PD170 Stuttering Problem Solved

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
As most of you know ive had a stuttering problem for ages (Well since DPF Removal), It does it mainly when launching from a roundabout or traffic lights in 1st and 2nd gear and then when on motorways when accelerating in 5th and 6th.

Ive read about a fix for PD130,PD140,PD150 & PD160 Engines so ive tried it out on the PD170 and it seems to have fixed it :D:D:D Been for a 40 minute drive since and not been able to replicate the stuttering

So whats needed:

1x Part Number:028131547B (£2 From Dave @ SERE Motors)
1x T50 Torx Bit

Below is the original Gasket (Top) and New Gasket (Bottom)
P1010226.jpg

And this is where the old one came from and the new one is going
P1010227.jpg

Basically all as you do is remove your engine cover and undo the two T50 Bolts off the metal pipe! Pull the pipe away from the EGR, Mine was stuck so i used a biggish screwdriver to do it,My old gasket was also stuck on so i also used a smaller screwdriver to pull that off the pipe and remove it.

Slide the new gasket in and fasten it all back up

Takes literally 5 minutes :D

As i said it seems to have solved mine! Not been able to replicate it but im not promising it will fix everybody's but for £2 its worth a try

Last edited:

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Sweet!! Dave was amazed when I mentioned it to him a while back when I was ordering mine. Are you glad sometimes that the VAG range all share parts? :D
Alex

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Yep he told me its off a MK3 Ibiza originally

Im just hoping it doesn't return when i do my motorway runs again i tried hard to replicate it on Dual carriageway but it didn't do it :D

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Yep he told me its off a MK3 Ibiza originally

Im just hoping it doesn't return when i do my motorway runs again i tried hard to replicate it on Dual carriageway but it didn't do it :D

That is good, the fix was for the PD130s that were in the Beeza and the Furby vRS when customers started complaining about stuttering at certain rpms. For £2 its worth a punt eh?
Just allows enough Gas through to not throw up a EML and you still keep all the good stuff from having a fully functioning EGR (anti shudder etc)
I bought one but never got round to fitting it onto mine as I had the same stutter that you had as well.
Alex

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Yeh i read about it ages ago when i had my ibiza, but always thought it wouldn't fit the PD170 as the EGR is at front and completely different but it does

If they dont bring in this stupid rule about cars with DPF's need them in 2011 to pass MOT then i will be fitting a Race EGR anyway

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
I haven't got round to fitting mine, but with my new car on the way i won't need it now.

If anyone is suffering from it and wants to try this out send me a PM and i'll stick it in the post for you ;)

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Sean fit it! and see if it solves it

if it solves yours aswell then it will prove that it works

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
I don't think i've got a T50, only got upto T20 i think?

I'll get hold of one and try it on Wednesday aslong as it's not raining!

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Haha i did mine in the rain! Its literally undo the two bolts slide the old one out and slide the new one in

Unless its stuck like mine then needs some convincing with a screwdriver

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Is this the same problem as some of us are having when the engine is cold?

When mine starts from cold & is kept on a constant throttle at low revs, she can stutter a bit. Stays same until fully heated & then OK. Not sure if linked but also has trouble starting from hot as well.

If you think this swap out may help my problem please let me know.

Cheers

SeanCorky

BMW E92 335i M Sport
Sep 4, 2008
Liverpool
Is this the same problem as some of us are having when the engine is cold?

When mine starts from cold & is kept on a constant throttle at low revs, she can stutter a bit. Stays same until fully heated & then OK. Not sure if linked but also has trouble starting from hot as well.

If you think this swap out may help my problem please let me know.

Cheers

Thats the problem i have with mine.

Hopefully i'll get round to fitting it before my car goes to see if it does fix it

Shadders

Apr 14, 2009
Sandy
Sorry, I meant when started from cold & then driven with a constant throttle, not idling.

Also forgot to mention I run PD140 Sport so is this the same part?

Only seems to last until warmed & then fine. The warm start problem only shows when fully heated & driven for more than about 20mins. If I then stop & try to restart it stuggles to fire. Once started it runs fine.

Let me know how you get on Sean.

Cheers

mds1256

Facelift Leon Cupra
Jan 7, 2007
noticed any adverse affects from doing this?

If not im going to order one this week

ash101

May 6, 2010
Neath
Is that a modified/upgraded gasket and the old one has burned away.
If its modified can anyone explain how this works.
Cheers

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Nope its a new standard Part of a MK3 Ibiza basically just buy it and fit it, The old ones hole has always been that big

The old one has a bigger "hole" in the middle so by restricting the gasses that go back into the engine the stuttering has stopped

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
Does this have the potential to cause any dashboard lights to come on or errors logged?

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Nope it allows just enough gas through to register so it doesn't trigger a light, Its an official VAG Part so they wouldn't make something that would cause an error light

Many PD130,PD150 and PD140 Owners are also running this mod, Jimski has been running it for a while on his Ibiza PD130

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.