Is my car paint 'black magic' ?

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
As above, I don't really know what the paint code is or what variation of BLACK it is, I need to order some touch up paint for bonnet stone chips

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
I paid about the same as those ebay links for some from a dealer.
I've been looking recently at getting a bit more, so might try these

jaybeee

[e]
Feb 24, 2006
Belfast
www.metalrhino.com
I've used Halfords kit for my black magic car; it's the Skoda Black Magic set.
I found it very difficult to get a good finish. On anything bigger than a tiny wee chip, it looks crap tbh.

I've heard good things about http://chipex.co.uk/ and will be using it soon. I have quite a few chips & minor scratches/scuffs that tis stuff seems to be best at sorting. Expensive but my experience with paint tells me it'll be worth it.

Mo Arif

V.A.G Planet
May 5, 2010
Birmingham
I've used Halfords kit for my black magic car; it's the Skoda Black Magic set.
I found it very difficult to get a good finish. On anything bigger than a tiny wee chip, it looks crap tbh.

I've heard good things about http://chipex.co.uk/ and will be using it soon. I have quite a few chips & minor scratches/scuffs that tis stuff seems to be best at sorting. Expensive but my experience with paint tells me it'll be worth it.

Let me know how you get on with that, i've just bought one of the eGay kits see how it goes.

Pyro

If you buy cheep paint then you will never have a good finish the only way you can ever get a good even finish is with compresed air ;) so for touch ups I'd spend that little extra to get the best finish you can or your gunna have start sanding down the previously messed up spot and blending and that's were it gets hard and if you mess that up hello mr respray :( me and my mate have bin doing minor spray jobs for bout 18 months and I'm just gettin to grips with blending but have practiced on an old can we have ;) it's about 7 different colour now lol but yea spend the little extra mate ;)

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
I tried the dr colorchip kit from the USA on a group buy at detailing world.
In principle it looks great but in practice for me it wasnt that good as it didnt dry gloss so you could still see the chips albeit a little less obvious.

jaybeee

[e]
Feb 24, 2006
Belfast
www.metalrhino.com
I tried the dr colorchip kit from the USA on a group buy at detailing world.
In principle it looks great but in practice for me it wasnt that good as it didnt dry gloss so you could still see the chips albeit a little less obvious.
^^ mmm interesting. Dr Colorchip is the same as Chipex afaik. tbh I'm not looking to get it like new; with my son and many nephews & nieces about the car is always in a precarious place anyway lol Just want to hide a few chips and make scuff etc much less noticeable.

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
If I don't dry gloss you can always lacquer it ;)

Why would I want to laquer you ;)
Seriously it is supposed to be a one hit solution and therefore I would have expected it to dry gloss.

^^ mmm interesting. Dr Colorchip is the same as Chipex afaik

I wondered that as there was a post on the forum from the Chipex people recently.
I asked and the answer was that they arnt.

Last edited:

Pyro

Why would I want to laquer you ;)
Seriously it is supposed to be a one hit solution and therefore I would have expected it gloss.

Frome personal exsperience they never do they always need lacquer ;)

dholdi

Jul 3, 2008
Preston
Yep, that was my experience too. Having to laquer unless you are extremely lucky will mean having to wetsand the laquer back and then machine polish. Thats why next time I'm going to try the paint from paints4u which comes with laquer premixed in and is 1/4 the price of the above mentioned kits. I know I'm going to have to wetsand and m/c polish afterwards to get the finish I want so to my mind this is the cheaper of the two options.
All imho of course as others with different colours or less picky than me may be quite happy with the results from the kits.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members