LC sounds like a diesel?

cupra-barn

It's all about stealth!
Aug 4, 2010
Worcester
Just after some opinions really,

Ive had my LC 10 days now and something ive noticed is that when i start the car it sounds (much to my upset) like a diesel for around 3 seconds then goes quite.
Is this normal?
Does this sound like an issue?
Am i over reacting? :shrug:

Please help. :help:

Barns

Aug 5, 2010
Pig Hill

Ive had my LC 10 days now and something ive noticed is that when i start the car it sounds (much to my upset) like a diesel for around 3 seconds then goes quite.
Is this normal?

Barns

It goes quite quiet after turning it on? ;)

I've noticed this effect on many cars, I'm no mechanic but I believe it's something you shouldn't worry about.

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster

Is this normal?

Barns

yeah its normal, alot of first morning start rattles/noises are caused by a thin oil (which usually turbo engine req) and hydraulic cam followers, over night the oil makes its way to the sump, usually draining away from the followers too,

all 1.8 turbos as they start turn over like a diesel, then you'll usually get a 2-3 second grrr first thing in a morning , or usually if its not been run for 24 hours +,,, only way to explain it,

way to prove it is start it up then turn it off and start it again the noise will of dissapeared,

cupra-barn

It's all about stealth!
Aug 4, 2010
Worcester
Ahh i think i follow you.

Least its a normal thing was beginning to worry.

Is there anything you can do or not really? Like you said u get a few seconds of high revs sounding diesel'y then all hunky dorey..
While im asking things do you need to let the turbo warm up/cool down before moving/turning it off?
Ive heard mixed things on this so far im leaving it about a minute before turning off.:shrug:

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
Ahh i think i follow you.

Least its a normal thing was beginning to worry.

Is there anything you can do or not really? Like you said u get a few seconds of high revs sounding diesel'y then all hunky dorey..
While im asking things do you need to let the turbo warm up/cool down before moving/turning it off?
Ive heard mixed things on this so far im leaving it about a minute before turning off.:shrug:

no not really, it wont get any worse,

as for the turbo, give it 10-15 mins of steady driving first thing , even when the coolant temp gauge says 90 the oil temp still isnt up to running temp,

once warm dont be scared to use it, as long as its running a decent oil/well maintained it'll take near on everything you throw at it, ive done 32-33k in 18 months of hard driving and its not missed a heatbeat ( not one for tempting fate!)

plus when you come to shut the engine off you're best bet is to drive the last 2-3 mile of your journey gentle then the turbo will have cooled down,

damage is caused by shutting off the engine if the turbo is red hot/practically glowing since theres a constant flow of oil running on the bearings, if you shut the engine off when its red hot, this oil in the turbo can clog up and block oilways, a surefire way of killing your turbo in a short period,

as long as its warmed up and cooled down after you shouldnt have any problems :)

cupra-barn

It's all about stealth!
Aug 4, 2010
Worcester
ok cool...is it worth getting a oil temp gauge to monitor this or not really?

Thanks alot for your advice youve been very helpful and informative. :thumbup:

redkite

Apr 10, 2005
oxford
Just to say that mine is quiet on start up. it revs up to 1500 for a second or so then drops back to a 1000 ish for a few mins until warm.

DuBDuDe

Aug 8, 2010
Somewhere in London
HI Guys,

I'm new here. Bought my first Leon Cupra Sport after 11 years of Veedubbing over on clubgti.com. I'm still a vw man at heart tho ;) but i absolutely love my Leon. Best money i have spent in ages. I'm a bit of a turbo newbie so expect a few question from me.

I noticed this too. But put it down to the same. Dry hydrauic tappets and slightly overfuelled on startup which makes it a bit boggy for the first 5-10 secs then it sounds ok and has a normal steady tickover.

I don't like the lack of an oil temp gauge/lcd readout though. Or am i missing it? My 21 yr old Mk2 has one.....

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members