Long trip on the LCR coming up

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Ok so in July I'm going to Disneyland Paris in the LCR.

This will involve driving from Leeds to Dover, then Calais to Paris/Disneyland.

I've never driven abroad before so have a few questions.

I need a high visability jacket, a GB sticker or Euro plates, light beam adjusters, two new front tyres.

Should I get breakdown cover? I've never had any before but London's the furthest I've been. Thing is I'll need Euro cover aswell which will be extra, so not sure if I should or who I should go with, having to add all the extra bits n bats on with the AA and people it gets very expensive.

What else should I be thinking about?

I was going to load up on petrol before coming home but it's not allowed on the ferry, tut!

How much wine/beer/cigs can you bring back?

All advice appreciated and I won't be surprised if the thread is moved to a different section, didnt' kow where to start it!

Aug 1, 2009
Hemel Hempstead
I'd prob actually get the spare wheel out and get the pressure in that sorted out as well, incase you get a puncture, then you know you can whack it on straight away. Apart from that, you seem to have most things covered... I did think that there was some requirement to have spare bulbs if you get asked for them, but not according to this AA page.

Hope the roads are good on the way there - otw the suspension will bring moaning from the wife :)

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
If you've got a spare coilpack, stick it in the spare wheel with the tool kit. they always let you down at the worst times ;)

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
Spare wheel needs a new tyre as the one in it's ripped...will put one of the replaced on there.

Was thinking about a coilpack, where's cheapest for them? Might need two from what I read!

Gezz

Nov 12, 2006
Manchester
Make sure you tell your insurance company, won't cost very much. If you don't they are only liable for the minimum legal cover in the country you visit, which is 3rd party only.

So if your car gets nicked you get absolutely nothing!

I'd increase your cover with AA, I drove to Spain last year and for 2 weeks I think it was only an extra £30. If you break down or crash on the motorway you will have to pay whatever the police/breakdown guy they send out charges you, probably be well over £100.

Enjoy the drive, French roads are so much better than UK!

Also the speed limit on french motorways drops to 100kmh if its raining/wet

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
I currently have no breakdown cover though. Was looking on Confused.com and there'sa company on there who do all the gubbins of homestart, EU, Hotels ocver etc for £60.

AA doesn't to EU according to that site, and costs loads for basic cover.

Emailed the insurance company yesterday, not heard back yet though.

ArosaRacer

Wee man returns in a fL mk2 cupra
Aug 28, 2005
Bayview, Kent
Hide your radar detector as well they are illegal in france and they will take it and fine you 750 euros for having it

Dyscontinued

Apr 15, 2007
Leeds
haha, I don't have one mate, and only 3 points in 10 years! Sadly, they were about 50 yards from where I live!

Dec 31, 2007
Reading

I need a high visability jacket, a GB sticker or Euro plates, light beam adjusters, two new front tyres.

Should I get breakdown cover? I've never had any before but London's the furthest I've been. Thing is I'll need Euro cover aswell which will be extra, so not sure if I should or who I should go with, having to add all the extra bits n bats on with the AA and people it gets very expensive.

I was going to load up on petrol before coming home but it's not allowed on the ferry, tut!

All advice appreciated and I won't be surprised if the thread is moved to a different section, didnt' kow where to start it!

Massive support for the breakdown cover here. One year when we went skiing we realised on the way out that we didn't have cover - my mum then ringing up was easily the best decision she made all year. Half way through the week the gearbox packed up on the car, and the breakdown cover covered the lot - we got a replacement car for whilst we were there, we then got flights home as the car couldn't be repaired over there, they then shipped the car back home for us, once we got off the flight we got another hire car, drove straight to the garage and there it was, gleaming and fixed good as new, and all it cost was the £60 odd quid for the breakdown cover. The costs otherwise would have been well over £5,000. Based on my experience it is a complete no brainer - whilst it is just down to luck whether anything happens to you, its not worth the risk imo.

P.S cover was on a VW Sharan, direct from VW.

Fred C

I just got back from le mans in my LCR and was asking these questions before i went, so I'll pass on my knowledge:

I got mixed reactions with the bulbs too, lots of places say you dont need them but the ferry was plastered with signs saying it was a legal requirement :confused:

I was planning on filling my car up over there too, eventhough Mr P&O isn't a fan, but the fuel wasn't that cheap. 1.50 euros on the main routes cheapest we found all week was 1.43 in a little village :(

You need to take over loads of paperwork too; driving license both parts, v5, MOT certificate, insurance certificate. Passport ;)

Something to note also you must be able to get out of your car with your hi-vis jacket on so don't stuff it in your boot well, mine was under my seat. Just something else they will try to fine you on!!!!

Dalicin

I would definatly get Breakdown Cover for use abroad,The AA do offer a European Breakdown Service. I say this because last year i was a passenger in a car that broke down in Holland and with no Brakdown Cover valid abroad and we we're screwed, play a shite load of money to tow / fix car which due to the age of the car wasn't worth it "I still believe that car is sitting in a Dutch McDonalds car park" lol, We had to get a train back to which wasn't fun, so Please buy the Breakdown cover, a Cupra R left abroad would be worse than antyhink i could think of!!

andycupra

status subject to change
you need a high viz jacket for every person in the car.
4 of you going, then you need at least 4 jackets.

Also they need to be inside the car and excessible. Eg in glove box, - not in the boot.

Definately get cover. Definately check things with your insurance company. Manby offer cover included but many specify you need to inform them.

Not sure there is a limit on beer or cigs, however this doesnt mean you can come back with what you like as it would appear that customs and excise can do what they like, they have been taking stuff off people for years despite courts declaring what they were doing as illegal.
If they suspect its not for your personal then they may be an issue.

Might be good to get some spare bulbs, - good sense anyway, as is a coil pack, and not forgetting the tools you wouild need to replace these. (note that the two left ones as you look at them are easy to get to, the other two are not and need a allen key and spanner or something like that. a couple of flat headed screw drivers are handy also)

oh and there isnt as much to save on fuel as you may think.

Last edited:

Ape

-----Hairy Hoonigan-----
I went to the Nurburgring in Germany this year and had a full service, new tyres all round and a few other bits and pieces to make me happy before going on the trek.

GB Sticker is fine mate, I didn't bother with light deflectors, but took a first aid kit, warning triangle etc, go into Halfords and there's a board in their touring section with what you need to have, I bet it's on their website too bud. Don't buy from there though, they wanted about £15 for a warning triangle, Tesco had EXACTLY the same on their shelves for £6

Check with your insurance, I had Euro cover as part of my policy, and just had to take my insurance papers with me to keep me insured over there, euro breakdown cover I got as part of my Bank Account

I took my counterpart license, V5, Insurance certificate, NHS Health Card (you can apply from the internet and takes a few days to come through and means you don't have to pay for healthcare if needed out there (most of the time))

I went each way on the ferry with a full tank of fuel, that was with Norfolkline, Dover to Dunkirk

Enough for personal consumption, I.e don't fill up enough to fill a shop or too much to convince them you won't be able to consume it in within a year

Just remember to go around the roundabouts the wrong way there and you'll be fine!

Last edited:

jgy6000

Feb 7, 2010
Oxford
I would definatly get Breakdown Cover for use abroad,The AA do offer a European Breakdown Service. I say this because last year i was a passenger in a car that broke down in Holland and with no Brakdown Cover valid abroad and we we're screwed, play a shite load of money to tow / fix car which due to the age of the car wasn't worth it "I still believe that car is sitting in a Dutch McDonalds car park" lol, We had to get a train back to which wasn't fun, so Please buy the Breakdown cover, a Cupra R left abroad would be worse than antyhink i could think of!!

Fully recommend breakdown cover, last year on the way back from the Nurburgring my mates BMW 530 decided to throw a water pump, he didnt have breakdown cover so we ended up dumping it on a residential road somewhere near Colone and every one crammed into my car for the return trip

....wonder if its still there

Sep 29, 2008
Midlands
Never driven on the wrong (RHS) side of the road in Europe.

However, my mate (who does a lot) tells me to wear my watch on the other wrist. This feels weird/unnatural and reminds you to take roundabouts anti clockwise and come out of junctions on the right side of the road.

Maybe bull/not work, but could be worth a try :shrug:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members