Mysterious Knocking noise

Benny

Jun 17, 2007
Bradford
mine only seems to be on bumps in the road etc. if i hit a bump at the same time with both of the front wheels, no knocking noise, but for example left hits first then right i get a knocking noise..

gb

here and there
Feb 27, 2007
portglasgow
i've also got A KNOCKING SOUND coming from the front passenger side but only when taking a right hand corner i was told it might be the steering rack:shrug:

JoeT_999

iv just had knocking on my front driver side wheel appear witch happens when hittig bumps and turning left hard. started last night after taking directions form a woman at the last second, slaming the brake turning hard and a bang i felt in the steering wheel. made the corner at least. found the proble myself (not yet fixed) my arb connection (plastic) had snaped at the swing arm end. really easy to get to with the wheel off and held on with 2 16mm bolts and it only costs £12 to replace even from seat dealer, i was shocked. fingers crossed that will fix it. ill let you know if i remember.

JoeT_999

new arb link fitted on sunday so far all is well knocking has gone.

Benny

Jun 17, 2007
Bradford
just a little update.. had the can up again today and the bushes on the lower arms are like jelly!! so two new lower arms have been ordered and new drop links too.. Getting fitted next weekend and will let you all know the outcome! :)

Benny

Jun 17, 2007
Bradford
update:

lower arms made the knocking noise quieter but then it got worse again! angry, and fustrated, I went and bought:

2x new shocks
2x top mounts
2x ARB bushes

and guess what.. after replacing all that, car is now no longer knocking what so ever over bumps!! :D

great success! (wallet is kinda empty now though:()

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
Since getting my wheels refitted two days ago i'm having these exact problems. Never had it before in my life! What could they have knocked damage to cause it? And if i get someone else to look at it whats my chances of recovering any costs?

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
I'll tell you what it was on mine. Are you ready? This could well be the same with the work you mentioned.

Ready?

The problem was....

...only 1 wheel nut was remotely tightened. 3 garages didn't find the problem.

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
I'll tell you what it was on mine. Are you ready? This could well be the same with the work you mentioned.

Ready?

The problem was....

...only 1 wheel nut was remotely tightened. 3 garages didn't find the problem.

****. I may get checking tomorrow! Cheers mate, I don't want my wheel coming off and its been getting worse too! :help:

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
Right! Mate you are a saviour, and I mean you actually may have saved my life!

Went out and checked the bolts, and on both wheels, 3 out of 5 bolts weren't even f**king hand tight! By that I mean I could actually stick my fingers in and wobble the bolts around!! And the two remaining required at least a full 360 turn of the wrench to be anywhere near tight, then a good bit of dancing up and down on it to get it sensible. Shocked isn't even the word mate, my heart was in my mouth. Took it for a spin there and problem completely solved! ****ing cowboys!
[:@]

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Glad it's sorted, I understand how you feel, I'd been on a couple of spirited country road drives with my problem.

What's really shocking is how the garage's miss them!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Glad it's sorted, I understand how you feel, I'd been on a couple of spirited country road drives with my problem.

What's really shocking is how the garage's miss them!
It's not really there responcibility, its yours.
Perhaps make this one of your weekly checks
saves a "you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel" moment, lol

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
It's not really there responcibility, its yours.
Perhaps make this one of your weekly checks
saves a "you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel" moment, lol

hmmm.

Had a service. Came back making a knocking noise. I'm not a mechanic so took it back to the one who did the service. They found nothing. I took it to another two garages and they found nothing. I'm still not a mechanic so not sure how I'd have realised something they didn't.

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
"you picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel"

Lol. very good.

I had a similar scary moment after fitting my spacers. I thought i'd tightened the nuts up but after a couple of miles they were all loose. I could actually feel the rear end of the car squirming around.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.