Clio VAG 1.8t gearbox oil change

EZ Tutty

Nov 21, 2006
Derby
www.eztutty.co.uk
wouldn't of thought you'd loose that much oil from the input shaft seal (which can be replaced very easily with the box off btw) The oil level in the box doesn't actually sit much above the level of the input shaft seal :shrug:

Lets just hope the casing isn't damaged!

Floodie

Hmm i see your point tutty... if the casing is damaged then i know someone with another o2j if worse comes to the worse.. Probably worth giving it a full inspection once off.. Would the causes become obvious once its off the car? (I realise a hole pretty damn obvious! :) but other than that?)

the clutch is only a few hundred miles old - its unlikely that would be effected too would it? thanks

EZ Tutty

Nov 21, 2006
Derby
www.eztutty.co.uk
You should be able to work out where the oil is coming from fairly easily, the clutch should be ok... i had a hole in my gearbox casing recently which dumped oil all over the clutch, i cleaned it down with some solvent cleaner (or brake cleaner) and altho it slipped for the first 100ish miles it's been fine ever since, i've also been told washing up liquid and water mixed is good for cleaning oil from clutches.

Unfortunately there is a couple of common faults with the Diff on O2J box's that often cause punctured casings, first is the final drive gear rivets failing (these can be replaced with ARP bolts), and the other is the roll pin which holds the Cross Shaft which the spider gears run on in place shears, causing the cross shaft to be able to move... puncturing the box... (spider gears and cross shafts can also fail, but not that common on the variant of the o2j fitted to most 1.8T engines, which have better quality diff gears and a thicker cross shaft).

Best thing is to get the box off and investigate.

Floodie

Great - thank Tutty- think ill get hold of some ARP bolts, and what about the roll pin?... any upgrade/stronger versions of this?

yep, think the box is coming off - hopefully i can properly drive the thing someday soon!! argh

EZ Tutty

Nov 21, 2006
Derby
www.eztutty.co.uk
The roll pin shears becuase of friction on the shaft, so the best thing to do is polish up the cross shaft.

You can also double pin it (using a smaller pin inside the 5mm pin) for extra strength.

Something i did also was drill a 5mm hole (approx 5mm deep) using the original hole as a guide, as this gives the roll pin 2 'shear load points' rather than 1... but this is kinda hard to explain without pictures.

Floodie

Ah thanks Tutty - much appreciated..

Any idea where i can get these ARP bolts from? had a quick search and could only find links to ARP head bolts

Floodie

Cheers Dan - Cheers Tutty. Jesus they are pricey arent they... hmmm...

My mates got another o2j which he is going to fit soon soon which is good.

When this new o2j is on im going to work on the currently busted one and spend time to slowly get it refurbed to make it as tough as poss. i.e: get some of those ARP bolts, and then consider that thing ive heard more and more about, now bear with me here! sounds like demolition man stuff but im sure its something like "Cryogenically hardening" the gear set, or something... a place in Cambridge does it... combine that with what you said above and double pinning it it should be as good as it can get i hope!... then will be all ready for a possible BT conversion in a year'ish..

techie

Skoda Techie
Mar 22, 2003
Worcs
Sorry to say looking at that id bet as mentioned there is a hole in the back where the diff is trying to exit, pretty common fault.

Floodie

ah that would be a shame... So in other words the box isnt exactly salvagable?

EZ Tutty

Nov 21, 2006
Derby
www.eztutty.co.uk
Depends how bad the damage is.
Heres the my repair when the cross shaft tried to exit my box...

(click for bigger image)

Can't seem to find a picture of the damage before repairing tho...

Last edited:

Floodie

Thanks tutty - not a bad repair that!... Does it seem like my casing has been blown then from the symptoms?..

Is it possible to visually see any holes from jacking the car up? Just so i can help my mate to prepare for a fix before i get the car to his...Ive had a look from the front and all the underneath and couldnt see any holes apart from the oil streaming somehow through what looks like a nice a snug tight fit between the box and engine... as you can probably tell, i know a small bit about cars but certainly nothing like my mate who put the engine in!.. learning as i go really :).. Cheers

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.