Car starting issues - fixed!

Faisal

UK's 1st Liquid Yello LCR
May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
Got a weird problem that occured out the blue if you guys can help me.

When turning the key to start the car, i dont hear the primer whirring noise when i turn half way, and then in turn, the car doesnt start when i turn it full. it tries very hard to start, but no joy...battery is fine, i have a quarter tank of fuel in her... what do i do? does that mean my fuel primer is messed up?fuel pump?

how would i get the car started so i can take it to the nearest garage?

thanks.

Last edited:

01samuelr

pete the pirate
Jul 22, 2007
North Wales.
no sound coming from the fuel pump at all.
1.if not get a meter on the wires to it it and check for voltage
2.take the fuel pump out and run a current thrugh it to see if it works
3.check the fuel filter (should still make a priming noise even if this is blocked)

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
could it be the injector or something?

this will sound retarded but how easy/hard is the fuel pump to take out?is it near the fuel filter?

hope its not to expensive :/

01samuelr

pete the pirate
Jul 22, 2007
North Wales.
should be under the rear seat dont know for sure because i dont own a leon yet lol. If you are not confident can you get a mate to look at it. I would start with a voltmeter on the fuel pump conections at least then you can rule out the electrical side of it i.e. fuses and wiring.

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
i shall contract a local legend to fault find this for me, il try the voltmeter, if its not the fuel pump, what else could it be?could it be the injectors or spark plugs or something?

thanks again for your help guys

libiza2007

Leon 666
Jan 19, 2007
Bridgend, South Wales
i had this problem a while ago, but on my car the EML or EPC light wasn't illuminating! is this the case for you aswell? I finally fixed mine when i took the ECU out and found a crap load of water in the connecting blocks, but also the 12v connector had snapped off.

01samuelr

pete the pirate
Jul 22, 2007
North Wales.
if it was the spark plugs then it would run like a bag of **** but should still start unless they are completely shaged but you would have noticed it whilst driving the car would have started hesitating(sp) and missing. Same with the injectors realy your injectors shouldent be blocked by dirt because thats what the fuel filter is there for.

cant think of anything else obvious that it can be

when starting the car does it catch and stall or just turns over

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
out of 10 attempts it caught twice then stalled, but apart form that it kept only turning over...

the two times it caught was when i left it a while before trying again

Last edited:

J-S

Had same problem with fuel pump on a Peugeot. The pump was located under the rear seats, if it is dead should be as easy as disconnecting a wire and a few pipes. Best bet is a breakers for a second hand one probably cost about £30.

01samuelr

pete the pirate
Jul 22, 2007
North Wales.
sunds like a dodgy fuel pump any mates with one you could borrow. they can be had for around £50 and take about 10 mins to fit so not the end of the world

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
was on the phone to a few garages and just about to order the fuel pump when a mechanic at a garage mentioned it could well be the immobiliser stopping me from starting the car. it needs to go on vag com before we can be sure but i can try that.

does this issue sound immobiliser related? iv lost my spare key so need to dig that out to try it...

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
wee update, not the immobiliser, tried my key and the spare key, nothing. there wasnt any flashing lights for the immobiliser thingy so thats not it. priced up parts and its gonna cost me quite a fair bit for a fuel pump....

waiting on my mate to arrive with VAG COM before i splash out my FMIC fund on one...

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
ran a diagnostic check, came up with with an intermittent issue with the circuit for the fuel pump code 00771 so i liberated a volt meter, tested the wiring, everythings fine. i guess its because its not working. so ordered a fuel pump, should arrive by tomorrow, gonna stick it in.

how do i get the fuel pump out? the flaps unscrewed and the plugs are ready to come off, do i just pull it up or is it held in place?

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
part just arrived...not what i think im looking for...the guy at the garage says thats the fuel pump i.e. what sits inside the fuel tank, not under the rear passenger seat.

the part under the passenger seat is the motor, is that correct? so is it actually the motor that i need?not the pump itself?

Faisal

May 27, 2008
Most likely at work
no it doesnt,the thing i got through the post was a white thing,fatter and shorter,and it had a tube with it.
the thing under the back seat that makes the whirring sound is round,has a plug and 2 hose things on it.cant see underneath it tho because im having a hard time taking it out.that is aparently the motor

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members