Highly reccomended!!!

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
I have a MK2 Leon reference sport with the aero kit and the twin pipe back box, can i have a mufflerectomy and still keep the back box and what exactly does it involve ?

Mufflerectomy removes the back box by having a straight pipe from the the cat to the tail pipes so to answer your question no you can't keep the back box.
Alex

andyspencer

Eat My Soot
May 19, 2008
Birmingham
Mufflerectomy removes the back box by having a straight pipe from the the cat to the tail pipes so to answer your question no you can't keep the back box.
Alex

.. what alex said :D ... i specified a spiltter and two round tail pipes, to keep in with the aero theme. So it doesnt look any different to std aero kit. But my god how it makes a difference. :D

N Jardine

Apr 2, 2009
Northern Ireland
so ur car sounds like it has a dump valve (TIDY):lol: U may get some odd looks and fellas/ladies laughing at u ... there a fellas round my area wiv this mod done and i think it is s**t sounds patetic. power gains might be ok, do it right r don't do it at all!!!

andyspencer

Eat My Soot
May 19, 2008
Birmingham
its done right i can assure you :D .. its not a dump valve sound though. it just makes a subtle 'owww' sound when the turbo shuts off. Like i say though, done properly :)

Benzy

Jan 30, 2010
is there a pipe made specifically for the mk 2 leon. or is this something that you made with a pipe bender?

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
its done right i can assure you :D .. its not a dump valve sound though. it just makes a subtle 'owww' sound when the turbo shuts off. Like i say though, done properly :)

In Northern Ireland, all of the Boras, Golfs and Toledos have decats and straight through pipes for exactly that sound, bit of a "poooooow" when you lift off throttle for changing gears.

We call it the pigeon sound :lol:

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
is there a pipe made specifically for the mk 2 leon. or is this something that you made with a pipe bender?

The are 2 routes you can go down, either the Custom route where an exhaust fabricator will make a custom job just for your car or via the mainstream route with the likes of Milltek, Blueflame, Piperworks etc.
For Mufflerectomy, any exhaust place will be able to do it for you. Its just a case of taking off the current exhaust and then sticking a straight pipe though and then adding a Tail Pipe of your choice at the end.
Alex

andyspencer

Eat My Soot
May 19, 2008
Birmingham
in theory, most garages can cut / bend / weld the pipe and attatch a tailpipe. But its about quaity of work etc. i heard some horror stories from other people. Stick to reputable people. Miltek, powerflow, mongoose, blueflame etc.. Their webpages let you locate your nearest dealer, etc. But a word of advice. For power gains etc, dont let them talk you into having a sports cat or backbox.. Quite simply, your diesel 140 doesnt need either. Best power is gained from straight through.

Benzy

Jan 30, 2010
ok thanks andy, i shall give them a call. i think the nearest one to me will be powerflow so ill see what they say

Art0ir

TDi Ho
Sep 21, 2009
Newry
Is this mufflerectomy lark all about the sound or are there any performance gains?

It will keep your EGT's down, but unless you're running huge power performance gains will be minimal..

A lot of people say its great for improved airflow, etc but on most diesels the down pipe is the most restrictive part of the exhaust system anyway :shrug:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise