Not happy with Garages !

coops10

Sep 1, 2009
Middlesex
www.coops-photo.co.uk
Not had very good experiences lately....

Usually I service the car myself but thought I would get a proper job done and chose AMD to do my service as I had heard good things about them.

During the service they found the sump nut was spinning and couldn't remove it. So they heli-coiled it and put a new plug in there and told me it was fine and not leaking oil.

Two weeks later I check my oil level as Im about to go on a long drive and it doesn't even come up to the indented part on the dipstick :wtf:

Look under the car and the sump is dripping oil [:@]

Also I read you should put 5w30 fully synth in the LCR but on the invoice it says they used 5w40 semi synth.

They will be getting a call on Monday!

Second bad experience.....

Took the car to a local garage to get my tyres fitted, which they do for a fair price. A week later I check my tyre pressues and one is at 19psi, two at 22psi and one at 23psi :wtf: Should be 33psi all round, and there were two valve caps missing too !!! :censored:

Its booked in for £1500's worth of work at VAG Tune in three weeks time so they better not piss me off too!

Not happy at the moment. A new sump is £100 + fitting :(

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
Finding a good garage with people you can trust is not always easy
If its new sump time it maybe a good time to go baffled

BEOWULF

I am BEOWULF !!!
Mar 18, 2006
I AM IN FRONT OF YOU
Also I read you should put 5w30 fully synth in the LCR but on the invoice it says they used 5w40 semi synth.

Sorry about your experiences mate
Not true mate 5w 40 or 10w 40 semi synthetic is fine
But a lot of people will use 5w30 unless u ask for that oil they will just put in what the manufacturers recommend or what autodata says or elsa say to use :(

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
The sump nut problem could have happened at any garage.

I'v been useing AmD since I bought my car 4 years ago and I'v never had a problem with any of the work they have done for me

andycupra

status subject to change
some garages do seem to encounter a disproportionate amount of issues when completing work..

Id certainly call AMD and see what they can do regards the sump. Will be interesting to see how they respond.

I think a new sump fitted at a dealer is around £210.

Last edited:

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Sump plugs should be changed every service and torqued to 30nm. Problem is they dont get replaced and over tightened which pulls the thread out. Never trusted helicoils much myself, always advised a new sump to be 100% sure its sorted.

coops10

Sep 1, 2009
Middlesex
www.coops-photo.co.uk
Finding a good garage with people you can trust is not always easy
If its new sump time it maybe a good time to go baffled

Not sure on the baffled route, doubt it will every be highly abused on a track so its just an unneeded expense? How much is a baffled sump out of interest ?

But a lot of people will use 5w30 unless u ask for that oil they will just put in what the manufacturers recommend or what autodata says or elsa say to use :(

The sump nut problem could have happened at any garage.

I'v been useing AmD since I bought my car 4 years ago and I'v never had a problem with any of the work they have done for me

This is exactly why I went to AMD. But they told me they had fixed it, and if I hadn't checked the oil when I did, I could have been running an engine with no oil = big bucks

some garages do seem to encounter a disproportionate amount of issues when completing work..

Id certainly call AMD and see what they can do regards the sump. Will be interesting to see how they respond.

I think a new sump fitted at a dealer is around £210.

Exactly what I plan on doing on Monday. Only problem is they are on the other side of London and its such a trek around the M25 to get back there.

Sump plugs should be changed every service and torqued to 30nm. Problem is they dont get replaced and over tightened which pulls the thread out. Never trusted helicoils much myself, always advised a new sump to be 100% sure its sorted.

Hmmm.... Im thinking im going to need a new sump now as it seems the helicoil hasnt worked. This car is costing me a hell of a lot of money :(

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Never trusted garages EVER!!! the only time it goes in is for an MOT!!! do a better job myself

i personally would fit a new sump and always change sump screw every service! also take it back to AMD as it was them that done the damage.:(

cheers techie for the torque setting for the sump screw i was looking for ages on here a while ago for that and never found it. i will torque it to that in the future:D:D

Aug 5, 2008
Morning,

We had this car in for a service a afew weeks ago and found the sump plug just spinning in the sump.

Advised you/the customer of this and said we can either helicoil the sump or replace it with a new one. We did advise this may not work at the time and we may possibly need to fit a new sump, if this didn't work. We were able to get a new sump the same day if it was needed.

You decided to go for the helicoil option as it was cheaper than a new sump and you didn't want to spend too much on the car, which is fair enough as there was other issues with it that needed sorting.

We helicoiled the sump and it was not leaking. The car was run up on the ramp, checked for leaks, road tested and again checked. All was still ok.

If it is the sump plug leaking from the helicoil repair and not another issue then we will offer half price fitting on a new sump as a good will gesture.

It is best to just give us a call and talk to us if you ever have a problem. We are here to help with any issues "should" they occur and we arn't just going to tell you to "do one"

Ben

Last edited:

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Usually I service the car myself but thought I would get a proper job done...

...the sump nut was spinning and couldn't remove it.

Theres two bits of info there that smack me in the face when i read this thread (high-lighted)
So you were the last person to remove the sump plug, made a balls of it and now someone else is doing the job, they find it then give you 2 alternatives to repair it, carry out the work you asked them to do (instead of the proper repair as advised), which they cannot garauntee will work then you give them a slating on here without even talking to them!?!

Well what a muppet you appear to be.

AMD are amongst the good guys and have a very good rep on here (they also sponsor the site. and trust me - the admin team dont let just anyone on board).

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
If it is the sump plug leaking from the helicoil repair and not another issue then we will offer half price fitting on a new sump as a good will gesture.

It is best to just give us a call and talk to us if you ever have a problem. We are here to help with any issues "should" they occur and we arn't just going to tell you just to "do one"

Ben

More and more garages need this level of customer service.

coops10

Sep 1, 2009
Middlesex
www.coops-photo.co.uk
Theres two bits of info there that smack me in the face when i read this thread (high-lighted)
So you were the last person to remove the sump plug, made a balls of it and now someone else is doing the job, they find it then give you 2 alternatives to repair it, carry out the work you asked them to do (instead of the proper repair as advised), which they cannot garauntee will work then you give them a slating on here without even talking to them!?!

AMD are amongst the good guys and have a very good rep on here (they also sponsor the site. and trust me - the admin team dont let just anyone on board).

Fair assumption, but you are wrong im afraid. I have only had this car around 6-8months and as its a performance car I decided to take it to the experts to get the level of service it required.

I always used to service my old 1.2 corsa and never had a single problem with it in 4 years of ownership.

Morning,

We had this car in for a service a afew weeks ago and found the sump plug just spinning in the sump.

Advised you/the customer of this and said we can either helicoil the sump or replace it with a new one. We did advise this may not work at the time and we may possibly need to fit a new sump, if this didn't work. We were able to get a new sump the same day if it was needed.

You decided to go for the helicoil option as it was cheaper than a new sump and you didn't want to spend too much on the car, which is fair enough as there was other issues with it that needed sorting.

We helicoiled the sump and it was not leaking. The car was run up on the ramp, checked for leaks, road tested and again checked. All was still ok.

It is best to just give us a call and talk to us if you ever have a problem. We are here to help with any issues "should" they occur and we arn't just going to tell you to "do one"

Ben

Fair enough, it was always a risk going for the helicoil and we agreed this when you performed the work. Strange how it has suddenly started leaking and lost over half a tank of oil? Or maybe is was low on oil when it left AMD? Unfortunately I didnt check it afterwards.

Ben, I appreciate your reply and the offer of half price fitting on the sump. Only problem is I live on the opposite side of the M25 and it takes an age to get there :(

If I give you a call maybe we can work something else out?

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk

why didnt you ring AMD first before posting on here?

have to agree there. you picked the cheap option and they made you aware of what could happen.

if the car isnt going to be tracked there isnt really an issue with using semi sythetic oil anyway.

alot of fuss about nothing in my opinion. :shrug:

Aug 5, 2008
Fair enough, it was always a risk going for the helicoil and we agreed this when you performed the work. Strange how it has suddenly started leaking and lost over half a tank of oil? Or maybe is was low on oil when it left AMD? Unfortunately I didnt check it afterwards.

Ben, I appreciate your reply and the offer of half price fitting on the sump. Only problem is I live on the opposite side of the M25 and it takes an age to get there :(

If I give you a call maybe we can work something else out?

I can assure you the car would not have left here with a low oil level. As said before the repair was checked and checked again!

Why the repair of the helicoil has failed (if it has?) I do not know with out looking at the car, it was not leaking when it left here and all was well.

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster

i wouldnt run a 10w40 personally on a turbo'd petrol (cold temp weight is too viscous imo ) , ive ran 5w30 for the last 40k of owning the car, Vag designers seem to think its the right stuff, so id be happy with what they say,

only once you're taking the parameters of the engine out of manufacturers tolerences would i look at running different oil, ie trackdays etc

MJ

Public transport abuser
Apr 22, 2008
Manchester
m.facebook.com
Usually I service the car myself

Does not imply that - i used to service my old corsa and had no problems with that, it sounds exactly as it says and makes it out as though you've serviced the leon yourself before now.

I would have put "usually i service my own cars but..." to avoid confusion.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Excellent response from AMD. Things go wrong and given the chance they are happy to help. Daft slating them on here when youve not contacted them first?

coops10

Sep 1, 2009
Middlesex
www.coops-photo.co.uk
why didnt you ring AMD first before posting on here?

have to agree there. you picked the cheap option and they made you aware of what could happen.

if the car isnt going to be tracked there isnt really an issue with using semi sythetic oil anyway.

alot of fuss about nothing in my opinion. :shrug:

As it was a Sunday, they were not open. I wasn't happy so vented my frustration on here.

Does not imply that - i used to service my old corsa and had no problems with that, it sounds exactly as it says and makes it out as though you've serviced the leon yourself before now.

I would have put "usually i service my own cars but..." to avoid confusion.

Im sorry you read my post wrong...

Excellent response from AMD. Things go wrong and given the chance they are happy to help. Daft slating them on here when youve not contacted them first?

As before, it was a Sunday and I wanted to talk about it, hence the thread. People could chip in their opinions and offer advice on the best thing to do. This is what forums are for?

And its not just aimed at AMD, its about the tyre place too.

BEOWULF

I am BEOWULF !!!
Mar 18, 2006
I AM IN FRONT OF YOU
i wouldnt run a 10w40 personally on a turbo'd petrol (cold temp weight is too viscous imo ) , ive ran 5w30 for the last 40k of owning the car, Vag designers seem to think its the right stuff, so id be happy with what they say,

only once you're taking the parameters of the engine out of manufacturers tolerences would i look at running different oil, ie trackdays etc

I did not imply or did i say use 10w40 all i said is the what the manufacturer recommends to use in this climate

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
A

As before, it was a Sunday and I wanted to talk about it, hence the thread. People could chip in their opinions and offer advice on the best thing to do. This is what forums are for?

And its not just aimed at AMD, its about the tyre place too.

If they had found it leaking, not informed you, didnt offer to fix it and denied all knowledge then youve a right to be critical.

You were advised it may not work and didnt check your oil for 2 weeks? I cant see what your problem is? Things leak and let by especially when heat or pressure is in the mix. Not AMDs fault is it?

As i say to my customers, all new work settles and needs keeping an eye on. once ive gone thats down to the customer. as a plumber theres little i can do if i dont know about it.

You only know how good a a person/place is when it goes wrong. Lucky then you went to AMD.