it to stop the annoying rattle......[:@]!

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
the shield fixings are pennies to buy fro the dealers around 12p each , i just bought what they had left
X9 of them , as they are a shite metal and rust and break , , i would personally keep the shield , it keep sthe heat off the car , nowt to do with parking on grass , as if you think back its car - shield then exhaust , grass can still touch exhaust with or without the shield

I have this rattle still , also have the clips , but i hope tonight to fitt them , they are pi$$ easy to fit too , just push over the thread

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I took one look at the fixings and decided to use straps. I couldn't even tell what the fixings were meant to look like they were so rusted!

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
You have a TDI, the catalyst doesn't get hot enough to warrant a heat shield. The original poster has an LC, which has an attached heat shield underneath the catalyst. LCR's have a two-part heat shield which completely encloses the dual catalysts.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members