Drilling the centre console

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Guys, the plan is to fit the double-din centre console tomorrow, but I need to drill a hole at the bottom where I'll be putting the cig-lighter, next to the alternative OBD2 port. I'm not sure about the drill though and am looking for a little advice. Do I need some kind of core drill with a pilot, or just a big-ass wood-drill bit, or something else? Gonna get the Vernier callipers on the lighter socket to work out how big the hole needs to be, but it's gonna be bigger than any drill that I already own.

Advice?

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Guys, the plan is to fit the double-din centre console tomorrow, but I need to drill a hole at the bottom where I'll be putting the cig-lighter, next to the alternative OBD2 port. I'm not sure about the drill though and am looking for a little advice. Do I need some kind of core drill with a pilot, or just a big-ass wood-drill bit, or something else? Gonna get the Vernier callipers on the lighter socket to work out how big the hole needs to be, but it's gonna be bigger than any drill that I already own.

Advice?

melt it with a soldering iron/gun and then file to the right shape if I were you buddy :)

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
If only I had a soldering iron... D'oh! Was just gonna pick up a suitable drill tomorrow, make sure it's a round hole :D

Cheers though; may have to give a couple of people a call and see if I can borrow one that they don't mind returning with plastic all over :lol:

BTW, got another garage at last... one that I can get in to, so the car's wrapped up tonight :D

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
If only I had a soldering iron... D'oh! Was just gonna pick up a suitable drill tomorrow, make sure it's a round hole :D

Cheers though; may have to give a couple of people a call and see if I can borrow one that they don't mind returning with plastic all over :lol:

BTW, got another garage at last... one that I can get in to, so the car's wrapped up tonight :D

Good stuff.. I'm finally moved out of my student hovel.. but back with the parents!

Rauer

Hole saws are much better than wood spade bits I always use them for making perfectly round holes
search

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I'm doing the double-din dash conversion so the dash is in the boot at the moment anyway :D

I'll get the callipers on the socket in a mo and see how big a hole I need. I think it's only going to need to be 25mm-ish, but I'll get an exact measurement in a bit.

Thanks for the tips guys

Moshymosh

Mar 2, 2010
Poole, Dorset
Please can you post pics of this after you have done it i would love to see it, id love to have a double-din in my car much beter than my flip out.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Of course. It'll be going in my readers ride topic for sure and if we have time we'll be taking some photos of the process because the parts look a little different to when Pabs did his

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.