driving style for maximum power?

Jun 21, 2010
Stockton on Tees
Right fellas, my driving style would be best suited to the likes of a type r, bang it near the limiter in every gear, car screaming and me with a rather large smile on my face :lol:.....however im starting to learn that the cupra doesnt like this. Im aware that with a turbo after a certain rpm the power starts to curve off, im just wondering how all you fellas drive your cupras to fully utilise all of the power. I dont bang the pedal into the floor as i find that the car sort of gets confused, then kicks off, i feed it the power smoothly and find that the car feels alot faster. When are you fellas changing up, iv read that peak power is generally around 5500 rpm, is this when i should be shifting???? cheers :D

Jun 16, 2008
good question
i would also like to know what revs people shift up etc

but most of us have our cars mapped differently, so peak torque will differ from person to person. :-s

Last edited:

andycupra

status subject to change
many people due seem to find that applying throttle progressively rather than slamming it to the floor gives good results. How true this is a dont know.

But i do feel that you dont need to redline the 1.8T to get the best from it. Id say there is little need to go over 5,000 and no real need to go over 5,500.

Last edited:

Phoenix27

RIP Project Blueshift
Jan 17, 2010
Great Yarmouth, Norfolk
I wouldn't say i'm a progressive throttler in any gear but 1st. By that time i'm usually on a sprint and change gear about 5,500rpm. I didn't realise this was the average 'peak power', i just kinda 'felt' it after a bit of trial and error.

Try and feel when the car doesn't pull as hard as it used to. :)

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
It depends on your map but 5500 sounds about right. The " power band" is usually about 3000 or 4000 revs wide. On my car the power band sits higher due to a different turbo... 3700rpm to around 7000rpm.

If you look at a dyno plot you can see when the turbo starts giving less and then its time to change up.

hara

Sep 26, 2009
continent
I wouldn't say i'm a progressive throttler in any gear but 1st. By that time i'm usually on a sprint and change gear about 5,500rpm. I didn't realise this was the average 'peak power', i just kinda 'felt' it after a bit of trial and error.

Try and feel when the car doesn't pull as hard as it used to. :)

that would be correct - the torque drops from 5500 revs

this is a simplified dyno chart of the 225HP BAM code engine:

wykres_40.592.jpg

After the turbo spools up @2200 you already have maximum torque (2200-5500 rpm), and max power is at 5900 rpm. It's not a jap so you don't need to redline ;)

Of course remaps and mods would change the shape and scale of the chart. Depends what you want - my remap is very 'light' - just some extra torque, especially low-end.

J@mes W

Stage 1 Revo'd LCR
Jun 28, 2009
Colchester
I generally find my self shifting at around 5 - 5.5K on my stage 1 LCR, if i just driving swiftly 3 - 4k is pretty damn fast. Certainly fast enough to leave most normal cars for dust. It's the torque which gives you the acceleration, if you're shifting at 5K(ish) you're straight back into the peak torque zone for the next gears. As a contrast the type R has no torque so its relies on the power more... as you know this is near the limiter!

I don't really trash my car around though, there is no need to, you can make very good progress by using the mid range torque. Every now and then i'll stretch a few gears and it always surprise me.

The good thing with a powerful turbo cars is the "usable power", i can drive quickly and have fun doing driving at 6/10th in my LCR, where as in a civic type R they're only fun when you're driving at 10/10th.

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
I think depending on different maps etc will depend how far you can take it.
Mine has a stage 3 map and support mods and still pulls way past 5500 rpm but i change at the red even though its still pulling. I do have a different turbo too.

Here is a great little saying... BHP turns heads, torque turns wheels ;o)

Jun 16, 2008
lol, so whats before 4500? a supercharger :p

i find that if i apply 3/4 throttle the whole sound of the turbo changes, as if its preparing to fcukin take off or something..

Pyro

Befor that is just the cogs mate :p you'll still here the turbo as It's spoiling up to kick in

Jun 16, 2008
thank the lord for turbos!

dude, what the MAIN difference between stage 1 revo and stage 2?
how much more bhp?
more boost?
or isit simply that the boost holds for longer...

Pyro

Well I ha LC not LCR so power is 220-240 I think on LCR it about 280-290 boost higher and with requirered mods pulls harder ect well the worth the dolla ;)

Jun 21, 2010
Stockton on Tees
quality feedback fellas, i think im gonna stick to the 5 to 6 grand mark when changing up, iv also found that the traction cont plays havoc with the car when booting it so thats gonna be switched off from now on, i can see it causing more problems than it does good, its far too aggressive! Another quick question, would mapping my 180 at 104k worry any of you boys, to try and ready it i have changed the cambelt and all things associated, uprated to a metal water pump, urgraded to a forge 007, replaced the clutch with a tt quattro item along with new cylinders and it get the bleed valve replaced tuesday, with all of this brand new and the engine seeming to be nice and strong, do you think i will get any problems? i really want it mapped but i dont wanna feck it :D

Pyro

mines on 120,000 with stage two map i get a bit of smoke but its turbo seals :( id say you should be ok mate

Jun 21, 2010
Stockton on Tees
iv bin doing alot of research and im thinking first of all fit a scorpion cat back, toyosport fmic, new k03s and renew all of the hoses with silicone jobbies before getting the map done, then surely there cant be any problems as most things will be brand new/uprated, and with the exhaust/fmic and the current intake and 007 i should be able to go for stage 2 map???? am i right or do i need more parts for stage 2? also any idea of what sort of power mine should push out with all of these mods, i was thinking around the 250 bhp mark with a shed load of torque?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise