Detailing

makkakm

Jun 9, 2010
Hi Guys.

Just a quick question to throw in.
What kind of polish do you guys use, i have used many different types and manufacturers. Just wondering what everbody prefered.

Makka

CupraR1

The Future's Orange
Dec 27, 2005
Preston
This may throw a Cat among the Pigeons, Main polish I use is pure Honey Wax, It’s a mold release compound that delivers the highest luster possible, bad news is you need to get about 7 coats on for people to stop and ask you “what do you polish that with”? I have used it for about 15 years on Audi S2 TT etc. Best shine & protection I have seen

http://www.specialtyproductsco.com/Honey Wax.htm

Last edited:

NickP

Apr 23, 2003
Colchester, Essex
Visit site
Menzerna, or Gloss It, both designed to be used with a DA or Rotary....

I think a lot of people tend to get confused between Polishes and Wax - a polish will be abrasive....

bigsteve_FR

i just used Dodo juice purple haze wax on my black leon and it looks like a mirror/glass finish....really good stuff:D

joolsvern

The biggest MEMBER here
Jun 22, 2009
Doncaster
Been using chemicals guys polish and pete's 53 wax also on black leon, don't do enough detailing to try diff stuff, still got my original of both from 18 months ago.

i've just started using dodo supernatural on our raven black tt and in the sun the flake really does pop. With the leon i've been using finnish kare but once i've gone over the car with a DA i have some dodo banana armour or orange crush to try on it.

firefire0

Just tried the Autoglym HD Wax, was really impressed with it, easy to apply and remove. Have a look on Youtube for it to see for yourself, although at £40 it's quite expensive but if you know someone else who wants some Halfords are doing buy one get one free at the moment so would make it affordable at £20.
I used the Super Resin polish first then the Extra Gloss Protection then the HD Wax.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
Thing you have to remember is its a waste of time polishing paintwork that is not free from contaminents or debris , washing a car only removes the surface crap , if you polish straight on to this all you do is push the contaminents into the paint work which produces scratches and swirling.

Best thing you can do is clay bar or use a paint cleasner first , you will be amazed what this can do to your paint work.
and the thing people seem to forget about is waxing the polishing you have just done , this protects and seals (depending if you use a synthetic or natural wax).
great results can be achieved but you have to remember its not a one hit wonder that you just do and forget about , building up layers is key to protecting the paint work.

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
As per NickP... polishes are abbrasive and dont leave protection behind so be careful you dont get these mixed up with waxes or sealants which add a layer of protection and usually enhance the finish.

The finish only being as good as the prep work which Robdf2 touched on above when he mentioned claying the car.

Anyway, i use Menzerna, Serious Performance and DoDo Juice polishes (if you include Lime Prime). I then use DoDo Juice waxes.

www.detailingworld.co.uk will open your eyes to how far the term "detailing" really goes.

simonp123

Jun 7, 2010
Wiltshire
Thing you have to remember is its a waste of time polishing paintwork that is not free from contaminents or debris , washing a car only removes the surface crap , if you polish straight on to this all you do is push the contaminents into the paint work which produces scratches and swirling.

Best thing you can do is clay bar or use a paint cleasner first , you will be amazed what this can do to your paint work.
and the thing people seem to forget about is waxing the polishing you have just done , this protects and seals (depending if you use a synthetic or natural wax).
great results can be achieved but you have to remember its not a one hit wonder that you just do and forget about , building up layers is key to protecting the paint work.

Absolutely. I have used cleasners etc in the past, but with the Leon I have used a clay bar for the first time and it makes such a huge difference to the end post-wax result. Time consuming, but worth the effort in saved time cleaning later. You only have to go the whole hog say twce a year, then it is just a case of occasional waxing and just using a quick finish after each wash. Or if you're lazy like me, every other wash:redface:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.