Help!

idasben

So driving home tonight, after about 5-6 miles the Handbrake light and Oil warning light began to flash, as well as the ABS coming on.

Having checked the oil 5 days ago this was a bit worrying to find it had burnt through half the range of oil, but having filled it back up it didn't pour out of the bottom.

However i'm now left sitting in a car park with an RAC guy next to me trying to figure out why the ABS light is solid and the handbrake light is flashing.

We've found a 01312 error from the ABS module but not much else. Also the ABS error won't clear, so the car won't clear the error light/persistant beeping.

Any ideas anyone? Car is likely to be sat outside a Seat dealership by the time you reply but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

dvance

Mar 23, 2010
Does the car move by any chance? As in check if the brakes have for some ceased/stuck. I haven't experienced this with my Tolly, but in my Alfa in winter, sometimes the handbrake gets stuck due to freezing, and I get pretty much the same problems with the ABS and handbrake light. I do realise that this is probably a long and inaccurate shot :)

idasben

Nope :(

Nope, the brakes were absolutely fine and working fine. The oil seems to be a sensor/control module fault as when the top oil pressure sensor is removed the light goes out. However the combined ABS and handbrake (or general brake) light is still ongoing.

Also, it's now in a garage and waiting for the assessment of what they think the problem is, and the inevitable bill with lots of zeros afterwards....

idasben

Update

Garage have resolved the issue, by removing the airbag control unit which was broken apparently and corrupting the general CANBUS feed for the entire setup. This led to it activating and causing faults upon several control units.

A days diag and testing came to £250 which wasn't tooo bad, however I'm now left with no air bag control unit as the price the garage quoted of approximately £600 to fit a new one is far and beyond out of my budget.

Having found a couple of Airbag control units from a breakers yard, any advice on this? Are they ok to use, obviously wouldn't use a breakers airbag as could be an issue, but is the control unit likely to be ok? Also how long would it take to fit (approximately)?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Tartan58

Ex Seat Owner!!
Apr 10, 2008
Edinburgh
I had a problem with my Airbag unit (although it didn't affect anything else in the car) and was quoted £550 by SEAT to replace so looked into 2nd hand ones - I bought one from e-bay but the plug was slightly different so it wouldn't work - just make sure you get the exact correct part number as they seem to differ slightly even within the Toledo range. (I've still got the one I bought if you let me know what part number you need ;) )

Fitting involves removing much of the lower dashboard and centre console, not too difficult if you take your time but could be quite time consuming. I think I've still got the step by step guide from the service manual somewhere, I'll try and look it out for you.

idasben

Ebay

Cheers Tartan58, i've contacted the seller on Ebay who has requested the specific chassis number to confirm its the correct part and said he'd happily refund if incorrect so hopefully should be ok.

Having spoke to the garage this morning they said there are three different parts which were fitted to Toledos, the one badged as Seat, a VW badged one and an Audi badged one depending on Engine, number of airbags, options you picked etc.

Could you PM me the details of the part as i'd be happy to buy one off you if it matches the part i'd be be buying off ebay anyway.

Also if you could get me any details of how to remove the lower dash to get to the module I might do it myself, however the garage quoted me £90 to fit it so not too bad to get it fitted and encoded etc.

Tartan58

Ex Seat Owner!!
Apr 10, 2008
Edinburgh
Will do, I'll try and find where I've stashed it when I get home tonight!!

£90 to fit and code sounds pretty good to save you the hassle of doing it yourself and you'd need to get it coded anyway.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise