Winter tyres

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
A few 2010 european-based Winter Tyre test results:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-European-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm (225/45/17 tested)
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-European-Winter-Tyre-Test_2.htm (185/65/15 tested)
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-Auto-Zeitung-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm (195/65/15 tested)
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-Auto-Bild-Performance-Winter-Tyre-Test.htm (245/45/18 tested)

Bear in mind that some European tests will focus more on snow performance depending on location & typical weather; in UK I'd say you want a good balance of dry/wet/ice/snow performance all round.

EDIT: If you cover a reasonable mileage every day, it's worth noting that a lot of tyre tests now test rolling resistance too, which could have an impact on fuel consumption.

Need a new pair of tyres for the Passat, as two of the Wintersport 3Ds are quite low now...the Continentals TS830s are looking like a good candidate....similar results to the 3Ds but with lower rolling resistance. Hmm.

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
i was going to ask if anyone had experience of the Nokian WRG2's as i'm looking at getting a set of these for the winter (nov-mar) after seeing them reccomended on tyrereviews.co.uk http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2010-Winter-Tyres-Buying-Guide.htm
i take it they will be getting another run out this season?

anybodey else used them, any good???

They are indeed classed as an "all season" tyre, but I recall the reviews I went through a while back before buying a set, found they outperformed a number of dedicated winter tyres. Price was good too.
Remember that typical wintry conditions in UK are cold/wet roads, sometimes slushy/icy, and occasionally snowy, so you want something that's reasonably good at all of those.
So although the WRG2s (which I don't think are that old, think the the G2s came out in 2008 as a successor to the WR ?) may not appear top of the Swiss/Austrian winter tyre tests mentioned by Mr Shrimp, remember the requirements in those countries probably put more emphasis on outright snow/ice performance.

At the end of the day though - any of the ones mentioned in those review links above will be much, much better than any summer tyres !

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
A vaguely related question - has anyone bought a 12v impact wrench to help with the task of swapping wheels over ?
Changing 2 car's worth of wheels over twice a year gets a bit tiresome, was wondering whether to invest in a 12v impact wrench - are they much good at removing wheel nuts and would it speed the job up as much as I hope ?

I've had a couple of them and I have to say that they were a god send when it came to undoing seized bolts on suspension parts, but I'm not sure whether they'd be a bit of an overkill for wheel nuts. Then again, for the £20 or so that they cost, it's worth it even if it saves you a little bit of time and effort.

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
mine are going on this weekend

Really ? Doesn't seem cold enough yet - I've waited till late November / early December in previous years :shrug:

Now I've said that, it'll be snowing within a couple of weeks :D

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I've just ordered a couple of Continental Wintercontact TS830s to replace the worn-out pair of Dunlop WinterSport 3Ds for the Passat...

...I'm not sure whether they'd be a bit of an overkill for wheel nuts. Then again, for the £20 or so that they cost, it's worth it even if it saves you a little bit of time and effort.
I'm thinking two car's worth of wheels, twice a year - that's a lot of effort with a wheelbrace saved...off to have a look at what's available !

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
Any good suggestions for winters for my 07 frtdi standard alloys (225, 45, R17) definitely getting some as had a nightmare last winter time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I take the cars to a garage and pay them a tenner for a privilege.

Money well spent imo as to DIY is a PITA and takes 3x longer. Ramp in the air and 10 mins you're done.

Any good suggestions for winters for my 07 frtdi standard alloys (225, 45, R17) definitely getting some as had a nightmare last winter time
I personally recommend Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 based on experience with them, but I'm not sure if you're saying you already have a spare set of alloys in that size, or you want to replace your summer rubber with new winter tyres?
If the latter, it's worth considering the Tyremen offer above or getting steel wheels, as the smaller sizes are so much cheaper that it actually offsets the cost of the wheels.

For example, on mytyres at the moment:

4 x Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 in 225/45 R17 fitment = £667.20 inc VAT and delivery

4 x Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 in 205/55 R16 fitment, pre-fitted and balanced to new steel wheels = £606.40 inc VAT and delivery

... so it's cheaper to buy the skinnier tyres AND wheels than it is to buy the fatter tyres on their own. Then you'll have a spare set of wheels to swap over come spring - and back again next winter. This is better for both sets of tyres rather than repeatedly removing and refitting the two sets of tyres on the same wheels. Also, you'll save a lot in fitting/balancing costs because you can swap over the wheels yourself when the seasons change without needing to involve a tyre fitter.

Using narrower fitment obviously means you will have less grip for high speed cornering etc in the dry, but how much driving on the limit will you plan to do in the winter anyway... and the narrower tyres are better at biting into deep snow because the weight of the car is concentrated on a narrower area. ;)

phantombantam

NUFC forever!
Jan 23, 2006
Co Durham
I have got some bbs seat sport 18 s on at the moment so was going to get winters for my original fr alloys (17 inch)that are in my shed I haven't really got room to store another set of wheels so will be putting Tyres for winter on the 17s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alibali45

Will 5 spoke Audi tt competition wheels fit my LCR? Can't remember the size now, it's either 16" or 17". A relative has got some & I was thinking of using them for winter instead of rinsing loads of money on 18" tyres and destroying my wheels!

I think I've read on here that the Cupra brakes are too big to fit any 16" or even most 17" alloys, sadly. You should be able to test this quite easily by taking off a front wheel and trying one of the spare alloys to see if it'll clear the brakes OK.

alibali45

I think I've read on here that the Cupra brakes are too big to fit any 16" or even most 17" alloys, sadly. You should be able to test this quite easily by taking off a front wheel and trying one of the spare alloys to see if it'll clear the brakes OK.

Spose it's the best way, it's just that he lives in Birmingham so it's having time to go. I was told by a tuner that they have fitted multi piston brakes (I think 4 pots) to a mk1 tt and those wheels did fit, just thought I'd try and check on here before going any further!

rllmuk

Apr 23, 2005
30th October for me, but that's only because my weekends are busy till then and I've got two cars to swap over!

Haddock

Burning Oil @ 140
Mar 19, 2006
Yorkshire
I like to struggle a bit at least once... so usually December till March for me!!

This will be the Vredesteins 4th winter, done really well for wear - but will have to look at a new pair for the front next year....

dmkay_80

Mar 23, 2010
Durham
Im wanting some winter tyres too but i cant afford Vredesteins or other premium brands but im not wanting to put part worns on. What about cheaper alternatives? I know they wont be as good but surely they are better than the standard tyres?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members