Overrun shudder

NiSk

Nov 2, 2005
Guess I posted this in the wrong forum earlier (Toledo 1 & 2)
Since it appears to be a soley diesel problem:

We now have 3 mk 1 Toledos in the family - my old 1997 90 hp TDi, the newly purchased 1998 110 hp TDI sport and most recently another 1998 110 hp TDI for our daughter. Having 3 of the same type allows one to make comparisons and one of these is that both my original TDi and the TDI sport have an annoying "judder" from the engine/drivetrain when coasting (clutch depressed or out of gear and coasting). The lastest TDI (our daughters) does not! So the question is - is it engine mountings, inner driveshaft joints or something else. It is not noticable when the cars are in gear and on overrun, but depress the clutch or slip it out of gear and an unregular shudder can be felt through the car. The other thing I can see by comparing all 3 cars is that the TDi is far more flexible at low speed in higher gears, corners that I can take in 3rd gear in the TDi have both the TDI's bucking and complaining and I have to shift down to 2nd. The TDi will quite happily pull away at idle and I can then (carefully) shift up through the gears, still at idle (if the road is flat) to 4th. Try that in the TDI's and they either stall or buck like crazy.

Any comments?

//NiSk

NiSk

Nov 2, 2005
The two TDI's (110 hp) are what I was referring to at the end of the post, as apposed to the first car, which was a Tdi (90 hp).