Anyone with a MK2 Leon on Nitrous?

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Anyone on here got nitrous?

I know that water/meth is popular, but wondered if anyone has dared venture down the same road as me and would like their opinions and thoughts on it if they have. Cheers[B)]

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
I think only TFSI Mike has water meth and i dont think he has it fitted yet and no ones running nitrous either. Your the only crazy mofo with nitrous mate, maybe try the yank forums for advice.

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
I think only TFSI Mike has water meth and i dont think he has it fitted yet and no ones running nitrous either. Your the only crazy mofo with nitrous mate, maybe try the yank forums for advice.

Tried the Yank brigade and they are more in the dark over there about NOS with VW's than the UK is:confused:

Hurdy

Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
Just dyno'd the car today.....

100shotnitrousRR.jpg

438.7hp and a peak torque of 510 lbft on nitrous
339.8hp and peak torque of 381lbft without nitrous.

The settings are less agressive for the dyno than on the road as the nitrous wasn't even set to start until 3200rpm.

Absolutely no sign of slip on the DSG box and AFR's on nitrous were a solid, held 11.5.

Interesting for me is that my torque on nitrous is as high at 6000rpm as the peak without nitrous. Also I'm making more power at 3500rpm on nitrous than my peak power without. [B)]

This is a REALLY impressive modification and it would be interesting to compare it to say, the GT2871R that I was thinking of fitting.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
You are mad! How does wheelspin affect things with Nitrous?

Cupra R

Dec 5, 2001
UK.
Visit site
Eeerrrrmmm, think I need to venture over to sth York's for a pass ride :lol:

Mindst, I'd probably be left needing more after experiencing that level of power haha.

How long until the next stage is completed lol

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Call me Mr Pessimist, but pretty poor power curve for NOS...maybe turn it off over 5krpm too?

Poor :confused: why would you turn it off??? Its still pulling consistantly 430bhp on NOS after 5krpm all the way to 6250rpm is it not?

Dont go to mad down at the pod and blow it up before you get those rods in there John ;)

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
2 questions....

1. Why is it a poor power curve?

2. Why turn the NOS off after 5k rpm?

Look at the visual difference between the 2 power curves, forget the figures.

On nitrous, you are making peak power at 5250 and then it drops off considerably. Look at the more sustained power line off nitrous, it makes peak power at 6500. Okay, yes the car is still making a lot more power on nitrous so it makes sense to use the nitrous to go quicker. I think he is just saying that the nitrous power line can be better. Torque line is good though.

This to me looks like perhaps the exhaust manifold is causing a restriction. It just can't flow quickly enough top end. Either that or your ECU is backing off in 1 way or another. BTW, I had exactly this issue on my NOS Mk1 LCR;) I suppose you could set the controller to be more progressive so peak power comes in later?

Saying all that, as you say, the figures speak for themselves, in most areas of the rev range you are pulling significantly more power/torque than off.

Last edited:

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Look at the visual difference between the 2 power curves, forget the figures.

On nitrous, you are making peak power at 5250 and then it drops off considerably. Look at the more sustained power line off nitrous, it makes peak power at 6500. Okay, yes the car is still making a lot more power on nitrous so it makes sense to use the nitrous to go quicker. I think he is just saying that the nitrous power line can be better. Torque line is good though.

This to me looks like perhaps the exhaust manifold is causing a restriction. It just can't flow quickly enough top end. Either that or your ECU is backing off in 1 way or another. BTW, I had exactly this issue on my NOS Mk1 LCR;) I suppose you could set the controller to be more progressive so peak power comes in later?

Saying all that, as you say, the figures speak for themselves, in most areas of the rev range you are pulling significantly more power/torque than off.

I think your getting the torque curve mixed up with the power curve as they pass through each other as the power stays pretty much straight after 5krpm on NOS.

Look more closely at the graph mate ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members