Pretty much disable EGR using VAG com - Ibiza cupra PD engine - Now getting 60mpg

jscottuk

I've read a lot of info suggesting that you can't turn down the egr via vag com for the PD engines

This is a myth (well maybe on European models) as I just did it and wow what a difference it makes.

I found out that ross-tech says it isn't possible because they are under the assumption that the PD engine is using the bosche EDC16 chips, but the Cupra diesel has a EDC15P and it allows you to turn the egr down to almost nothing.

I've found that this now mean I can trundle around, in 5th doing nearly 30mph and the car no longer grumbles or feels like it will stall. (I don't always drive like this) Of course if I want to take off I still change down as not to kill my clutch.

This has mean that my revo'd curpa diesel is now averaging 58mpg around town. Before I was lucky to get 40.

It just feels so much better and instant on the off.

Also there seems to be less smoke as the turbo spins up.

I just followed the online guide and can confirm it works.

This is the guide

* To perform the following adaptations (except idle) you need to use the Login function.
* Enter 12233 as a Login code.
* Misuse of some of the adaptations can lead to engine failure.
* This is done at your own risk!
* Note that the EGR setting is for off-road use only...

[Select]
[01 - Engine]
[Login - 11]
Enter 12233 to activate special adaptations,
[Do It!]

[Adaptation - 10]
[Channel 003]

Give the throttle a tiny press and keep it like that.

You will see that it currently reads around 220 mg/h

Enter the new value 33768 / replacing the default
[Test]
Observe the "test value" field to make sure the adaptation setting is acceptable.
[Save]

You will see the this figure go up to around 330 mg/h and the % drop.

Ok so I haven't completely blocked it off but this will prolong the life of my engine / save me money and it is completely stock. ( no block off pipe and no errors ). Sorry environment., but I'm already being good with CO2, being a diesel.

Happy chappy and looking forward to my new suspension and brakes arriving soon. :D

Si_TDi_FR

Oct 6, 2009
Northallerton
Do you know what chip is used on the FR? I'd imagine same or very damn similar? I'll give this a go after the gym tomorrow evening :)

jscottuk

Think the ibiza diesels all use the same chip, so guess they will.

I'm by no means an expert on this. Just read about it somewhere else and thought I'd have a go.

george130

Mar 6, 2008
Norfolk
I had this done for about 2 years, then I blocked the pipe off completely with a blanking plate - £4ish on eBay. Peace of mind..!

shazo

Nov 26, 2009
anyone know if this will work on the ibiza FR BLT engine?
also im looking to buy vag-com so i can raise the revs and reset my power steering, any idea were i can pick it up for cheap?

Binz

Do you have to reset to normal EGR before MOT to pass emissions test?

jscottuk

I think they only test CO2 and smoke and not NOx in the UK. So should be fine.

You can always change it back if you wanted.

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
I did this a couple of weeks ago using a cheapo cable and VAGCOM 409.1. I'm not sure if I was able to save this function in the menu. Mine's an ASZ.

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
I did it on my 1.4TDI when i had it, not sure if i got any better MPG as it didnt have a MPG Computer

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Great! I'd never tried this as I'd thought it didn't apply to PD engines.

I followed the instructions on my remapped PD130 ASZ engine using 409.1 and ebay cable and it worked exactly as said (220 mg/h before and 330mg/h after). You can actually hear the engine tone change ever so slightly when you switch the value.

The only strange thing was that the first time I pressed test with the new value the save button was still grayed out.. Lippo.. is this what you mean about not sure if you saved it? I exited and went back in and repeated the process and the save button was now available, so I wrote the value. I turned the engine off and on again and read the value back to make sure it was saved.. which it was.

:clap:

mentalmechanic

Mar 16, 2010
I had this done for about 2 years, then I blocked the pipe off completely with a blanking plate - £4ish on eBay. Peace of mind..!

I have just done this to my 150 PD Leon 55 plate today. Reading about 355 mg/strk at idle now.

With reference to the above comment by george130, have you had any probs with the car that were related to turning it down? Turbo ok? MPG any different? Any EML come on?

I can't say I noticed a great deal in driveability. Turbo is definately more quiet when boosting at lower revs. Although you can still hear it quite nicely.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise