looking for an FR

M6TT F

Dec 27, 2009
FInally got around to looking at swapping my car - looking at both diesel and petrol, but given i only do 10K miles a year i'm leaning towards the petrol. There seems to be quite a few around with the DSG box at the moment. Reading the posts on here, there's been a few people who have had expensive problems though. How common is it? Obviously I realise that on a forum you only get a biased view, and it's a small proportion of the actual cars that are on the road. Would you avoid or not? for my budget i'll be looking around 07 plate, so out of manufacturers warranty - is it easy to spot one with trouble?

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
You need to drive one to compare. I have a DSG FR and the gearbox has been a revelation. I had the old LCR and whilst DSG was the sole reason I didn't get a Cupra I was a bit unsure about the move to automatic. I just told myself I'd be using the paddles all the time!

The reality now is that I use the paddles only on those days where you can ring its neck. The rest of the time (in traffic etc) it's fantastic to not have to use the clutch. You just have to learn to plant your left foot on the rest and leave it there - first day I got it I've never braked so hard in my life as it automatically went for the clutch, my head nearly went through the windscreen...:blink:

The problem is that out of warranty you'd be looking at expensive repairs if it goes wrong. This is despite the fact that the actual gearbox very rarely has any issues at all, it's all in the mecatronics unit. The current fix is to just replace the mechatronics unit and the old one goes back to VW etc. for investigation, hence the expense. £1k+ currently. I've had one replaced under warranty, which was the first one my dealer had done so I don't think it's that common (you don't get posts saying my DSG is working fine, do you?).

I'm taking my car out of warranty (as I don't see the point in going sideways for a new hot hatch) and DSG does worry me. However, I know the history as I've had it from new and know what to look for when it starts playing up. It's a difficult choice but whether you regret it is dictated by how much you wanted it in the first place combined with the luck that comes with any car purchase. DSG is just one extra thing that could go wrong.

My pre-FL FR TFSI DSG went funny outside of warranty - the dealer I took it to claimed there wasn't a problem so I was very happy to part-ex it with them for a (manual) Ecomotive. :)

I loved the DSG when it was behaving itself, though. It really is a revelation as rllmuk says. The S mode especially is a hoot as it not only changes down sooner and keeps in lower gears for longer, but it actually makes the accelerator pedal more sensitive... a *lot* of fun to blast past tractors etc! :funk:
I agree with rllmuk about the accidental braking thing when you first pick it up. In fact, my FR's supplier actually advised me to keep my left foot pulled back against the front of the seat for the first few journeys after I admitted it was the first auto car I'd bought... :rolleyes:

However, given my personal experience of a DSG gearbox starting to misbehave, I would only ever have another one if it was 100% covered by warranty - either from SEAT themselves or a third party. It's just too expensive a failure to contemplate having to foot the bill for yourself.
In the US, where consumers are aware of phrases such as 'class action' and 'lemon law', VW have extended the warranty on their new DSG boxes to 10 years... but until that happens here, you need to look towards extended/third-party warranties to give you any piece of mind. :(

First thing to do it take a test drive to see whether you're even interested in the different style of driving that DSGs give.

Then, once you decide you want one, read this to find out why you will need to get an extended or third party warranty:

http://www.dsgproblems.co.uk/

deebow

Oct 2, 2009
if its just the mechtronic unit that goes faulty which from my reading is the most common problem on dsg boxes accross the vag range then theres a company thats recommend on the a3 forums that strip and rebuild it with better quality parts and also offer a 2 year warranty on the repair all for around £300-400.

below is a link to their site
http://www.ecutesting.com/vw_and_audi_dsg_gearbox_ecu.html

M6TT F

Dec 27, 2009
useful to know - great stuff. Going to see a car at Gilders at the weekend for a drive... will find another one to look at for comparison too.

flyeon

I just bought on 07 FR DSG from a dealer. 1 year Seat used car warranty + 1 year extended dealers warranty.
Just in case....

DSG is great in day to day driving.

flyeon

My pre-FL FR TFSI DSG went funny outside of warranty - the dealer I took it to claimed there wasn't a problem so I was very happy to part-ex it with them for a (manual) Ecomotive. :)

What was your DSG box doing that warned you it was on it's way out?

It would be jerky moving off from stopped, a bit like it was a learner who hadn't learned any clutch control. It started doing it very subtly and only when the gearbox was very hot, e.g. after an hour or so in stop-start traffic. It seemed to be getting gradually worse so it would be jerky even after a bit of a traffic jam. When I asked for it to be investigated at a main dealer, head mechanic chap took it out for a decent drive and claimed it was behaving perfectly for a DSG and "I was probably just used to driving normal automatics, which drive differently". :shrug:
After doing some reading around on this forum and elsewhere, I decided it was best to get rid in case it kept getting worse... just kinda lost confidence in it I suppose. :(
It was a shame as I really liked the DSG when it was behaving itself. But jerking and lurching in heavy traffic quickly got very boring - it was frankly embarrassing. It was a big relief to regain control over my clutch when I got my new manual Leon!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members