*****Eagle F1 GSD3's, Buyer Beware*******

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Right lads, just a heads up for anyone getting new tyres.

As the weather is a lot wetter at this time of year my tyres only had about 3/4mm thread left on the fronts I decided to get a new set.
So anyway I popped down the local tyres centre to see what they had, to my delight I seen a set of Goodyear Eagle F1's GSD3 on the rack, size 225/40/18, nice one I thought. I had a set of these about 2 years back and they were a great wet tyre, I had fond memories from them so I was stoked.

Anyway got them fitted, €135 each fitted, so not the cheapest tyre on the rack.

Anyway I have had these tyres on the car for about 2weeks now and I was super confused, the grip can only be described as horrific and dangerous in both the wet and dry, not good, like skate board wheels. I decided to look closer at the tyres and the print on them, everything was in order, the E mark followed by all the other stuff, then to my horror, "Made in China" WTF, the last set were, "Made in Germany".

I called Goodyear and they confirmed the Tyres were made in China and legit and there was nothing they could for me
It seems Goodyear have moved production of these tyres down to China and quality has obviously suffered, even to the touch the compound seems hard and not sticky to the touch even when warmed up.

So now I have to go and buy another F’ing set of tyres, I have driven budget tyres with better grip.

SO guys and gals look out and don't get caught like me.

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
I've run a set of German and Chinese F1's in the past and never noticed any difference.

There were a batch on F1's from Tiawan that were around last year which were causing problems as they aren't E marked and were the wrong compound for the UK climate IIRC.

Didn't think that you could get the GSD3s anymore, thought they had been replaced by the Assymetrics?

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
The guy, (who i know) said they were just in, he cannot vouch for where they were before that.I did call him back and he had another customer(Driving an STI) call up aswell saying the same thing as me, he has now sent all the GSD3's made in China back to the suppliers.

heatfan8

Insert witty comment here
Dec 2, 2008
Berkshire
surely you can get some kind of compensation? That is not on.....£270 for some crappy tires...I would be livid!

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
Don't know what the weather has been like where you are but cold, wet roads aren't the best conditions to bed tyres in. Could be a factor.

They are genuine Goodyear manufactured tyres so I doubt you have much comeback on them.

Henjo24

Thats alot of cash for rubbish tyres. My mate in the street also has an R like myself & runs on budget tyres I run on Michelin pilot and his budget tyres have more grip than mine.

20v roper

Dec 15, 2006
Funny this,I wanted some new fronts for my cupra a couple of months ago to replace the bridgestones it came on. I usually buy Toyo's but didn't want to go to my usual place so went elsewhere and got some f1's which everyone I know has been raving about. Frankly I think they are dog **** and although they are standard 16 inch tyres cost a fair bit. Had a bit of mother balancing them as my brembo's knocked the incorrectly positioned weights off, but I have thought what is all the fuss about how good f1's are? They have made my car handle really strangely, I was expecting the combo of Komi coilovers and top tyres to be a great drive, not really been the case. They struggle like a cat on laminate flooring at parking speed! I'm glad someone else has come forward with this problem too, I'm not impressed and will be taking a good look at my tyre Walls in the morning.thanks for Reading.

andycupra

status subject to change
and how do goodyear know they are legit? have they inspected the tyres?

its not as if someone making counterfit tyres would leave the e mark off to help you out..

on the flip side, the weather has been very cold and the goodyear f1 were known to be poor in freezing conditions...

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Predictive texting sucks! My coilovers aren't korni they are koni sorry chaps.
:cartman: My Ipad is the same.

and how do goodyear know they are legit? have they inspected the tyres?

its not as if someone making counterfit tyres would leave the e mark off to help you out..

on the flip side, the weather has been very cold and the goodyear f1 were known to be poor in freezing conditions...

They are genuine alright, we traced them back to the main importer for Goodyear in Ireland. And True, it bloody freezing here, -2 during the day, i won't expect any tyre to be up to much in this weather, more over i am driving like a granny cause of the ice.

But i noticed this when the weather was +10 a week or so back, the tyres were nice and warm to the touch and still performed poor on the dry roads.

Don't know what the weather has been like where you are but cold, wet roads aren't the best conditions to bed tyres in. Could be a factor.

They are genuine Goodyear manufactured tyres so I doubt you have much comeback on them.

As Above Craic.

Great, i'm screwed, i think these tryres a going straight onto the back for now.

Now i have to make the painful descision of what tyre to buy next, i always find making this decision hard, there are so many good/poor reviews for the same tyre :cry:

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
yep seems some batches are from China and others are made in other locations.

Seems a bit hit and miss what batch you get. Not the first i have heard of it, known of people getting a mixed batch as well.

Shame really as the old Eagle F1s used to be really good. Since they changed to GSD3s it seems to have gone downhill :(

hara

Sep 26, 2009
continent
1. new tyres need breaking in - mine took ca 500 miles. Before that they were noisy and slippy. Now they're perfect.
2. it's bloody freezing and cold summer tyres have no grip even if it's dry.

d3m0niTe

LCR 225
Jun 21, 2010
Bromley, Kent
I’ve got to say, I have goodyear eagle f1’s all round on my LCR and I can’t fault them. I’m sure there are better tyres but I wouldn’t say they were poor in any way.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.