Laying up the MK2

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I am taking the MK2 off the road for 6 months, It'll be kept in a garage and i will be working on it wery slowly but not driving it.

Any special precautions that need to be taken when leaving it for this long? I will be disconnecting the batter and leaving the car unlocked, but thats it so far.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
Find some petrol stabiliser, halfords or similar will sell it. Don't leave the handbrake on. If your doing lots of work on it then I reccomend spraying anything your going to think about undoing with wd40 as soon as you lay it up.

ather`s

EXEO Sport & mk2 IBIZA
Sep 7, 2008
mansfield, notts
having had mine stood for a long time, might be advisable to empty washer bottle aswell as mine went stagnent and mouldy. then it blocks up.

out of interest, what you doing to it mate?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
personaly i'd drain all fluids if i was leaving it for a long time

depends how long its being left

I wouldn't!

Wouldn't worry about it, stick some oil in if it needs it. Keep it dry, and put a fan in the garage to circulate the air initially.

WD40 stuff, but no need to go overboard.

I lay my mazda up for a year, did nothing to it apart from starting it periodically. Job's a goodun.

jamesvb

Remove the battery and charge it until it goes into float charge.
Do this about once a month.

M1KEH

M1KE
Oct 27, 2007
The Middle
If your going to run it, make sure you run it enough so that the exhaust gets hot all the way through, otherwise you can end up building up lots of condensation inside it meaning it will rot from the inside out.

vngtx

grease brake pipes up? just to try and protect them from rusting. maybe get a car cover for it?

HoopDub

Aug 17, 2009
if you go to a caravan and camping store you can buy things called 'moisture traps' they are awesome!!!!

BrownCupra

Nov 13, 2008
Get a dehumidifier (awful spelling) or one of those car tent things that the clasic boys use