how low can toledos go???

Yorkshire Bob

Feb 7, 2010
apparently if you drop the front lower than 50mm on the V5 and 40mm on the TDI you're putting your sump in real danger, i've narrowed my search to a 35-40mm drop max taking into account handling, comfort and stance, the Toledo is naturally lower at the front as it has a 500 ltr boot, you fill that then it's going to be nearer it's natural stance, but to be fair i don't think one owner could say we need a boot that big as we're not Joe Pesci or Robert Di Nero, it's down to personal preference at the end of the day, but throughout my research the general consensus is that a 35-40mm is probably the most practical, good looking and provides the best handling, agreed T11ewl's vehicle looks awsome, but it really isn't healthy for the rest of your suspension to run that low, you really need to keep your bottom arms running at 90 degrees or over, everyone has their own opinion, however in my view, if you want to drop a car to 90mm why not buy a saxo, fiesta or a 106? The Toledo has Audi/VW pedigree and is a saloon car not a hot hatch. Let us see some pics when you're done!

joe dirt

the wheels tuck inside the arches if you run the rite set of wheels doh . an the sub franme always cought the ground the sump was 15mil off the ground

Yorkshire Bob

Feb 7, 2010
doh...what are you? like 12 or something? I'm pretty sure SLIMY knows what he's on about..if you went that low you must have been running on TONKA wheels, number 2, if you took your drop-links off and removed you ARB then you'd have trouble stopping as the vehicle would loose the majority of it's lateral suspension, number 3, i don't know of any mechanic who would do that kind of work who has any ethics, 4, I'm pretty sure that's an MOT failure, 5, i will find out, 6, good luck to you, just keep the childishness to Facebook.

joe dirt

no arch liners in thier they rubbed way 18s on. past mot a month ago like that an our mot is a lot stricter than a english one . loads of cars came with out arbs how did they manage to stop . i dont need a mechanic like half you clowns i just happen to be one

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
no arch liners in thier they rubbed way 18s on. past mot a month ago like that an our mot is a lot stricter than a english one . loads of cars came with out arbs how did they manage to stop . i dont need a mechanic like half you clowns i just happen to be one

Yes, I did expect you to have removed the liners, it is a fairly common practise. Still can't get that much drop though! :)

I'm really not trying to argue with you, I work with computers and only know enough mechanics to get me through the easiest jobs (suspension replacements, head unit swaps, that sort of thing), so you're ahead of me with that one. Unfortunately I do know how to use a tape measure.

Just out of interest, where are you? You mentioned your MOT is stricter than ours (not surprised in the slightest!), shall I have a stab at Germany perhaps?

Yorkshire Bob

Feb 7, 2010

RE: the ARB.

Quote from the MOT testers manual (http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_240.htm): 2. Check that an anti-roll bar is fitted to an axle on which it is standard.

so, that means if an ARB is fitted as standard it has to be present for the MOT therefore making it legal.

hope this helps.

:lol:

joe dirt

good guess sir N ireland . most people remove them over here the majority of golf toledos passats an that are lowered over 100mm its sort of the done thing . if you get 120mm coilovers an take out the helper spring you get a extra 60 mm an just take the ajusters out of the back an heat the springs abit

Yorkshire Bob

Feb 7, 2010
that maybe true, however, if the vehicle has a ARB as factory standard, which most do, it HAS to be present for an MOT throughout the UK end of really. My query would be, that if you're a mechanic, why would you knowingly do this to you vehicle, especially heating your springs, that's just wrong. That's none of my business really, but good luck to you in your future endeavours and drop us all some pics of your machine, Cheers.

Last edited:

joe dirt

i get a few pics up at the week end . well y spent £200 tay £300 on a different anti roll bar an ajustable drop links wen you can take them out . the car il be low so its not as if your goin to roll it

cookie1978

Jun 17, 2009
huddersfield
As a mechanic thats trained and has qualifications id say your mad to remove the anti roll bar, if in an accident in this country then if you dont declare with the insurance company about removal then your insurance is void crash or no crash!

The anti roll bar is there for a reason, to stiffen the structure of the suspension to reduce the roll and reduce suspension articulation. As the name suggests really. Dont think i would take my car to a greasy monkey cowboy like yourself.

Surely heating the springs would make the spring rates different on all 4 corners making your car unroadworthy in my opinion. Its unsafe and unfair to other road users for you to be using a car on a public highway.

Why doesnt VOSA ever catch these sort of people???

Its up to you what you do with your car but hope you except the consiquenses if it kills a pedestrian or other road user.

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
Yes it is (and quite nice looking I might add!), but we're still waiting for pics of the 150mm drop... :)

Judging by the rear I reckon that's about a 60mm drop? Although I don't know what a standard mark 1 looks like.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.