Ever Ran out of Petrol? i did yesterday,

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
just a bit of a heads up really, ive always cut it slim when i get to the magic "0" miles in tank,

but yesterday it got the better of me, :p 90 yards from a petrol station, which really takes the biscuit!

so officially, after "0" lc's and LCR's wont push any more than 15 miles,

i think the biggest kick in the knackers was 9 quid for a jerry can!

wont be doing that again, so after you see 0 dont push it anymore than 10 miles ;)

hoggy90

Full time sexaholic
Nov 14, 2009
Scotland
hmmm i wouldnt even do that buddy....soon as the light comes on id fill up, your sucking up all the crap from the bottom of the tank haha.....although i found it amusing that you were 90 yards from a fill up station :p

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
hmmm i wouldnt even do that buddy....soon as the light comes on id fill up, your sucking up all the crap from the bottom of the tank haha.....although i found it amusing that you were 90 yards from a fill up station :p

ive never cut it as slim as i did yesterday, and its obviously not a happy bunny, new fuel filter and bit of a cleaner i think is in order,

i was more pissed at the fact i paid 9 quid for a can!:cry:

brad1

I've ran out 3 times now lol, two of the times I've actually ran out and managed to roll to the petrol station haha, the other time I've needed the aid of a jerry can lol

CupraTurbo81

I ran out once on my approach to broxden roundabout on the A9, managed to keep momentum up and got it round the roundabout off down to another roundabout (had to go round it the wrong way), up a hill then into the services right up to the pump. Was in middle of the night so all worked out well. The pressure of thinking you not going to make it not a good feeling by any means.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
I did last year wife and kids in the car, car came to a halt.
Wife got out with son and started to push (i can't due to bad health and also wife doesn't drive) then two guys came and helped them and pushed us to the forecourt, was 100 yards at the most, top guys :D

Pyro

i rtan out in my pug about 20 time :( the needel would sit at 1/2 tank for ages or 1/4 and then just drop like a bag of led :-o if i didnt keep my eye on it then all of a sudon i was stood roadside :(

andycupra

status subject to change
ok a few things id like to say:

yes ive run out of petrol (however due to a non functioning fuel needle and it was sort of deliberate as i wanted to know what i got out of a tank. - i also had a petrol can in the boot:) )

However i didnt feel like pointing out id been silly on a forum.. but dont let that stop you in future as its usually good for a laugh.

Its not something you want to happen, not just for hassle reasons but its potentially dangerous, loss of power steering, location of loss of power etc etc..

Also, how far you can get after zero shows on the computer can vary massively as this prediction is based on recent driving, so if you have been booting it, then see its on zero and then drive carefully its quite easy to get a range prediction that was 0 going back up to 10, or 15..

Driving round corners fast i think in particular to the right can aggrivate the issue..

and finally, i generally dont think its good to run so low, - no not due to age old advice refering to crap in the tank which is not so much an issue these days, besides stating you suck in crap from bottom tank is wrong as you always draw petrol from the bottom of the tank! - if there is a potential issue then running low means you could suck in debris on the surface of the petrol possibly, but then if its light enough to float its not going to be that bad and there is a fuel filter in any case.

It can end up costing you money as if you do find yourself running low you can end up spending out more for a few reasons:
1 - you may have to specifically divert to a garage knowing you are low on fuel, - making your journey longer as it was not on your original route. Much better to fill up when passing a garage when you are towards the end of the tank, but not running on fumes :)
2 - you may find you are in an area where fuel is more expensive. - maybe paying out for BP ultimate rather than tescos for example..
3 - clearly if you do run low then you may have to buy a container, and hey you may even find work dock you pay :)

Last edited:

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
I have this arguement with some of my friends, that's the reason we have a fuel filter is it not? I don't like taking it down that low but i have run out once (thanks Binksy for saving me lol).

There is also the arguement that you're actually getting the rubbish OUT of the tank by running low?

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
I ran out of petrol twice in my old Mk3, the first of the two occasions I was travelling at around 70mph on the Dearne Valley Parkway, which was an experience if I'm being honest! just a good job I wasn't bearing down on a roundabout or things may have been very different lol however I managed to use the handbrake to pull me up into a layby and waited for my old man to come out with a few litres of petrol before filling up again at the nearest watering hole, the problem was down to the gauge misreading though and not just that I hadn't realised it was empty.

only ever ran out of fuel once and that was in my mk2 golf gti 16v.
turned out i had a faulty gauge and wouldn't go below an 1/8 of a tank

think the lowset i've ever ran my LCR was down to 5miles, normally i fill up at the nearest tesco with super when the light comes on

Steely

semiskimmed cupra R
Dec 30, 2008
Doncaster
only ever ran out of fuel once and that was in my mk2 golf gti 16v.
turned out i had a faulty gauge and wouldn't go below an 1/8 of a tank

think the lowset i've ever ran my LCR was down to 5miles, normally i fill up at the nearest tesco with super when the light comes on

thats the strange thing my lc will throw the red light at 25 miles remaining, 5 miles later its on 0, 10-15 after that its empty, so it over reads by 10 miles in my opinion,

i know i shouldnt take it as gospel :lol:

George 3G

KW & Weitec
Jul 28, 2009
Herefordshire
I had the car coughing and spluttering as I pulled into the petrol station the other day, literally had to coast in... was very lucky. Annoying I didn't clock how many miles I managed after the range displayed 0, but I did manage to get 443.2 miles to a full tank :eek:

Feb 28, 2010
Southampton
Never run out in a modern car - light comes on and I take it as a hint to fill up ;)

Ran outa fuel in my 68 modded bug, the fuel gauge didnt work and I thought I had tanked up when I hadnt actually........ woops - going a bit sharpish around a round about and then suddenly no power! back end started to slide but had no throttle to correct :( was a novelty rolling backwards off the junction and down a side road! Whoopsy!

andycupra

status subject to change
thats the strange thing my lc will throw the red light at 25 miles remaining, 5 miles later its on 0, 10-15 after that its empty, so it over reads by 10 miles in my opinion,

i know i shouldnt take it as gospel :lol:

the range feature calculates the range based on your current or most recent driving.
So if you are on a B road doing 50 and getting good mpg it may say 25 mile to go.
If you then get in traffic, boot it, drive round car parks etc then the mpg you are then achieving will be poor, and so the range will then reduce accordingly due to the poor mpg you are getting.
It is entirely possible to increase the range if you do it the other way round.

The warning light is also based on quantity of fuel left rather than range.
Now i could say that its ok to drive for up to 30 miles after the light comes on, - but i might be doing 50-60mph and being sensible..
Someone else may say you only have 15 miles after the light comes on as they thrash the car and drive like a loon.

IMO there is up to 30 miles of careful driving left, so for most on here id say you dont want to be doing more than 20miles after the light comes on, and for reasons ive alredy said if you drive past a good petrol station and the light had recently come on or you are not fafr off the light coming on, just fit it up!

Last edited:
IMO there is up to 30 miles of careful driving left, so for most on here id say you dont want to be doing more than 20miles after the light comes on, and for reasons ive alredy said if you drive past a good petrol station and the light had recently come on or you are not far off the light coming on, just fill it up!

i second that :thumbup:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members