Getting the cupra off the line!

Millsycupra1

Jul 8, 2010
Cheshire
whenever i pull up to red lights i can garentee that some chav in a 1.2 corsa will pull up beside me, i can not get the cupra off the line fast, in a manual u can build up the revs and ditch the clutch, which helps on 0-60 times, the cupra/boc is so slow of the mark, any1 know a way of gettin good acceleration fro standstill?

Millsycupra1

Jul 8, 2010
Cheshire
slightly not true, got a revo, 0-60 is deffo not less than 5.5. gettin called a girl by a tdi owner ouch! have u got a tow bar and a plow for it?

mainaman

Feb 19, 2010
London
whenever i pull up to red lights i can garentee that some chav in a 1.2 corsa will pull up beside me, i can not get the cupra off the line fast, in a manual u can build up the revs and ditch the clutch, which helps on 0-60 times, the cupra/boc is so slow of the mark, any1 know a way of gettin good acceleration fro standstill?

That's not true,the Cupra launches to 60 mph in less than 7 seconds,which ain't half bad for a mini.Well,there is not too minimal torquesteer and sometimes some wheelspin,but it is fun.

In fact the DSG make it easier to get off the line than manual as when you bury the throttle and keep it that way the engine revs to the red in every gear even in D!

Sep 29, 2009
norwich
I think you just think its slow of the mark because it has a much smoother gearbox and engine and with all auto gearbox you have that split second when nothing seems to happen and bang its off.
Been using my daughters golf tdi 170 gt dsg, diden't't seem as fast as my car but when my son-inlaw took me out in it, put it in sports mode turned off traction controll, a much different car and seemed a lot faster of the mark.

WJs

MeepMeep
Oct 26, 2006
Netherlands
Problem is before you get rolling. If you are standing next to a fast car, that split second that the DSG needs to start accelerating is a killer.
These 0-60 times are nice, but im pretty sure those started counting when you start driving. not when given 'the green light'.

lucifer666

Dec 17, 2006
Cardiff
yeah, all i can say is how i did it:

T/C OFF
S mode
Change gears manually using paddles at 6000rpm*
Had the back seats out and spare wheel - thats like 70kg

*Reason for this is because peak power comes at 5,700rpm and drops equally either side (+/-) of that. Changing gear drops revs by 1000rpm, so you have the peak power in the middle so your always at max power. I change at 6000rpm instead of 6,200rpm, which would make the peak dead in the middle of 2 gear rpms, because by the time the dsg changes your at 6,200 anyway.

Just give it a try, needs a bit of skill in the low down gears because the revs increase so fast to hit the 6000rpm.

Although, the fastest 1/4 mile on here (with additional mods other than remap) was done with t/c on and in +/-, letting the car change on its own.

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag
slightly not true, got a revo, 0-60 is deffo not less than 5.5. gettin called a girl by a tdi owner ouch! have u got a tow bar and a plow for it?

Man up! It's easily done. Sport mode, ESP on and hoof it! You can't blame the delay ether as the same traffic light system is used on the quarter.

Maybe all the corsa's are red tops.

Anyway did no one tell you the traffic light GP isn't cool anymore. Get to pod or the racetrack where you'll actually get respect not dissaproving looks or points.

Last edited:

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
1/4 mile starts are an art.. traffic light racing is not big nor clever , just remember that kiddies as it will get threads kicked into the bin and worse, you can do lots of damage to others and even your licence out on the roads ;)

bullet_tooth

try turning the ESP off and banging the car into manual mode, this should help a little, I found that with the esp on you have a slight delay when you punch the pedal.....

chuckb

Mo bark n' Mo grunt
Apr 4, 2010
Sunny Slough
Dont bother let the spikey haired, Lynx smelling, Mckenzie wearing oik, scorch his tyres and kill his rattling, valves bouncing, oil burning, stereo booming heap of arse rag off in the distance. You just drive off normally shaking your head in disgust. Self abuser hand wave is optional at this point.

Corsa............. why bother coke can on wheels with drum brakes of powaaah and a girlfriend called Shaznay with a septic belly button piercing optional.

bullet_tooth

Dont bother let the spikey haired, Lynx smelling, Mckenzie wearing oik, scorch his tyres and kill his rattling, valves bouncing, oil burning, stereo booming heap of arse rag off in the distance. You just drive off normally shaking your head in disgust. Self abuser hand wave is optional at this point.

Corsa............. why bother coke can on wheels with drum brakes of powaaah and a girlfriend called Shaznay with a septic belly button piercing optional.

So true

mardon

Feel the DIFFerence
Sep 22, 2008
A bean bag

Epic! Comments like this make me wish this site has a rep+ button hahah :lol:

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.