1.8 Gti

EKE Ibiza

Jul 10, 2009
Devon
www.art-graphy.co.uk
Hey,

I currently have a 2000 1.4 mk3 cool\s and quite frankley it's boring to drive.

I've seen a 1.8gti 1996 on 85k 11months mot and 6months tax for £950. From the photos on autotrader it looks in good condition. Maybe a little bit over priced, thinking £750.

What should I look out for when buying? It has a sunroof would this be a factory fitted option? Do the mk2's suffer from a heavy clutch like the mk3? The ad says it has 130hp, standard?

Thanks!

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Its the MK2 golf GTi engine so yes 130 horses sounds about right. Could get a sunroof from the factory, it will be tilt and slide if it was.

They do suffer from the heavy clutch and checking the car over thoroughly for any rust is a must!

crossedmike

check it on idle and start up if it self revs and ask for service history when belt was changed or is due etc as

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
Silver one ?

looks like a factory roof from the pics, plates blanked out so i couldnt check your engine code but check it's a 16v to be sure as ATrader is notorious for getting it wrong - looks private owned though and tidy

crossedmike

Thanks for the tips.

Yeah it's the silver one, it does look in good condition but we shall see next week.

How much is road tax?

103 6 months haha i think 170 for 12 of top me headc it aint cheap but worth weverypenny when u drive it :)

EKE Ibiza

Jul 10, 2009
Devon
www.art-graphy.co.uk
Wow that's alot of tax! Think mine is £144 for the 60hp monster ha!

Rang the guy up today to see if it had it's cambelt changed and he said previous owner had it done. In the two years he's owned it he's only driven 5k!

Going to have a look on Tuesday.Will keep you all posted

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Wow that's alot of tax! Think mine is £144 for the 60hp monster ha!

Rang the guy up today to see if it had it's cambelt changed and he said previous owner had it done. In the two years he's owned it he's only driven 5k!

Going to have a look on Tuesday.Will keep you all posted

Sound slike a good deal. My 1.4 Chill costs £188 a year for 12months as its 2002 :(

Booster

wroooom
Jun 16, 2010
Virovitica, Croatia
Its the MK2 golf GTi engine so yes 130 horses sounds about right. Could get a sunroof from the factory, it will be tilt and slide if it was.

They do suffer from the heavy clutch and checking the car over thoroughly for any rust is a must!

Mk2 GTi engine but fuel injection from Mk3 GTI. Mk2 GTI has K-Jetronic mechanical

Zero

Feb 11, 2005
Nope, not correct :)

ADL engine is a special Seat engine with higher pistons than PL/KR pistons because of that has ADL 10.5:1 compression.

ADL engine has also an ABF head(053) and not PL/KR head(027). Also the camshafts are from ABF.

Injection is not sequential like on ABF ->because od that ADL engine dont have crank sensor.

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
And has the worst gear ratio's(3,4,5) and final drive in VAG. change the gearbox for a golf one.

Booster

wroooom
Jun 16, 2010
Virovitica, Croatia
2 Zero: this is golden information for me, If I realize corectly then my car allready have ABF camshafts1? When I better think, It make a sence because my car has performance very much same as Golf Mk3ABF (when we ride together he cannot overtake me just like that).

2 WeeJase: which gerabox is best for this engine...my is half in a grave allready so I think to repair It but in this case maybe better to change It with something different.
Write a little bit about this please

Zero

Feb 11, 2005
Just 2Y is shorter but stronger 020 gearbox than your CRY gearbox in Ibiza.

1030kg ibiza vs 1240kg golf mk3 tell enough :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise