ABS & Power Steering Light

mcculloch

SEAT LEON ST FR 2.0TDI
Mar 25, 2008
Kilmarnock Scotland
hey just changed my front tyres to 205/40/17 from 225/45/17, the rears are still 225/45/17 basically once i hit 60mph my car beeps and shows handbrake/abs/ lights on dash and clears when you restart car. Could this be due to the front pointing down? I will be getting same tyres for back next week just wondered

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
Probably because the front wheels are now rotating faster than the rears, confusing the ecu?
I`m no expert on this subject though!

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
Basically I think it's what Neo said!
The ABS sensors will be thinking the back wheels have locked up because they are spinning slower than the fronts. (If that makes sense? or is it the fronts spinning slower than the rears? :confused:)

mcculloch

SEAT LEON ST FR 2.0TDI
Mar 25, 2008
Kilmarnock Scotland
Cool just got a fright when it started flashing and beeping lol hopefully get it sorted in next week if i can source cheap part worns with good tread for rears. Anybody with 205/40/17 had any bother with potholes? blowouts? new to them so wanna be careful lol

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I had that exact size on a golf a few years back, all I would say is watch your tyre pressures - when they go down even a little bit the shorter sidewall takes more stress and it leads to cracking so keep an eye on the pressures. ;)

I used to run 32psi front and 30psi rear (it was a 1.4), gave good balance of surface contact and weight/feel.

Oh, and Cal, a smaller rolling radius has to rotate more times to cover the same distance so the fronts will be turning faster.

Last edited:

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Cool just got a fright when it started flashing and beeping lol hopefully get it sorted in next week if i can source cheap part worns with good tread for rears. Anybody with 205/40/17 had any bother with potholes? blowouts? new to them so wanna be careful lol

I burst one going over a pothole. Inner rim of the alloy nicked the tyre wall and burst it :(

New tyre needed!

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
I burst one going over a pothole. Inner rim of the alloy nicked the tyre wall and burst it :(

New tyre needed!

Did`nt buckle your lovely FR 17"? They are rare as rocking horse ****!

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Did`nt buckle your lovely FR 17"? They are rare as rocking horse ****!

Luckily I never.. Otherwise the council would have had a nice bill for a new set! haha.

I just replaced the tyre myself, I couldnt be bother with all the claim hassle and my dads pal owns a tyre place anyway :shrug:

mick-fr

Mégane F1 R26..
Dec 1, 2009
At a Shell garage..
Oh, and trust this to be the first time I got a puncture and find out that there wasnt a jac supplied with the car!

As you can probably imagine, I wasnt too happy with Arnold Shark.

VWscooby

Apr 20, 2008
Durham
I would guess it was because of your wheels. I was running 225/40s on the rear and 215/35s on the front, anything over 60mph and on came the lights.

Changed the rear tyres last weekend and no more problem :D

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.