DPF May need replacing soon - ouch!

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Just been to the dealers to have my FR PD170 MOT'ed (which it passed btw!) and asked them to look at another problem. They ran it though the various machines and come out saying the DPF pressure sensor needed replacing and the EGR was getting towards it's threshold limit. But, he said it might be worth thinking of getting rid soon because the DPF will need replacing at about 90K miles! (as well as the cambewlt at 80K!). Now, this is news to me - I had no idea they needed replacing but apparently so! I'm on 73K now and do about 25K a year. I asked how much a replacement DPF would be but he didn't know - he said they haven't had anyone with an FR TDi with that kind of mileage in and so have never had to price it up!! :(

So, trying to think what I can replace it with - don't fancy another SEAT, I want a change. Thought about the Megane RS but it's gonna cost too much. :(

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
I thought about that, but then again I'm still shelling out the best part of a grand for the delete hardware/software, then the cambelt will be another 500, EGR 300 etc - that's a couple of grand on a car already that is getting old (4 yrs now), high mileage and which if I did keep it I'd be looking to get rid in a couple of years anyway. I know the people who had it done love it, but a grand for DPF delete to get 50 or so more HP, I'd be more inclined to just buy something which had that power from stock.

Taipan

Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
I thought about that, but then again I'm still shelling out the best part of a grand for the delete hardware/software, then the cambelt will be another 500, EGR 300 etc - that's a couple of grand on a car already that is getting old (4 yrs now), high mileage and which if I did keep it I'd be looking to get rid in a couple of years anyway. I know the people who had it done love it, but a grand for DPF delete to get 50 or so more HP, I'd be more inclined to just buy something which had that power from stock.

Its about £650 for the delete if you go to the right place ;-)

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site

I actually meant about asking them if they wanted to sell their DPF pipe which they probably have sitting in a cupboard somewhere, now they have the DPF delete pipe fitted :)

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Its about £650 for the delete if you go to the right place ;-)

Still a fair amount to be paying though on a car which I won't be keeping too long. The value is dropping like hell on it due to the amount of miles I've got on it.

MikeShaw100

Leon FR - White Lightning
Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
WTF - When I was buying my FR, some three years ago, I was told the DPF 'should' last the life of the engine (ie its part of the engine, with no parts that wear). I wasnt planning on changing DPF as well as cam belt, so mabye the cars going to have to go at 80k?

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Wonder if the mk3 Leon will be out in 2011 or 2012?

Mike

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
That's exactly what I thought but apparently not! I might get the cambelt but I certainly ain't splashing out the kind of money that it will be for a replacement DPF!

yes dpf's are serviceable parts, we had a focus that should have had its dpf changed at 75k but the lease company wouldn't allow it. The car has since had lots of work done on the turbo, intelt, egr etc... i wouldn't like to say if its connected but makes you wonder. So all that money you derv boys spent on saving fuel now goes on a dpf.... should have got a Cupra, they are cheaper to run !!!

If I was you i would sell it, I don't see the point on spending the money, you might as well put it towards something newer :)

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Well I certainly won't be getting the DPF replaced! I'm not sure a cupra would be cheaper to run for me - I average 44MPG now and I reckon I'd average about 25 in the cupra. And I put in about £65 a week diesel so I reckon I'd put at least £100 (probably about £110/120 actually) a week in petrol (they're pretty much the same price now anyway give or take a few pence). So that's going on two grand a year more in fuel costs alone...

sunny2k2000

Under the Hood!
Sep 4, 2008
Leicester
Glad I brought my FR with the DPF Delete!

If you’re interested for the DPF Pipe I have one sitting in the garage. The previous owner kindy gave me the original DPF Pipe when I brought the car.

MikeShaw100

Leon FR - White Lightning
Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
Can anyone confirm dpf is listed as a servicable part in their manual, as assume if not, this is something seat should be contributing towards. Please let us all know.

In terms of savings on the tdi, mine is £2.5k cheaper to run 'each year' and cheaper new, so if it costs me £1k at 5 years old, that's still not bad.

Mike (still love my car at almost 3 years old

Last edited:

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Can anyone confirm dpf is listed as a servicable part in their manual, as assume if not, this is something seat should be contributing towards.

Whether it is or not, the only time they would be expected to ddo so would be inside the warranty period.

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
That's exactly what I thought but apparently not! I might get the cambelt but I certainly ain't splashing out the kind of money that it will be for a replacement DPF!
Cam belt is 4 yrs and or 80k which ever comes first. ................dpf delete IS cheaper than replacing the unit at around £1200.00 so much for progress. ...............................................

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
if it was me and you like the Leon i would just chop it in for one with less miles and then get the DPF Removed

Luckily i only have 22k on the clock and i dont have a DPF so im kool.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members