car starts but cuts out immediately

Chez

Dec 29, 2002
Edinburgh
Visit site
hi guys, looking for a bit of advice on a problem with starting the car, i've had a search but can't find anything.

car is 2001 ibiza cupra 20vt

drove the car last 2 weeks ago, all was fine, went to start it this afternoon and it turns over and fires but the revs drop and cuts out instantly. When i put my foot on the accelerator and start it, it starts, revs and cuts out instantly, the revs seem to hold at 500rpm for a split second before cutting out.
Theres plenty charge in the battery, i turned it over at least 10 times and it fired instantly each time.
ive checked boost pipes, air box, exhaust, did a fault code scan- which showed no faults.
Nobody has been near the car in the last 2 weeks and all was well then.
it does have a little petrol in, 20 miles on screen and needle rises from zero.

Im looking for any ideas i can try, ive left the car 6 weeks before and it started instantly.

cheers

Chez

Dec 29, 2002
Edinburgh
Visit site
all lights go out as usuall including the immobiliser one, (assuming thats the key in the car light).

will try more fuel.

Any ideas to find if its the immobiliser?

cuprawill

Turbo lag is foreplay
Nov 20, 2009
have a look at the fuses the one that controls the imobiliser also controls the one window, mine blew in and did exactly the same thing.

Chez

Dec 29, 2002
Edinburgh
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions guys,

I put more fuel in today, now has a quarter tank, have tried turning it over and it turns, turns, turns but doesnt start now.
I had it charging the battery from our other car so could try many times.

All fuses seem ok and both electric windows working.

i'll give a mechanic i know a call tomorrow to see if he can pop round, maybe be something simple as putting new sparkplugs in?

Any more ideas welcome in the meantime

cheers

BenHartshorne

mine same mate starts then it goes dead, i think immobiliser is kickin in. im gettin a mechanic tomorrow so ill let you no if u havent already sorted it.

Chez

Dec 29, 2002
Edinburgh
Visit site
**UPDATE**

Had diagnostics guy out today and he said its not immobiliser related.

Said it was a supply voltage prob to the ecu, said there should be a live and a switch live to the ecu and there was either no connection or bad connection somewhere along the circuit. (or maybe bad earth?)

Would need the car into the workshop to do further investigation.

I suggested maybe ignition relay?,

string

Mar 5, 2008
Derbys
i had this happen last week. Turned out to be a pipe come off the intercooler. It would turn over then die. If you unplug the air flow sensor will it still run? without the sensor attatched it'll run naturally not by the ecu. which may be a clue to a split hose or pipe off like mine!? it felt like mine was getting too much air or fuel.... then found the pipe had come off. not sure if this is of help.

venner

Drives Ibiza Cupra T
Apr 21, 2009
Near Bristol
i had this happen last week. Turned out to be a pipe come off the intercooler. It would turn over then die. If you unplug the air flow sensor will it still run? without the sensor attatched it'll run naturally not by the ecu. which may be a clue to a split hose or pipe off like mine!? it felt like mine was getting too much air or fuel.... then found the pipe had come off. not sure if this is of help.

I had the same issue aswell and it was the charge pipe that had come off that goes over the engine.

I couldnt tell it had popped off as the heat wrap was around it but as soon as i removed it i could see it had popped off at back of engine bit.

SM

did you look if come petrol to injectors? when you turn on the key of the contact, the exhaust smoke is black?

string

Mar 5, 2008
Derbys
when i turned the key to start it mine sounded like a induction kit was on but magnifyed. but as soon as the air flow sensor was pulled it started, revved up etc.

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
I don't think it would be the immobiliser, otherwise surely it wouldn't start at all?

I'd suggest a split or more likely not connected pipe, and would also suggest trying it without the MAF connected.

BenHartshorne

good day for me today. mine started after 3 months :clap:, got an auto sparki out a couple of days back and he told me the flashing car and key means its the key gone. before i was worried it could be the reciver round the barrel or worse costing alot of money to fix. today i misplaced the main fob key so i got the spare key to move the car to my mates farm. i jumped in the car, put it in gear because i couldnt be botherd pushin it out of the garaged, cranked it over and it started to fire a little. i noticed the flashing light went out so i went to start it again and it fired straight up. left it to warm up and tuck it for a spin. oh the joy :D.

sorry for the essay but maybe u guys having a similar problem could try this

cheers ben

BenHartshorne

is that post to me or chez? if its me no, i got mine out it was damp outside the metal casing but bonedry inside. these ecu's are a joke, no protection at all except a sh***y piece ov plastic stuck on top

Chez

Dec 29, 2002
Edinburgh
Visit site
my ecu was a little damp on the casing but dry inside, the plugs were dry too. i sat the ecu in my boiler cupboard for 2 weeks just incase too.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members