1.8 20v Advice And Opinions

THE_Liam

Hi all, sorry if this has been covered before but I've been looking and I can't find what I'm after :blink:

First of all, I was thinking about a Toledo V5 170 but after getting insurance quotes of around £1500 TPFT due to living in an area rife with car crime (mostly students leaving laptops in their Puntos :rolleyes:) I've been looking at the 1.8 20v which is less than half that to insure. So basically, what do we think of the 20v? How is it to drive? MPG? Performance? Any common faults? Any remaps or chips worth looking at?

Secondly, what are Toledos like to own and drive in general? And what should I be looking for when buying one? Couldn't find a buyers guide anywhere :think:

People have been telling me to get a diesel, but after owning a couple of 306 D-Turbos I'm sick of derv, fancy a nice revvy petrol engine, not to mention something more reliable. Much as I love my 306 its nowt but hassle. Plus, the derv Toledos seem to be about twice the price of an equivalent 20v....

Sorry for the 20 questions :)

cookie1978

Jun 17, 2009
huddersfield
I have a toledo 1.8 20vt on an 03 plate and its just done 100.000miles. It still drives spot on and handles well for a family car. I get around 30mpg on the work run going steady but can drop to 20mpg if late :D. On a run it gets a bit better and its about 36mpg ish depending on driving style.
Had to have the gearbox out to fix a gear problem i had which was no 1st or 2nd gear, selector fault. While box was out i fitted new clutch, cost me about 450 quid.
Thought of selling it but theres no other car i would enjoy for the money.

THE_Liam

Any idea what the NA 20v is like though? Can't afford a turbo, more to insure than the V5! Gonna try test drive one next weekend :)

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
Toledo shell is lighter and stiffer than the Leon that is derived from it. The only real downside is the relatively small boot opening. Everything mechanical that applies to the Leon (apart from the tailgate, obviously) also applies to the Toledo.

VAG diesels are a world away from most others, very reliable and well engineered. Hold their value better than petrol engines, but insurance is usually less as diesels are less attractive to car thieves.

THE_Liam

Yeah I'm pretty experienced with dervs, on my second XUD engined 306 D-Turbo so I know the score with tuning 'em, I just hate the lack of revs and tractory noise of 'em. Thats why I'm after a petrol, but as well as that I've seen a couple of low-miles 20v Toledos with FSH for around 1300-1500 quid, and all the diesel engined ones in that condition are a grand and a half more expensive than that, and that bit of extra mpg and torque isn't worth that much extra cash to me....

I'm sick of tired high mileage cars, so I'm going for a 1.8 I think :)

toledo sport

Aug 27, 2006
I had a 2004 1.8 20v se toledo,well equipped, handled well ,very good mpg and performed well. Get a drive in one and see what you think. Let me know if you have any questions.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members