Massive tyre ****-up ;(

4937Liam

Jan 12, 2010
Lakenheath, Suffolk.
Basically as the title suggests ive made a bit of a boo, boo as far as im concerned.
Finally my LCR 18's are fitted but ive got the bloody wrong load index when im sure i need (XL) tyres. The wheels have been fitted to my FR150 (heavy diesel engine) so after doing some research on the forum the rule of thumb suggests you need XL tyres on 225/40/R18 tyres.

Im out of pocket big time and can now only afford budgets as the replacements.
Lesson learned the hard way I guess...:censored::(

dav3

devilishd4ve xbox tag
Mar 29, 2007
Essex
You'll be ok mate as the tyres don't always say xl but they are. On the side wall just after the 18 it shouldn't say less 92 w,x or y. The xl just means the side walls and bracing plys in tyre are slightly sturdier than normal tyres

seantdi

no smoke no poke!!
Jan 18, 2009
ireland
mate the diesel might be a small bit heavier than a lcr but it dont weigh 2.25 tonn. the xl only helps it you hit a pothole or something. the reinforced sidewall might stop a blow out but you will more than likely end up with a big bulge so you will need a new tyre anyways...
if your that worried about it either try sell on the set you have now and replace them with ones you want or else just replace the two on the front where all the weight is and keep the ones you have now for the back

edit

federal would be budget tyres imo. i wouldnt put any cheaper tyres on it no matter wwhat was printed on the side. i was getting tyres fitted last week and while i was there the fellow was showing me nantangs (spelling) which had the same rating as my hankooks ant the side wall felt as soft as butter on them

Last edited:

Scottl

You wouldn't normally need XL tyres for a TDI becuase they are not that heavy.

Due to the low profile needed for your wheels though you do need a 92 rating on this occasion, as said in the above post, which is an XL tyre.

Fien

Mar 11, 2010
Chester
just realised that the tyres i have on are R18W88's. bought the car 3 months a go. luckily i've just ordered some Flaken 452's which are 92's. Glad i looked it up rather than just copying what i already had on the car.

gezmeister

I need a derv!!
Apr 1, 2008
Norwich
I'll admit i didn't do enough research when it came to the tyres - i'd spent enough on the Powdercoating at the time and wanted something mid-range to budget.

I've literally done the same, but spent loads of time researching, and eventually came up with a set of Kumho 712 ecsta's, £231 delivered for a set of 4 ;)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.