Diagnostics and Live data for android phones

andypotts1981

Sep 25, 2009
Not sure if anyone has seen it.... it's called Torque.

Stumbled across it in the market a couple of days ago, downloaded the free version and used a mates bluetooth obd kit. Seems to work pretty well.

Maybe a cheaper alternative to Liquid TT????

Anyway, heres a link to the guys website

http://ian-hawkins.com/?p=6

andypotts1981

Sep 25, 2009
nah, any obd2 compliant cars....

am waiting for a cheap bluetooth reader to come from ebay to make sure it works with that.

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
in the mountains ( Wales )
cheers

also another on the android market called aDyno by uklooney

will download and see (be rude not to its Free !!

am also thinking could me ebay vagcom lead connect , as my phone has the usb connection ?

Last edited:

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
RaceChrono might do the trick for Symbian (S60 only, not S40), and there's a couple of apps already for iPhone, Revs and Dynolicious (I think).

Racechrono is more a trackday tool. Eventually you can check acceleration.

I was thinking about something that can use OBD II port to clear codes etc.

Well... I guess im moving to Iphone soon anyway... or HTC desire (which actually has android system) so i will have those apps :)

andypotts1981

Sep 25, 2009
cheers

also another on the android market called aDyno by uklooney

will download and see (be rude not to its Free !!

am also thinking could me ebay vagcom lead connect , as my phone has the usb connection ?

aDyno isn't really that accurate... wonder if theres a way of calculating BHP and Torque figures using this Torque program by tapping into the live ecu data - would be a nice addition

piemmm

No I'm afraid it can't do torque & BHP benchmarking just yet, but I'll be putting it into the app in the next couple of versions, especially as quite a few people want it!

You'll probably want a bluetooth adapter - USB won't work as far as Torque is concerned as it is not yet supported properly in Android.

Hi by the way :)

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
No I'm afraid it can't do torque & BHP benchmarking just yet, but I'll be putting it into the app in the next couple of versions, especially as quite a few people want it!

You'll probably want a bluetooth adapter - USB won't work as far as Torque is concerned as it is not yet supported properly in Android.

Hi by the way :)

hi ;)

are you the developer for this app then ?

wheres the best place to get these bluetooth adapters then

cheers

piemmm

I am, yes :)

You can get the bluetooth adapters from ebay (for the cheaest ones) or you can get them from OBDKey(obdkey are more reliable) - the cheaper ones occasionally have communications issues incorrectly receiving data, but do still work. I can't post URLs yet but if you follow the deveoper links from the android market or do a google search for obdkey you should get to the websites with the info.

I wouldn't recommend the PLX wifi adapter, as you have to root the phone to get access to the wifi .ini files to enable ad-hoc mode. It's basically a chore and the Bluetooth option is a lot easier as it is almost plug and play.

If you guys have a list of extended PIDs for your ECUs then I can add them as well to the custom PID editor as a job lot to make getting access to them easier for you - all I need is the mode, pid, units, description and formula to do this. You might want this to add things like Knock Retard which aren't part of the OBD2 spec, but getting hold of this info is usually difficult :)

Hi!

I downloaded the Torque App a few weeks ago! Looks good! Unfortunately the Bluetooth OBDKey is ~£103

Compare that with the Genuine RossTech VCDS cable and software at ~£155 which is know and proven to work (absolutely no reflection on yourself I admit it looks brilliant!)

If I can get a cheap ebay BT OBD I'll probably use it though! What else do you always carry in your pocket? Stick it in a cradle and you can have a boost gauge etc!

Andrewcupra TDI

Resident Desk Jockey
Apr 30, 2008
Hi!

I downloaded the Torque App a few weeks ago! Looks good! Unfortunately the Bluetooth OBDKey is ~£103

Compare that with the Genuine RossTech VCDS cable and software at ~£155 which is know and proven to work (absolutely no reflection on yourself I admit it looks brilliant!)

If I can get a cheap ebay BT OBD I'll probably use it though! What else do you always carry in your pocket? Stick it in a cradle and you can have a boost gauge etc!

my thoughts too

thats why i was asking if it would work via usb , as i have an obd usb lead , my phone has a usb port so if that was able , then its a winner , as i can use the lead for vagcom/vcds and this

AzRiz

Guys I ordered a cheap bluetooth OBD sender from kauto.co.uk/automotiveclassics/products/elm327blue.htm and it works well with Torque. Unfortunately I can't get the boost data to come through though, is there any solution to this Ian?

Btw no I'm not the seller of that bluetooth product, I'm off the uk-mkivs forum with a Golf so need this data too :)

Az

adamstreeter

Feb 10, 2010
bump....

looking into this kind of solution and wondering what success people have had.....does this software give a mpg readout in the leon cupra? and can in work as a trip computer?

thanks for any info....

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.