car cutting out

lee32

Another problem i encountered earlier for the 1st time since owning the car, it took 3 attempts to start my motor each time it started it lost all power and cut out and when i did get it going a plume of smoke out of the pipe and a fair amount of water, any ideas anyone? its been ok since this all happened this morning. it best not be another problem the car has only done just under 19800 miles!

shazo

Nov 26, 2009
if your starting the car and it starts then cuts out right away it sounds like the immobilizer fault.
but im not too sure on the smoke and water...
does the key symbol flash when the engine cuts out?

lee32

nope nothing flashed apart from the usual lights which come on when starting but they didnt flash they came on and went out as motor conked out, it never happenend to me before until yesterday!

bisto48

May 8, 2010
Oxford
what colour smoke was it? if it was white sounds like a head gasket. check your oil filler cap to see if there is white creamy substance on it (oil and water combines to make the white sludge)

lee32

ddint really notice the colour although id say it was more the usual grey, surely a head gasket couldnt of blown on only 19800 miles!

bisto48

May 8, 2010
Oxford
i dont know a lot about these engines to be honest. I know that the old rover k series was well know for chewing up head gaskets in no miles at all! It might have been the ecu getting a bit confused! If its ok now i wouldnt worry to much. Still have a look at your oil filler cap to to make sure

lee32

ok ill have a butchers, ill tell you something which i dont understand though it likes to drink a bit of oil there isnt a leak but it does like it, ive put in that magatec stuff not sure if that has anything to do with it, its only a 1.4 so hardly a show stopper

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.