Traction Control off?

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
The only time my 225 has the ESP on is when it's wet. Parada tyres are not good in the wet :p

I've found that turning the ESP off doesn't turn it off fully. if you make the car slide with it off, it will still kick in unless you've got your foot on the throttle (if that makes sense).

There are no ill effects from turning it off.

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
TCS is a valuable addition to most "family saloon" type cars, providing an extra element of intervention to prevent the lead-footed from loosing control in slippery situations. ESP adds in directional control, comparing the steering input to the direction the car is actually going in and correcting using the ABS system.

My TDI 110 has TCS and it very rarely activates, usually only over potholed roads (more of those about recently), gravel and in the wet. I've never felt it to be intrusive, and I think it would be difficult to put a TDI 110 into a situation where the TCS was unwelcome.

With sports cars like the LC and LCR the system seems (from the reports I've seen in the forum) to be too heavy-handed, cutting power abruptly. I've no direct experience so can't be dogmatic, but in general, traction control for sporty cars needs to be sensitive in its control of the application of power to the wheels.

The biggest downside of the use of TCS is that you never get the chance to develop your own skills at throttle control (right foot, by the way, psycho6285) combined with opposite lock. I've taken every car I've owned to a suitable skid pan (piece of waste ground, gravel car park (empty), snow-covered car parks in the winter) to get a feel for what happens when you slip over the edge of adhesion.

You need a lot of space to do this, because you will spin out time and time again, but it is the only way to learn. It is NOT safe to learn this on the public highway, because there are innocent victims travelling the other way who you are most likely to hit when you lose control. And you will lose control, because that's the only way of finding out where the edge is.

Turning off TCS/ESP does not turn off ABS, which is as it should be. ABS is better at controlling brake application than almost all drivers, and entirely appropriate for road use (maybe not for the racetrack, or at least not in its roadgoing form). The most important thing to remember is that ABS is about stopping as quickly as possible *without loosing steering control*. You can stomp on the middle pedal and still steer to avoid the accident developing in front of you. We tend to forget that.

Last edited:

Chieflongshin

I'm looking forward to turning TCS off when i collect car this week. :)

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
With sports cars like the LC and LCR the system seems (from the reports I've seen in the forum) to be too heavy-handed, cutting power abruptly. I've no direct experience so can't be dogmatic, but in general, traction control for sporty cars needs to be sensitive in its control of the application of power to the wheels.

Perhaps some of this is down to our tinkering. Seems to work ok at 180bhp but feels abrupt after a remap. I guess the system wasnt designed for faster mapping.
I imagine that same system would be savage on a BT car, interestingly the esp software on mine is off a a3 quattro which bleeds power out rather than cutting it.

So maybe the tuners out there could start modifying the esp set up to handle the faster maps?

Dalicin

For driving to and from work (2 miles away) I leave traction control on :( but when i go driving round the back roads of Canterbury, Ashford, Dover then Traction Control is off :) The difference is unbelieveable but i love it!!

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
Perhaps some of this is down to our tinkering. Seems to work ok at 180bhp but feels abrupt after a remap. I guess the system wasnt designed for faster mapping.
I imagine that same system would be savage on a BT car, interestingly the esp software on mine is off a a3 quattro which bleeds power out rather than cutting it.

So maybe the tuners out there could start modifying the esp set up to handle the faster maps?

I dont think any of the tuners wants to mess with safety systems. This could get nasty on some occasions(claims, courts etc.)

Bertee

I cannot believe that people do not notice TC/ASR kicking in.

It is a dangerous feature more liable to spit you into a wall/fence etc when it kills the power halfway into a corner.

ASR off for every trip :D

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Bertee wrote

I cannot believe that people do not notice TC/ASR kicking in.

TC is presumably Traction Control. What is ASR?

TCS is noticable as the effect is similar to ABS, a stuttering modulation of power.

It is a dangerous feature more liable to spit you into a wall/fence etc when it kills the power halfway into a corner.

As an original fitment it can't be dangerous or Seat and VAG would be in a great deal of trouble from leadfooted owners crashing their cars after the TCS/ESP had intervened.

It is always possible to get yourself into a dangerous situation if you push the limits. TCS and ESP enforce the limits, intevening just before you are about to lose traction/control.

Upthread it was suggested that remapped cars or cars with modified suspension may produce unexpected results with TCS and ESP as they are then trying to deal with more power and/or less compliant suspension (giving poorer roadholding on uneven surfaces) than the they were designed for. It is most likely that any danger you get yourself into is a result of your own decisions and actions in the car.

ASR off for every trip
What?

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
ASR = Active Stability ??? I am guessing.. Similar to ESP Electronic Stability Program

Murdered LCR

Wide mouthed mofo
Sep 9, 2006
Murder Inc.
I wish the car never came with it it's a hazzard those who can't drive with it off shouldn't have a quick car , soon as mine was mapped it makes the horrible to drive

Bertee

Trust me when I say that when you are going for it into a corner and the over-sensitive TC/ASR (Anti Slip Regulation) kicks in and drops the power the front just wants to understeer in a big way.

Your right, as a safety feature, and for normal everyday driving it probably is ok.

TC/ASR has never helped me not to crash, quite the opposite.

If you cannot get the power down or use the car without TC then they have put it in for you, for everyone else they fitted a button :whistle:

hara

Sep 26, 2009
continent
ON: most of the time, daily commutes, snowy or rainy conditions
OFF: 'spirited driving' ie: quick starts, hard cornering, playing around on snowy or wet surfaces

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
turn it off much more fun.

one of the most annoying features of german cars (aside from the weight).

agree about switching it off but the biggest users and developers of electronic driving aids are actually japs. do you reckon an EVO or GTR would be half as quick without all the electronic aids :whistle:

Bertee

Apart from being 4WD they are probably more intelligently used.

VAG TC/ASR just kills the power to both driven wheels instead of trying to control the wheel that is slipping

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
I agree. but electronics are more widely used by the japs on their performance cars than any german made motor.

The ESP and TC on our cars is very crude now compared to more modern cars

Bertee

My ASR does exactly the same as the TC used to do on my 98 vectra :blink:

There is no intelligence there at all.

When I took a 2006 MKII vrs out for a test drive the first thing I did was switch the TC/ESP/Whatever off.

There is nothing wrong a front wheel drive car slipping a little into corners :D

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.