Engine "beep"?

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Guildford and Bristol (uni)
Hey guys,

I was washing my car this afternoon when I noticed a 2-3 second long beep/whine every 30 seconds or so. The noise was coming from the engine bay, just behind the drivers side headlight (on the engine).

I had used the car about half an hour or so previous to this, so may have still been slightly warm (however, cold day)

Not sure what it was, and has continued for the last hour or 2, so kinda worried! :cry:

If anyone can help, I would really appreciate it :)

Blakrover

Apr 28, 2010
Preston/Wigan
I used to get this beep when I was braking to a junction and stopping. The beep would continue until I took my foot off the brake. If I put my foot back on the brake again it wouldn't happen?

No idea what it is but figured it was normal :) curious to know what it was though!

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Well, it sounds like you are just getting squeaky brakes :lol:

My issue is when the car's completely still, engine off and idle for an hour or so..... I don't provoke the noise whatsoever, completely isolated and every 30 seconds or so.

When you say power steering, I know cars have that "whine" when steering at lower speeds, but that is very common and not an issue (Really really obvious on Minis).

However, it doesn't seem to be doing it now... perhaps it was just when it was cooling down?

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
i get the beep when i draw up to a junction sometimes, think it perfectly normal as i noticed my parents range rover does the same thing

Chris_a_73

1.2L Ibiza Mk4 '07
Oct 27, 2009
Yeah, usually just light pressure on the brakes causes this, right?

Mine is when the car is completely idle, engine off, with nothing to provoke it?! Ughh lol. Hasn't occured since yesterday so, all good.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members