oh no MOT...

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
well... its that time of the year which most mk2 owners dread the thought of... is there any pre flight checks that i should do... ive never MOT'd my car before and dont know what to look out for... any guidence would be greatly appriecieated (or how ever you spell it :p )

old 'uns

Modern Life is Rubbish...
Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
check bulbs all work, wiper blades ok, spare tyre is ok or take out if not, check tyres for pressures & damage, seat belts hold on ratchet & retract.

& be prepared to argue the toss over the top mounts play

HoopDub

Aug 17, 2009
as above, check all bulbs, including number plate bulbs, indicators all flash orange. make sure the number plates are clear and not damages. tyres, tread depth and damage. seatbelts, for fraying and tares aswell as retract and engage. make sure the washer jets work, and they are filled up. wiper blades clear the screen effectivly. check disks and pads. wheel bearings for noise and roughness. suspension bushes, rear ale, front wishbones etc. rust holes etc etc

Sonic_GTi

check bulbs all work, wiper blades ok, spare tyre is ok or take out if not, check tyres for pressures & damage, seat belts hold on ratchet & retract.

& be prepared to argue the toss over the top mounts play

The spare tyre is not a tested item. At worst the tester can only put a advisory note saying something along the lines of "if spare was to be used on the road it would be illegal"

As for the top mounts all VT40's (the testers check list) now have suspension Vehicle Specific Information printed on it. Giving the tester info regarding tolerances of "normal" suspension movement.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
Reason for refusal of Test Certificate

001 Offside front tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm
002 Offside rear tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm
003 Exhaust emissions Lambda reading after 2nd fast idle outside specified limits
004 Exhaust emmisions carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle excessive
005 Steering column shaft has excessive end float

Advisory Items

006 Nearside rear tyre worn close to the legal limit

old 'uns

Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
1,2 & advisory easily fixed. tut, tut, should really have been checked way before MOT time
5 could be the UJ inside car or at steering box, not too much drama
3 & 4, been serviced recently? new filters, oil always help or maybe the lambda is shagged? clean out TB?

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
1,2 & advisory easily fixed. tut, tut, should really have been checked way before MOT time
5 could be the UJ inside car or at steering box, not too much drama
3 & 4, been serviced recently? new filters, oil always help or maybe the lambda is shagged? clean out TB?

well my front tyres are pretty much brand new so i didnt bother checking them,

i knew my back 1 was low, but not that low,

whats a UJ?

ive tightend up a couple of bolts at the bottom of the steering rack and it has seemed to of helped a bit

i serviced it about 2 weeks ago

my car didnt come with a CAT so thats why

old 'uns

Mar 20, 2003
walsall
Visit site
univeral joint, 'bendy' bit you've tightened
front tyres? pretty much brand new? MOT thinks otherwise or tracking is way out?
all of tread worn or inner/outer edges?

Ieuan-J

Jan 8, 2010
South Wales
univeral joint, 'bendy' bit you've tightened
front tyres? pretty much brand new? MOT thinks otherwise or tracking is way out?
all of tread worn or inner/outer edges?

yeah i did tighten a bendy bit :) definatly tracking being 5miles out because its bald on the inside and like a tractor tyre on the outside, also the cambers on my wheels are all over the shop...

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise