Flock and cage

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
Evening.

Done a fair bit of searching about and wondered if any of you guys have used a decent flocking service. I dont want one of the Frosts kits as i want it to be done by a pro.
intend on doing half my dash and some of the prices i've seen range massively.
so essesially where and how much have people paid.

And also anyone got any pics of a stripped out rear with a cage fitted?
I believe its going to become a daily and a track car :happy:

Dave_R

Save a Sheep...Buy Brembo
Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Look on my project thread (link in my sig). The bodyshop I went to knew a bloke that does flocking so they got him to do it. For a full dash board you looking at the £150ish mark. Mine had to be removed and given to the bloke.

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
I've dropped an email with a company only about 15miles away from me who are apparently very good with flocking scoobys (performance developments) so just going to wait for a quote back now.

Very interested in getting a cage now tho, well not so much a cage but more of a roll bar
a0dlbb.jpg

Similar to this but with a removable X-beam so passangers can still get in the back

techathy

^^ my name, my thought >>
Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
Remember that a caged car requires buckets, 4 point harnesses & you to wear a crash helmet to do you any good. Problem is if you're actually in an accident that cage will be much closer to your head & far more solid that most of the cars interior, just imagine being hit over the head a few times with a scaffold pole & I hope you get the idea.

Last edited:

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
This is the difficulty i have, it cannot be a all out track car buckets etc, but when it is take on a track i want the added protection of a cage (on track will obviously wear a helmet)

for regular day to day driving the rear seats may be required (rarely)

the roll bar will be covered in a thick foam which will make it softer if i was to crash and hit myself against it rather than the b-pillar

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Very interested in getting a cage now tho, well not so much a cage but more of a roll bar
a0dlbb.jpg

Similar to this but with a removable X-beam so passangers can still get in the back
I presume that's just for show ?
As the rear bars have joins in near the top, and appear to just clip together.

techathy

Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
Yeah that's a show cage and will probably do very little but cause injury in an accident.

I was discussing this issue with a friend today & basically if you cage the car forget about using it as a practical car. Sure it can be a daily driver but in a 3dr car you're going to end up losing your rear seats & have serious restrictions on the load carrying you can do in the back. Maybe you're simply better off getting a Leon or a 5dr FR?

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
Thats the issue im having, it'd cost well over 9k to get a standard car up to the spec im currently running, so say 15k after buying another car.

Im not prepared to swap everything over as then i'd be left with a bog standard car totally defeating what i want.

Really dont under stand what difference getting a 5dr FR would change?

intended on removing the seats and making a false floor up to keep everything neat.
but also leaving all the fixings so that with notice i can remove the X section of the roll bar and pop the seats back in so its practicle again

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
If you've got a cage of any sort in the back, I wouldn't consider carrying rear passengers - any side impact and they'll get badly injured against the bars that run down to the rear wheel arches.

Also if you're wanting a cage for added protection in case of rolls/collisions on track, a show cage will do nothing for you, you need a proper setup - I assume you know that though :)

techathy

Jul 9, 2009
Cambridge
If you've got a cage of any sort in the back, I wouldn't consider carrying rear passengers - any side impact and they'll get badly injured against the bars that run down to the rear wheel arches.
^^ yeah that

Basically if you want to carry people in the back THEY need 4 point harnesses & bucket seats as well. This is where the 5 door comes in as you can get into the back seats, after a fashion, & still have reasonable protection in an accident.

Last edited:

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
Remember that a caged car requires buckets, 4 point harnesses & you to wear a crash helmet to do you any good. Problem is if you're actually in an accident that cage will be much closer to your head & far more solid that most of the cars interior, just imagine being hit over the head a few times with a scaffold pole & I hope you get the idea.

That cage isn't even a roll cage, it's a show cage made from very light and weak aluminium!

stebbi

Got Boost???
Jun 10, 2008
Preston
IMG00142-20100328-1603.jpg

No need to worry about passengers in the back now.

Made up by Fusion fabrications in York - no-where make them for the mk4 i could find so he made this custom one up for me using only the finest steel lol

Dave_R

Sep 20, 2004
South Wales
In a crash that cross section wouldn't do a lot, the bolt would just snap probably..... also if you going to have a cage why have a half cage??? If you were unlucky enough to need the use of it the cage isn't protecting the driver one bit!

The idea of a roll cage is to build a cell around the driver and passenger! This is just protecting the rear half of the car..... where no one is sitting????

How's it fitted to the car? Bolted straight through the floor or do you have stengthing plates welded to the floor and then bolted?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.