Windscreen chips

Rauer

Hey guys
Ive got a stonechip ony windscreen and am worried about mot , I always thought it was only if it was in the viewable area but my mate told me he thinks it changed and it's the whole screen is that true as I have one in the centre of my screen but quite low down!

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
If I remember rightly it has to be smaller than one size if it's in the drivers swept window, or it can be slightly larger anywhere else on the screen. So your mate is correct. It's been like that for a while though, it's not a recent thing?

If it's a crack then it should fail straightaway, only a chip will be ok.

Now someone will come along and once again say that I've been taken for a ride with one of my previous MOT's!

Rauer

Ooo best get a new screen then as it does have a crack but you can't see it unless you know its there as its in the black bit, do u guys think I should sake for a oem screen or are other ones just as goo these days

lee_woollett

Jan 19, 2009
northampton
i thought the law was if it was outside the wiper area, it could be a certain size. On drivers side it could be max 5mm and 10mm on passenger side. Don't quote me on it though. I have a small chip in my screen, almost dead centre and its about 4 - 5 mm across and it went through the last MOT without issues.

Grippo

Sep 14, 2010
Manchester
If a chip, get Autoglass to fill it in for free, they did this to mine on the passengers side and told me this would pass MOT. I think eventually i will have to replace though - think its getting slightly bigger with the whole cold to hot temps in the morning

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members