Difference between FR and non FR Ibiza

abzx

Hi guys.

Thanks for helping me out on a topic last week on my flat spotted rear tyres that caused the drone. All sorted.

Now, on my FR 2006 plate. Could you help me on telling me what the differences are between FR and non FR as 130BHP PD TDi Ibiza models. Mainly required for the info on the ride.

FR - 16inch wheels
Non FR - 15 inch wheels

FR - 205 45 16 tyres
Non FR - ? ? 15 tyres

FR - Rear suspension ? springs different?
Non FR - Rear suspension ? springs?

FR - Front suspension ? Anti Roll Bar size and springs?
Non FR - Front suspension ? Anti roll bar size and springs?

Any other points that differ the FR to make it firmer on the road?

Thanks in advance [B)]

Blanco92

www.racedriversinc.com
Apr 11, 2010
Bournemouth/Cheshire
"sport" model Ibizas (non-FR) also came with 16" wheels, the rest came with 15s. Pre-facelift FRs got 16s, some facelift FRs got 17s.

I imagine FRs got stiffer springs. Not certain though!

The rest is just cosmetic differences.

shazo

Nov 26, 2009
different suspensions, bushes, FR has 17" alloys, few cosmetics

do a search i think its been asked a few times

Dec 3, 2009
sport has a 6 cluster dash including volt meter and oil temp gauge

FR chrome rear lights

sport has softer suspension

alloys

FR styling all around

different grills

Anthracite or something interior inserts

Modelmakerman

Mk4 Ibiza FR TDi
Apr 24, 2010
Bristol, UK
www.modelmakerman.com
Only for the first year or so - then the sport ended up with the 4 cluster dash. I think the change was around mid 2003.

Ah the Seat parts lottery, they probably ran out of the 6 cluster in 2003! lol

Id love to have a 6 cluster on my FR, I think its weird we didnt get oil temp/pressure on a Formula Racing spec car!? Ive always thought the cluster looks a little empty with the blank bits either side.

Although I wouldnt want the immobiliser problems and the £400 price tag of the 6 cluster tbh! :blink:

jake_h

Aug 24, 2010
I saved £350 a year on my insurance getting a sport instead of the fr and really the only differences on mine and that is a couple of badges and different wheels........but with the money iv saved from the insurance mine now looks miles better than either!! :)

abzx

Some interesting info.

My FR has 16inch alloys. Ride is quite firm on the 205 45 16 tyres. Ideally looking at making it softer as I do more long distance motorway that fun driving at present.

ie a different set of wheels (15 inch) and tyres for now?

Or if it is stiffer springs on the FR compared to the non FR 130BHP TDi. I don't mind getting the springs changed to the softer ones for now.

abzx

Some more searching on the web has highlighted that the FR got stiffer springs. With the non FR 130 BHP still have the 205 45 16 inch.

So it looks like I need to get some springs from the 130 TDi (non FR) model.

First of all I need to sit in a non FR 130BHP and see how it feels on the motorway.[B)]

Dec 3, 2009
insurance charged me more to insure an '03 sport over a '56 FR... both the same PD130, they said it's because more sport have been involved in accidents

a more expensive option would be upgrade to full suspension or coilover kit? Most handle better & ride softer than standard, otherwise go with the springs, 130 TDi Sport is definately noticeably softer though if you do go with springs

as well as this bigger tyres will act as more of a cushion!

so you're going the right way :)

abzx

Interesting (good news) that coil overs are that little bit softer from FR setup. I can't imagine anyone wanting it harder than FR for road use.
I am now more interested in changing springs to non FR (if they are softer) and keep the wheels/tyres as they are. As I have been told the non FR is 205 45 16inch (same as my FR) anyway.

Here are the Eurocarparts results for my FR (2006 year with 16inch wheels)
also shows the same part no for
Ibiza (2002-2008) TDI 100 and Ibiza (2002-2008) TDI 130

Coil Spring (Front)
part# 627790280
Seat Ibiza 1.9 (2006)
£36.37

Coil Spring (Rear)
part# 627790450
Seat Ibiza 1.9 (2006)
£32.31

Can anyone help here? Maybe SEAT dealer will show different part nos for FR and non FR ?

Looks like Eurocarparts are listing the non FR springs for all. So these ECP part nos are the ones to get?

Last edited by a moderator:

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
ie a different set of wheels (15 inch) and tyres for now?

Or if it is stiffer springs on the FR compared to the non FR 130BHP TDi. I don't mind getting the springs changed to the softer ones for now.

I don`t think 15`s will fit over the brakes mate.

Also the "sport" springs are`nt much softer than the FR`s in my opinion, mine is still very choppy even on carriageways!

abzx

Hi Neo :)
Now decided I am going to stick with the 16inch wheels and tyres.

Re the spring comparision. Found this

Seat has also stiffened the spring rates (up 25 per cent at the front, 10 per cent at the rear compared to the Sport’s) and installed a thicker anti-roll bar

abzx

Just spoke to SEAT dealer. He got me to check my springs for the paint colours on there.

My front springs have 3 red and 2 green paint marks.

Anyone on here with a non FR 130BHP Ibiza able to tell me what colour paint is on their springs if you running standard when looking through the wheel arch.

:)

Last edited by a moderator:

abzx

Got a friend with ETOS to check things out.

My FR

Rear spring - 1 white, 1 orange, 3 yellow
Front Spring - 3 red, 2 green

Non FR (still 130BHP 6 speed)

Rear spring - 1 orange, 1 yellow, 2 white
Front spring - 2 silver, 2 green

I am being advised by a few to go to eibach lowered springs that should be softer than my FR setup? I am really mixed with my thoughts. As those people are saying that if I go to non FR SEAT springs and shocks, that the ride height will go up by around 15mm as the FR is lowered compared to non FR. The bloody thing looks too high as it is! LOL

Is Eibach springs that will lower be the way to go or will the ride go too hard?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.