Bondiblu's Mk4 Tdi

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Yes, the ones you remove have a split in them, so pry the bracket off with a screw driver, and the new ones have a split in them, so just push over the bar.

Mine were supplied with a little sachet of copper grease too, to stop any squeaks and to help with getting them on. I found it a little tricky getting the bracket over the new bushes, but got there in the end, the lubricant helped.

Also relocating the brackets was fun haha, patience was the answer.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Hi and thank you. I got my chrome surrounds of eBay and fitted them when I had the instrument cluster out to change the LEDs

c123840d-8278-5cc8.jpg

c1238404-82a0-ef62.jpg

c1238431-82c6-8b57.jpg

adam_may

Mar 5, 2010
Sheffield
Yes, the ones you remove have a split in them, so pry the bracket off with a screw driver, and the new ones have a split in them, so just push over the bar.

Mine were supplied with a little sachet of copper grease too, to stop any squeaks and to help with getting them on. I found it a little tricky getting the bracket over the new bushes, but got there in the end, the lubricant helped.

Also relocating the brackets was fun haha, patience was the answer.

Ok cheers. Ill get some ordered! Was changin the LEDs hard? They look spot on! Where abouts in derbyshire r u from?

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Ok cheers. Ill get some ordered! Was changin the LEDs hard? They look spot on! Where abouts in derbyshire r u from?

I live near Alfreton. Changing the LEDs wasn't hard, just took a little time and a steady soldering hand. There's a thread in the MK4 section with loads of pics.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
just noticed your dial surrounds are stuck to the lense...i was looking for the ones that go on the black plastic trim which i've seen around...

looking good though, zenith grey is deffo best colour...not that i'm bias :)

p.s. why is your airbag warning light on?

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
just noticed your dial surrounds are stuck to the lense...i was looking for the ones that go on the black plastic trim which i've seen around...

looking good though, zenith grey is deffo best colour...not that i'm bias :)

p.s. why is your airbag warning light on?

Haha Well spotted. When I had the cluster out, I hadn't plugged it in properly before turning the car on, so it logged all sorts of faults. Luckly for VAG-COM :doh:

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
It's that time of the year, so I've just ordered some Osram Night Breakers, H7 and H3 and philips extreme 501's so hopefully my standard lighting will be better.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
It's that time of the year, so I've just ordered some Osram Night Breakers, H7 and H3 and philips extreme 501's so hopefully my standard lighting will be better.

Received today and fitted this evening. A highly recommended MOD. Lighting is a lot better, and looks the part, yet not over the top :funk:

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
I've order and received my heated washer jets, started the DIY loom. I'm running these through a relay, but it appears they won't draw much current. At room temp they measure approximately 60 Ohms, at a max of about 14V is close on 0.25A and about 3.25W of power each.

I've come to the conclusion they are connected in parallel. I intend to switch the relay with the rear demister circuit, but as standard they are on permanently so unsure whether to just connect them up so they come on with the ignition

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
If they draw so little it wouldn't be a problem would it? Perhaps instead of ignition could you wire it into the sidelights? You prob won't need them during the daytime, mostly just cold/dark mornings, that's my experience anyway. I was going to wait for you to do a guide before trying it myself though :D

Hahaha ok, still working on it, brain is ticking over slowly. Sidelights may be an idea, thanks.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Well Ive had a busy Christmas period and the heated washers are still not connected, but decided they are getting connected to the live on the wiper motor, which means they'll come on with the ignition. So when I get the chance, i'll pop the wipers off, remove the scuttle tray and connect them up.

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Plans for the coming year:

Softer suspension

Rear ARB - Done

20mm Wheel spacers - Done

Full Milltek exhaust, turbo back

Alloy refurbishment (anthracite)

Clutch Upgrade - Done ( Sachs Organic )

Last edited:

Bondiblu

Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2007
Cheshire
Log:

Finally the time has come for a clutch upgrade, and after a lot of discussions, humming and harring I've decided not to go for the CG Motorsport clutch, and have ordered a Sachs organic uprated clutch kit and a standard Sachs DMF. Should have all the parts by the weekend, then fitting is booked in for the 14/03/2011