Cheap ebay grade clay bar..any good?

andreww

Mar 31, 2008
Cornwall and Cheltenham
I have been looking at getting a clay bar, on ebay prices start at just under a fiver direct from china.. I am not going to post a link but the name is something like: Car Clay Bar Auto Detailing Magic Claybar Cleaner Blue.

I assume using such a cheap product would do more harm than good..however I just thought I would ask you good folks.

01samuelr

pete the pirate
Jul 22, 2007
North Wales.
will be rubbish probably to harsh and make a mess of your paintwork. I use dodo juice supernatural clay and lube, its good stuff, infact all dodo juice stuff is [B)]

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
The good clays aren't that expensive and it lasts for ages. I got a few ounces for not much money and I've still got a load left.

Read

I've used the ebay one no probs.. Bilt Hamber probably make the best ones imo as you can just use water as a lubricant as opposed to shampoo and water.

SimonFRTDI

Oct 13, 2009
Bristol
Clean your Car do a pack of 3 for about £15 and the bars are bigger than the megs ones (I use half each time).

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
Bilt Hammer, you can use water as a lube, so save in the long run :)

I've used the ebay one no probs.. Bilt Hamber probably make the best ones imo as you can just use water as a lubricant as opposed to shampoo and water.

You can use water as lube for any of the clay bar kits. Tbh i don't think the megs kit needs a big bottle of quick detailer, i've used water plenty of times with good results ;)

Tweedie

To be fair I bought my first clay bar kit from Halfords and it was the meguires one. Only £20 for the starter kit. For the sake of £15 and being able to buy it now I would just get the kit from here not china!!

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
You can use water as lube for any of the clay bar kits. Tbh i don't think the megs kit needs a big bottle of quick detailer, i've used water plenty of times with good results ;)

no you can't, they need something in the water (sorry brain dead cannot remember what it was) bilt hammer is the only one to allow just water as a lube

you may of used water, but I wouldn't unless it states you can, most these clays are harsh and require a lubricant specific to them :)

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
no you can't, they need something in the water (sorry brain dead cannot remember what it was) bilt hammer is the only one to allow just water as a lube

you may of used water, but I wouldn't unless it states you can, most these clays are harsh and require a lubricant specific to them :)

Water is fine for megs too. I'm just saying i've used loads of different ones, water has been fine on all of them. Maybe i've just been lucky :funk:

suj

Wheel Connoisseur
Jan 1, 2009
Birmingham
Water is fine for megs too. I'm just saying i've used loads of different ones, water has been fine on all of them. Maybe i've just been lucky :funk:

possibly, what I meant is I would stick to the manufacturers request to use either a quick detailer/water if specified

you don't wanna end up with ruined paintwork!

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
possibly, what I meant is I would stick to the manufacturers request to use either a quick detailer/water if specified

you don't wanna end up with ruined paintwork!

My paintwork isn't great anyway, can't make it much worse scratch wise :cartman:

AFAIK you only need to avoid the clay "sticking" as you move it across the paintwork - Obviously quick detailer is better as a lubricant and prevents it sticking more than water.

What I've done in the past is just have the hose running in my left hand and "sheet" the water over the panel/area I'm claying and that provides enough lubricant to stop the clay sticking. I had been using bilt hammer though, which is not meant to be the most abrasive of clays. Was planning on changing brand just to see the dif, so might take some more expert advice.

jonesy118

Mar 8, 2009
Cheshire
I'm going to give bilt hamber a try when I next need some clay.

I've currently got some of the CleanYourCar poly clay, which someone mentioned above, which is pretty damn good, and cheap too for the amount you get. (240g for £13)