Leon FR170 TDI won't start

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
Hi All,

Apologies if this has already been covered, not had chance to search for an answer. Late getting to Brum this afternoon, and quickly found a PC to use for a few mins. Any relevant thread links, please post!

Right, quick intro MK2 '08 reg Leon FR 170 (TDI), approx ~17k miles. Serviced yearly regardless of mileage, had it since "new" 16 miles on the clock.

Last year, prior to first service the car intermittantly wouldn't start. Took a good 10 secs for it to turn over and start when it did. Had gaps of a number of weeks then wouldn't start at all. Called SEAT Assistance (AA?) and the patrol guy sprayed something into an intake I think? Started first time. Was fine after that.

Car went in for 1st service July 2009, no fault codes logged. All was good.

Car went in for 2nd Service July 2010, no fault codes found.

Couple of months ago, car took a while to start again, very rough idle, few revs and all was good. Just put it down to "one of those things". Same thing happened again 3 weeks ago. Took 3 attempts to start the car, rough idle. Fine for the rest of the week.

Just come back off holiday (car been sat on drive for 2 weeks) and attempted to start the car this morning (for Brum journey) and car wouldn't start. Tried again, after 10 secs of attempt the oil light graphic appeared on the display and oil light started flashing. Checked oil level, OK. Tried once more, oil light flashing again and gave up.

I'm going to get the RAC to tow me to the garage on either Sun/Mon, and confirmed that garage can look at the car on Mon PM.

The starting problem has one thing in common - always happens when car hasn't been used for a couple of days. Battery terminals has been checked on previous occasions. No problems with the DPF and seems to regenerate OK.

The oil graphic on the display is a new one.

I know what will happen, car will go in and start first time and no fault codes logged. Definately a problem somewhere. Warranty ends next year and want to nip this in the bud before it runs out.

Any ideas on the problem? Manual hinting at Engine Oil Pressure?

Regards
Goot :)

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
Quick update. RAC refused to tow me without first "attempting" to start the car. Out came the EasyStart spray (other known brands are available!) and patrol guy started car. Took it to the dealer, no faults found.

Damn RAC. What happened to RAC doing diagnostics work?
It's been reported to SEAT HQ (thanks IMG)

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Fuel pump relay sounds even more likely to me.

The easy start acted as enough fuel to start the engine, the vibration of this rattled the relay and made a good connection...................................for a while.

PompeyPete

Like a Golf, But more fun
Sep 20, 2010
Southampton
picasaweb.google.com
Starting issues with 07 MY TDI FR

Hi all, I have a question that is loosely linked to Starting problems.....I have recently bought my TDI FR 07MY just over a month ago and noticed that the car starts with a struggle in the mornings or of course from cold. Dont get me wrong...It starts, but has a slight stutter before firing up. I know all the usual stuff that diesels start worse than petrols and that they sound "Tracktoresq'" but is it something i should be concerned about... I am a bit paranoid about my car anyway because i'm convinced that on the day i picked it up from the dealer (not SEAT) the guy put that days date on the service book...!! So then i checked the oil colour and it seems black already...(this is all with one week of the alleged Service!! Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks to one and all.:(

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Brand new diesel engines have honey coloured oil for about 3k miles before the black sets in. older diesel engines will have honey coloured oil for about 3 miles after an oil change. If you really really try you can flush the engine out a few times and then change it but you revert back to the brand new 3k miles situation before it goes black.

Black oil is the norm for diesel engines.

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
Car struggled to start this morning, took about 10secs cranking and then coughed and spluttered for a few seconds. Fine after that. I reckon it will fail to start in a couple of weeks..... then I'll get Mr RAC to do some proper diagnostic work :)

Goot

There Can Be Only One!
Sep 9, 2002
Cheshire
No problems with this issue since last post. Car has been left on the drive for a number of days and started first time everytime. I've probably jinked that now, but no idea what the problem was!

Goot :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.