Leon fr tyres

ash101

May 6, 2010
Neath
Hi there i have an fr tdi 170 with 18 inch alloys(225/40/18).Now anyone with an fr with the 18 inch alloys on will know that the ride and tyre noise is pritty harsh.
So im just wondering if anyone knows or have thought about putting on 45 profile tyres instead of the 40s.
If my calculations are correct the difference in profile is only about 11mm so i dont think there would be an issue with the tyres rubbing the wheel arches.
Now i know this would increase the ride hight by 11mm and im trying to imagine how this would look.

What are peoples thoughts on this and do you think it would improve the ride comfort and noise levels and do you think this would compromise the handeling to much.

Just a Thought you can tell me if its a stupid one!!

I don't think it's going to improve the ride much and might affect the performance and speedo too. Changing the suspension is a better use of money IMHO. At least that's what I did with my FR: got some Eibach Pro Kit springs and Koni FSD dampers fitted and it made a huge difference. ;)

TheDean

Aug 17, 2010
It's always going to be a harsh ride in the FR with 18's. It's bad enough with my 17's!!! As Shrimp said, this is only going to be resolved by changing suspension. However, dropping down to 17's and adding the Ebach Pro/Sportlines would help, and keep cost down.

However, dropping down to 17's and adding the Ebach Pro/Sportlines would help, and keep cost down.
But changing to 17" will mean purchase of 4 x alloys and 4 x tyres - you're talking quite a bit of money to do that for (in my opinion) negligible change to the ride quality. Then you've got the cost of springs and fitting on top.

Getting the Eibach Pros and FSDs sourced and fitted cost me around £700 last year from Jabba. You could easily spend that much on new wheels and tyres, especially if you choose good tyres and nice alloys... :(

However, you could always get some winter tyres on 16" steel rims and be safe for the winter. Wouldn't address the ride quality completely but it would help a bit no doubt.

EDIT: or get the 16" SEAT OEM alloy + winter tyre package from Tyremen, if steelies are a step too far for you looks wise? ;)

Last edited:

mrcoyote

See no evil...
Jul 26, 2004
It's fine on my FL FR with 18" wheels, but then again you haven't said whether yours is a pre or post facelift model.

noktoto

Mar 10, 2008
Poland
Pro-Kit/FSD with 18" wheels is more comfortable then standard pre FL FR suspension with 17" wheels (and 1P looks rubbish on 17"s).

Dan_FR_DSG

Jan 16, 2008
Basingstoke, Hampshire
Pro-Kit/FSD with 18" wheels is more comfortable then standard pre FL FR suspension with 17" wheels (and 1P looks rubbish on 17"s).

Agreed. 17s look lost on a standard FR but thankfully with the aero kit it looks a lot better proportioned. Still would prefer 18s and a drop but still waiting for that money tree to grow :)

Go the suspension route rather than wheels. That set up has been rated highly by lots of people on here.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.